Options

Black tank usage question

A somewhat indelicate question. We are trying to get a handle in this living in an RV thing and it occurs to me that it might be a good idea to use the wet bath toilet and black tank only for #1 and use the campground facilities for #2. Or for emergencies, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Double-Doodie-Toilet/dp/B0024O0W94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438182552&sr=8-1&keywords=RV+toilet+liner which could be disposed of with the trash. 

Is this feasible? Would it make dumping the black tank a little easier to deal with?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Depends on how long you're camping. If the campgrounds has facilities, most use those other than in the middle of the night. With that routine, the black water doesn't fill up very fast.
  • Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    I decided not to use it. I use campground facilities...

I bought some doodie bags from walmart for #2 emergency: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Double-Doodie-Bags/14550463
    and some dog training pads for #1 emergency: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hartz-Home-Pro-Dog-Pads-100-Count/36266499
    So far, I haven't used either one of them....

I just don't want to deal with dumping and cleaning.... I got some Odorlos packets just in case, but I don't think I'm going to use it.
  • Options
    I worried about dumping but it turned out to be no big deal at all.
    I try to avoid the dump station if it's busy but most of the times it's not so don't feel any pressure to hurry things up.
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2015
    Yes, what PXL said. My inclination (and I'm a nurse, so used to dealing with indelicacies) is the same as Jiro's. But really, with gloves the dumping isn't bad at all. Start with just grey water and go from there later when your  technique is good. 
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    I have 3 questions.  We will be taking our very first camping trip with TAB S Sofitel Monday 8/3 for 2 nights/3 days.    The campsite has W,E,S.

1) Do I hook to the grey tank all the time, and only connect to the Black when we ready to leave on the 3rd day?
    2) Home to campsite is only 90 min so I plan not to fill the water tank when starting the trip.  And use the campsite water connection to fill up the tank on arrival.  And drain all faucets prior leaving (so with empty water tank on driving home).  Is this the right way to do?
    3) What's the water filter you use for the water connection hose so the water from faucet is "drinkable"?  Or I just stack the refig with water bottles?

Greatly appreciate your advice, and TIA.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2015
    For a 2 night 3 day trip we didn't hook up either grey or black. We used the camp bath house for showers and mostly for toilet too. If I did hook up it would have been grey water - I hear you don't really want the black tank to stay empty because the solids might dry and adhere to the walls.

Don't fill the water tank - not needed. You just hook the white hose to the spigot on the post and turn it on and your interior faucets work.  No pumping needed (but get the pressure regulator - less than $10 to protect your plumbing).

we got this filter:
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/tastepure-kdf-carbon-water-filter/18478

If I'm recalling correctly the sequence is: camp faucet -- pressure regulator -- filter -- white hose -- T@b attachment port. You can't see the filter and faucet on the right, and I forgot - we inserted an extra faucet on the outside where the hose goes into the T@b on the left. Wait. That's the little pressure regulator gizmo by the add-in faucet at the entry port too.  So it's camp faucet, filter, hose, pressure regulator, add in faucet then T@b port.

2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited July 2015
    PXLated said:
    I worried about dumping but it turned out to be no big deal at all.
    I try to avoid the dump station if it's busy but most of the times it's not so don't feel any pressure to hurry things up.
    So true.  Like everybody here I was nervous about the process years ago.  Like we all discover it is so easy with good equipment like the T@B has and a good quality waste hose like the Rinoflex and the connectors. 

There re are things in life to worry about and be nervous about learning, this should not be one of them.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Thanks all! This is very helpful for someone who has never even stepped into a RV before!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I have read-and experienced hooking the black tank all the time and I can tell you I won't do it again.  The waste doesn't all go down the drain each time.  It solidify to a sort of dried cement consistentcy and you'd need a chisel to remove the waste.  I read where the only solution is to install a new black tank if it builds up.   I don't hook up either grey or black hose to the sewer, I leave both closed off until I depart or its time to drain the tanks-then I add water via the shower hose to make sure the forceful water discharge removes all solids.  Then I drain the grey tank to wash out any residue in the hose that remains from the black/waste.  Sorry this is so long winded, but the waste built up in my other trailer and I couldn't dislodge it with an oak furring strip I rigged up.  That is my observation and opinion only.
  • Options
     I could see that - makes sense - not enough liquid to flush the solids.
  • Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Sgtjohn said:
    I have read-and experienced hooking the black tank all the time and I can tell you I won't do it again.  The waste doesn't all go down the drain each time.  It solidify to a sort of dried cement consistentcy and you'd need a chisel to remove the waste.  I read where the only solution is to install a new black tank if it builds up.   I don't hook up either grey or black hose to the sewer, I leave both closed off until I depart or its time to drain the tanks-then I add water via the shower hose to make sure the forceful water discharge removes all solids.  Then I drain the grey tank to wash out any residue in the hose that remains from the black/waste.  Sorry this is so long winded, but the waste built up in my other trailer and I couldn't dislodge it with an oak furring strip I rigged up.  That is my observation and opinion only.
    Hi Sgtjohn - Thanks for the advice.  Your message helps a great deal as this is my #1 concern besides safety.

Two questions:
    1. Why not connect to the grey tank all the time?  As it allows us to take as many showers during the 100+ degree and humid days.  And move to drain the black tank (using the method you mentioned to add water via the shower hose), then again to connect back to the grey tank and using the same method to wash thru the hose thru the grey tank drain?

2. I bought from Amazon Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15' Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fitting per suggestions from the Forum.  It compressed to 54 in so do not believe it will fit in the battery compartment.  What's the best method/way to store it?

We will be in Galveston 8/3 for our very first camping trip.  Hope to see you TABers there.
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That's the hose we use, and it fits in the battery box fine. (It can bend while it's compressed)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    We have been rv camping since 2009 with a travel trailer and have gotten full hook-up many times. We do not leave the gray tank open as there are odors that come from the sewer hook up at the campground that we didn't want in our trailer.  We used the sewer hook up as a dump station only because of this.  
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I use campground facilities wherever possible and have a de facto policy that only liquid goes into the black tank.  :)  Of course, emergencies are acceptable.  I try to use a portable toilet kit in the T@B toilet whenever possible to avoid black tank management. 
    Portable toilet kit --
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/go-anywhere-toilet-kit-12-pack/24397
    As others have written, dumping is easy with gloves and a Rhino system.  I've read to dump black first and then grey - that allows dish and other soap to "clean" the hose.
    The grey tank in the 2014s and earlier is pretty small and I did run into an issue with filling it up on Memorial Day weekend because I was cleaning vegetables and washing dishes.  It was a lesson learned about water conservation.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The gray tank is 18 or 19 gallons, I think.

That's a lot of clean veggies!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    twocutes said:
    I use campground facilities wherever possible and have a de facto policy that only liquid goes into the black tank.  :)  Of course, emergencies are acceptable.  I try to use a portable toilet kit in the T@B toilet whenever possible to avoid black tank management. 
    Portable toilet kit --
    http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/go-anywhere-toilet-kit-12-pack/24397
    As others have written, dumping is easy with gloves and a Rhino system.  I've read to dump black first and then grey - that allows dish and other soap to "clean" the hose.
    The grey tank in the 2014s and earlier is pretty small and I did run into an issue with filling it up on Memorial Day weekend because I was cleaning vegetables and washing dishes.  It was a lesson learned about water conservation.
    We try to use toilet for #1 only and the campground facilities for #2 whenever possible, thanks for the link for emergency options. I try to prepare fruits/vegetables at home to avoid having to prep them while camping...saves time and water.
  • Options
    shorthillssummitshorthillssummit Member Posts: 9
    I've found dumping not enjoyable (of course) but ez. I don't mind especially when it's so darn nice to have a loo.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I've had my T@B for a little over 3 weeks and I just came back from almost 3 weeks of camping.  I used a portable gray water tank only for the first 10 days, and used the Double Doodie bags in the toilet for #1 and the campground facilities for during the day and my own facilities at night.  Easy to dispose of. 

So, the portable gray water tank was easy to dump at the dump station. Learn in steps.

Last week at Tearstock, I used the portable gray water tank for about a day and a half, and then I started using both the gray and black water tank.  What a better way to learn than with so many experienced people around me? 

So, as I was leaving the campground, I emptied the black water tank first, then the gray tank to rinse the residue from the black water tank.  It worked.  I love those blue nitrile gloves!

Learn in steps.  Don't use the black water tank first, just the gray water.  It's just sink and shower water. Or just jump in with both feet and use them both.  You'll be amazed about how much easier it is than you thought it would be.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”