Back Shelf Lid Stay Holds Lid Up, Easy Down

2»

Comments

• plicatoplicato Member Posts: 12
    I finally got around to installing this mod.  Very convenient! Thanks @BrianZ for the great instructions!  Your measurements saved a lot of time.  I did, however, have to reposition the top bracket by about 1/4”.  My recommendation is to follow Brian’s measurements for the bottom plate, and then see where the top bracket lines up before putting in the top bracket screws.
    2018 T@B 320 S, 2014 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
  • badnutsbadnuts Member Posts: 9
    I spent about an hour trying to position the bracket until I came across your post.  The measurements worked perfectly!  The lid stays open and closes softly.  No more explicatives when the lid slams down on my hand.  By rolling clothes, this long cupboard along with the back cupboards can fit a week's worth of clothing (I get ⅔s and my husband the other ⅓).
    2017 T@B 320S, 2020 Hyundai Palisade, Duluth Minnesota
  • newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    I received the hardware today from Woodcraft Supply.  Can't wait to get it installed.  You did most of the work by carefully listing all the measurements.  Thank you BrianZ.  

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    Not a new mod, just the option we chose to maximize the heat from the rear convectors. We tend to make mods that are easy for us to undertake and do not permanently alter the wonderful functionality/design of the TAB. We removed the original rear cabinet and built a simple three sided box (two sided and back), and two lids. All made from materials I had laying around (cheap pine boards). The bottom of the box is cargo netting held in place with command hooks. We think this will increase the amount of heat flowing into the TAB without compromising storage space
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    Just saw this @BrianZ, as always... good ideas with great presentation.  It's motivating me to finally pull together my pics of the rear end of my 2015 post "corrosion debacle" episode 8^ ) 
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    BrianZ. I just installed the Sugatsune, SDS-C301N hold open on my T@B 320s. It worked perfectly thanks to your careful measurements.  Mine came without any instructions and after looking at the directions online, I was really grateful you did all the math.  I also changed out the hinges.  Coincidently, I had already purchased the same hinges thinking I was going to cut the top into 3 pieces to make the setup more manageable but with this hold open it wasn't necessary.  

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Glad to hear it worked for you, @newell
    To anyone considering cutting the lid into sections, please note that these hinges rely on the weight of the lid to close properly.  I'm not sure if it would still close correctly if cut.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods