Options

For Those Weboost Users Out There, Keep the TV Coax and Weboost

For those of you using a cell booster with your T@bs out there. I wanted a clean look and still keep my TV cable accessible for the rare times I use it. 

I have my weboost amplifier under my closet in my 2019 400 to keep the look clean. I added a double coax cable jack on the exterior to keep my cable running to my TV and then to have an easy port to screw in my external antenna for the weboost at camp. 

Thought I'd share. Before I was running my cable into my camper from the access for the low point drains. The exterior door was not able to close due to the size of the cable, so this works much better.

Link to Amazon is below as well for anyone wanting to do the same thing. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082FYWWK7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2019 T@B 400
2014 VW Touareg TDI 

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,214
    Nice work! Which weboost do you have and do you feel it works well? I tried their cheapest option (forget the name but it was only $200 or so) and I didn’t notice a difference but it sounds like you have to buy the more expensive options to really benefit from it.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    I found this tool VERY handy when tightening and removing the coax cable while camping:
    https://www.amazon.com/F-Connector-Installation-Removal-Tool/dp/B000G7ZGNI/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=coaxial+cable+tightening+tool&qid=1668076546&sprefix=coaxial+cable+tigh,aps,175&sr=8-10
    Hade two onboard at all times.  It really is a must-have.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    OinfrontOinfront Member Posts: 37
    @manyman297 I have the we boost connect RV 65. The current Destination RV 65 replaced it. I actually got it used. Brand new was $650 and I was able to get it for $100! In near brand new condition. The pole was the only thing that showed any type of wear. 

Im kind of an installation nerd and want to have things like the weboost out of sight working in the background. I even hard wired a small switch in the cubby next to the bed to turn it on and off. I figured the bed would be the first and last place we would be to use it. My amplifier is under the closet where the water pump is and then I have the inside antenna underneath the shelf by the tv, barely visible and furthest from the external pole antenna that is on the front tongue. Everything held together with command strips inside so no drilling was needed. 

I does work. I go to Brevard NC for mountain bikes trips many times a year at Davidson River Campground in Pisgah Forest (highly recommend) we get 1 bar if any and very bad service. With the weboost on we get 3 bars sometimes more and are able to send emails and things like that. Not enough for zoom calls though. Its does tend to fade in and out at times but we also have prepaid plans through ATT so Im not sure if we get knocked down for higher priority payers. We have even been able to stream movies in the evening sometimes. So long story short it def works. Id look used though to really save some money. I think there are people out there that expected to get results that just aren't realistic and then end up selling their unit. I believe that the pole and directional unit would out perform the omni directional, but I have not used those.

Hope that helps

2019 T@B 400
    2014 VW Touareg TDI 
  • Options
    @Tabaz Thanks! I agree those cables are def a pain to screw in and out
    2019 T@B 400
    2014 VW Touareg TDI 
  • Options
    tinknockertinknocker Member Posts: 22
    Installed WeBoost Drive X in tab 400. Fabricated a rear pole mount attached to the rear stabilizer support bolts. Pole is used for both cell boost and TV antenna. Installed new F cable connector in the nautilus panel for the booster cable. Amplifier is mounted in the cubby at the head of the bed. Installed power for booster from unused fuse holder in electric panel and installed 5 amp fuse. Cable to indoor antenna runs under cabinet/refrigerator, under bathroom, under bench seat and up to dinette table. Cable type F to type SMA adapters were purchased thru Amazon. I did add a magnetic pick up head to the pole and fabricated metal bases for the antennas for quick attachment. 
    Also added extra pole support by installing barrel nuts in the keder rail and fabbing metal clamp.
    OK, I didn't get a couple of pics turned.
  • Options
    @tinknocker Nice setup. I like the mounts you made. How does the omni directional antenna work for you? What are your results?
    2019 T@B 400
    2014 VW Touareg TDI 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,214
    @Oinfront
    Thanks for the install breakdown.

The move towards something like this was spurred by a desire to possibly do more remote working next season. I'd definitely look for used as well since the cost of these new is ridiculously expensive (and that's even counting me expensing it for my business).

We're in Utah where cell signals are typically good at developed campgrounds but you can even get stream-worthy signals at the Wedge Overlook (pretty popular BLM site) without a booster. Having this would probably guarantee a fast connection there.

@tinknocker
    Awesome install! That keder rail mount you fabbed is amazing. How has the omni-directional antenna worked for you? 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Oinfront - you'll be amazed how much easier this little device makes hooking up the cable - especially in the rain!  Best $12 I ever spent.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    tinknockertinknocker Member Posts: 22
    @manyman297
    The omni antenna will boost a 1 bar on my phone to 2 or 3 in most cases. I don't stream movies etc so don't if that's enough boost for it.
    Picture below is the parallel line development pattern for the keder rail pole clamp.