Bottle opener exterior mount

This is a super important question!!
I need bottle opening convenience while camping, so I bought a wall mount bottle opener from hone depot. I’d like to put it right outside my door under the boondock handle.  

BUT
my only concern is mounting it in a spot with nothing for the screws to bite into.   I don’t want it he screwed pulling out after a few bottles. 

SUGGESTIONS??
thanks!!!!

Comments

• WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    That is a super important question!  Could you mount the opener on a small aluminum plate and somehow use the bottom two screws of the boondock handle to secure the plate?  You could paint the plate black to match the handle. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    I know on our 2021 400 BD there are aluminum frame tubes on both sides of the door frame sandwiched between the fiberglass/Azdel. That would give it something to bite into. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    edited October 2021
    How about putting one on your key chain? Easy access when you need it and no worries about damage to the wall of your T@B. 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2021
    Here's what I did..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7815/door-handle-mod
    When the door is propped open, the opener is outside, otherwise it's inside.
    And just in case, my Swiss Army Knife is also usually on my belt.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @mona, !!! 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 261
    Buy cans! They weigh less anyway.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • SnoblettSnoblett Member Posts: 99
    I love this forum!  Thanks everyone!
  • Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    How to Open Beer Bottle without a Bottle Opener - Bing video  Try this.  It works fine for me with a screwdriver, butter knife or similar flat bar.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
    edited October 2021
    I've used a (Bic) lighter in a pinch but most decent cork screws will have a bottle opener on them. That's what what we keep in our T@B just in case we need one. One tool serves two purposes. Or you could do this:

• SnoblettSnoblett Member Posts: 99
    UPDATE: I have come up with my solution!
    I loved all the great ideas and input. 

Regarding the aluminum frame surrounding the door, we called NuCamp and confirmed it is only 1” wide.  We didn’t feel comfortable working with only one inch. I had to let go of my dream of having a hard mounted bottle opener on the exterior of my camper.  

To explain why not a keychain, I don’t ever take my keys out of my purse.  I have one of those dumb push button ignitions on my car and that has changed my key keeping habits.  

I have a perfectly good metal bottle opener that is just like the one in @Da_@Da_Birds photo above.  That stays in my silverware drawer and I really like keeping it for inside use.  I’m a nut when I go camping that inside tools stay in the camper so I can always find them when I need them. Similar reasons apply to anything else that might be small, like those rings that you wear on your finger.  I have to say, I really like @mona ‘s chairs with built in openers, and that may be part of my future when I get new chairs some day.

So, here’s what I came up with.  I bought a giant carabiner and a 2” steel ring from Home Depot.  Harbor Freight sells bottle openers that resemble a 5/8 box open wrench.  And I had on hand and extra 1” circular split ring for keys.

My creation is somewhat reminiscent of the bathroom keys for gas stations that are attached to clunky pieces of wood so they can never get lost.

I snapped the carabiner to the crossbar of my joe-cheap guy aluminum folding table from Walmart.  It can stay there when the table is stowed or it can be placed elsewhere, but it’s difficult to lose because it’s clunky.  

I could even place it where @da_birds has his on my boondock handle, but I have other plans for another carabiner there.
    edited October 2021
    Glad you found a solution that meets your needs! Both of my suggestions were largely made in jest. I didn't think it was a good idea to permanently mount an opener. Not only because there could be a chance of damaging the trailer but also because there is a small chance it could "turn off" some potential buyers down the road if you ever decided to sell. Of course it could be a selling point for some....but you never know.
    I was thinking you might be able fabricate something that utilizes the exterior table mount. I've was thinking about how I could mount a can crusher in this fashion. However, I've concluded that this appears to be a solution looking for a problem and that my foot is probably the best tool for the job.