Options

Victron App Load Output Current

Looking at the Load Output section on the Victron App, my load output current is reading 0.0 A despite multiple devices being on in my camper. How do I determine how much current my camper is using while I'm using its devices?

2022 T@b 400bd
2022 F-150
Gratitude

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    I'm pretty sure that "Load Output" reading is from the "load" connection on the Victron controller. I think that most T@Bs are wired so that the controller doesn't have anything wired to that connection. The devices in your camper are connected to the battery via the converter box, not via the "load" connection on the solar controller.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Correct, the Load side of the Victron Solar controller is not connected to anything, so you will not get any load readings on the app.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    B11B11 Member Posts: 42
    @Marceline & @Denny16 Thank you. So, how do I tell how much current is being used? Is that amount not shown in the Victron app?
    2022 T@b 400bd
    2022 F-150
    Gratitude
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    The Victron Solar controller does not report that info.  You need to get snd install a Victron Battery monitor or Smart Shunt.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    edited June 2022
    If there is nothing connected to the "load" output....there wouldn't be anything to measure, most likely.  Every solar controller I've owned had the most convoluted process to set up a "timer" to turn the load output off and on. I doubt it would be set to "turn on" unless you actually go in and set it up.
    I just grabbed a Victron controller manual, (MPPT 75-10) and here is the link to the "Load Output Settings".  The Victron app makes it easier than controllers without the app, but you can see it is still an involved process. If the link doesn't get there directly, see paragraph 5.2.2.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    B11B11 Member Posts: 42
    @pthomas745 Thank you for that link. I really appreciate it. I did look through the tiny manual they sent but didn't see this. I also looked through the app setting and saw the various options but didn't want to mess with them due to not wanting to screw something up before I knew more. I was trying to take it slowly and cautiously.
    The reason I thought the load info should be showing is that when I did some digging on the app in the "History" aspect of the menu, there was consumption data information that must have been from when the camper was under construction at nuCamp because we just picked it up from our dealer on Friday.
    Looks like I need to get a smart shunt to battery monitor.
    2022 T@b 400bd
    2022 F-150
    Gratitude
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    Denny16 said:
    The Victron Solar controller does not report that info.  You need to get snd install a Victron Battery monitor or Smart Shunt.
     Cheers 
    ???  The Victron solar controller has a load output, usually unused, and displays a section for load output on the VictronConnect app.  The Victron BMV or smartshunt does not have a display section for load output on the Connect app.  At least that's how my system works on both my T@b and my boat.

I agree getting a battery monitor with shunt is a good thing, to monitor battery energy used and energy remaining.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    True, the BMV does not display current load voltage as such, but does track your power (load) use at any given time,period, and how long your battery can sustain that load.  So it is tracking the current load, and proving reports.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    The recent new firmware download from Victron is very nice! In addition to the screens for each device that (I don't think) changed much, the intro to the app which used to just show the devices it saw now shows basic information for each device. This saves time as I frequently just want to see the system information at a glance. The attached is a shot where my batteries were down at 82% and being mostly recharged by my 2 panel remote setup and a minor amount from the roof array in the shade. I have a battery sensor on the shunt and found it interesting that the line losses from the controllers (under the driver side bench) and the batteries (currently in front bin) seem to show the resistance losses due to the different current pulls.  Both controllers are supposed to use the battery's level to control not the controller's sensed voltage. This slide shows some differences that seem to be accounting for the need to boost the output to make up for the losses.  I'll need to see more situations to verify how this works.  I didn't spend much time around the trailer this weekend to play with what ifs. Anybody talk with Victron about this? 
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    It just popped up on my Victron update yesterday, it might take some time to get the answers straight.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi