Options

DampRid during the summer, what do you do when going camping?

Thinking about buying some DampRid, probably the refillable containers, to put in our camper in the summer when we're not using it.  So having an idea how they work, this question is for the people who use these already...

What do you do with a container when you're heading out camping?  Take it into your house and leave it, keep it in the camper, treat it as a "full" container and throw it out, something else?

We're in Michigan, Detroit area, so humidity over the summer can be something of a roller coaster.  We don't have a MaxAir fan cover (but I'm seriously contemplating one,) so we probably shouldn't leave the roof vent cracked...
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Jay_and_Kat we understand about the humidity as we are in Wyandotte and we literally look across the river at Canada. Our t@b is in our backyard. We do not use damp rid or any other product like it. We did have a MaxAir cover installed over the Fantastic Fan. As the t@b is covered in the yard the Fan lid is open and both side windows are in the second latch position, still secure but allowing for ventilation. We've had our t@b for almost 7 years and have never had a mold, mildew or even a musty smell develop in the trailer. Ventilation and air movement (even tiny amounts caused by temperature changes) are the key to preventing any moisture build-up and/or mold issues.

Good luck and I hope you get satisfactory answers about the aforementioned products.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 223
    @dragonsdofly we wish we could put ours in our backyard (or our garage!) but it's in an outdoor lot.  We do have a cover, but we've not yet used it, so this summer I think it'll be coming out of the box.

Although, we do have, I think, enough trips scheduled for this summer that the camper won't spend a lot of time closed up, we'll be going to and from it in the lot to check on / prep for trips, then the trips, so might wait for the winter.

Hmm, I wonder if the stock fan cover could be cranked just slightly open enough to get some minimal air movement while still preventing rain / snow from coming in...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    @Jay_and_Kat you don't have to leave the fan cover cracked open. Instead, leave the 3 windows in the second locked position. That's where we have our windows set. The second locked position keeps the windows locked but open just enough for air movement, perhaps a sixteenth of an inch. It is imperceptible that the window is open, and we've been through multiple days of deluge and never had any water leakage because the window gaskets provide enough barrier to prevent water infiltration. At least that's the case with our 2017 model. And again, good luck with this.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    I installed a Sensorpush network gateway in my Tab 320S, and have a environmental sensors in the cabin + one in the fridge. I have it configured to fire off a push notification to my phone when relative humidity gets above 58%. When that happens, I hop in the trailer and run the Air8 AC in dehumidify mode for a bit. If I'm going to be out of town for an extended time, I just leave the Air8 on dehumidify mode while I'm gone. It only seems to kick on when the cabin becomes humid, so no worries about it running 24/7.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2023
    @Jay_and_Kat we live nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay where humidity is a constant. We use the generic version of Damp Rid from Dollar Store ($1.25 store now). It comes in a plastic container that we can just throw out and is fairly economical.
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun