Options

Tall guy in a TaB?

We have been tent campers for years and have been looking to move up to the comfort of a small trailer. We really like the idea of the small teardrop trailers but our biggest issue is my husband's height - 6'5". We've accepted that he won't be able to stand up in the trailer but he does need to sleep.

We're thinking that our best overall option is one of the models with an inside kitchen (although we would do most of the cooking outdoors) because of the larger bed - 70x73". Unfortunately even that bed is a few inches too short. Has anyone solved this problem? Would it be possible to position a box or something in front of the door temporarily to extend the bed a few inches?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Someone added an extension - Can't recall if it was a shelf or a small stool though. There's been quit a few discussions as there's quite a few tall husbands traveling in T@Bs.

My advice, ditch the tall guy ;-)
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    In our CS Max, There is a shelf covering the air conditioner adjacent to and level with the driver side bench.  That would act as an extension if I needed, but I'm not quite as tall as your husband and haven't needed to actually try it.  
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92

Life continues to get worse for us tall guys (I'm 6'2"). People are constantly asking for us to reach for items on the top shelf at the supermarket! I know, I know, how could others be so cruel? Trust me, people are very cruel!

I would find it emotionally difficult to point out all of the other challenges TALL GUYS endure! How about getting up from the window seat on a plane?? Enough of this. My emotions are getting the better of me (sniff). No one cares! "Oh...the humanity of it all!" 

Now, after years of hard work, supporting a family, sacrificing for the good of others, etc., TALL GUYS GET THE SHORT END OF THE T@B!

I'll not stand for this! TALL GUYS UNITE! (For what reason, I don't know.)

LET'S JUST UNITE! JOIN NOW!

• Options
  • Options
    Patti - You are aware that under that shelf is the main radiator for the Alde and the heat vents are on the front side. If you block those vents, no heat. So, would be ok in the hot months but wouldn't be a solution if you camp in cooler climes and need some heat.
  • Options
    Some of us who camp in colder climes - There's a whole thread from late last fall on this with pics - drilled vent holes in the top of that shelf to help the warm air escape the cabinet. We didn't feel the vent slots in the front were adequate and they can get blocked by bedding. Some also added retainers of various kinds so they can store things on that shelf.
  • Options
    Your welcome - thousands of threads here, hard to keep track of them all :-)
  • Options
    BWidgetBWidget Member Posts: 35
    6'4" T@B owner joining in. That was one idea I too was thinking of doing, some type of box for me to stretch out on. So far I've been OK sleeping at a slight angle or curl to make myself fit. I keep looking to see if anyone else has actually made a solution I like.
    Bill from Los Angeles Arizona
    2015 T@B S Maxx Outback
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk