Options

Sanitize 2018 TAB 400 with no Clorox in the Alde hot water system

Does anyone have a blow by blow step to sanitizing the 2018 TAB 400 and not letting the Clorox solution get into the Alde hot water system.? Is there a bypass for the hot water system  and just keep the Clorox solution in the Lines? 

I am new new to the 400 and learning.

Thanks all

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Several threads cover this in the forum. In fact there is a Travels with Delaney YouTube video on exactly this subject, and his rig was the 2018 400. He explains the bypass process.

https://youtu.be/nCO8JBgeBfQ

Welcome to the forum!

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    JetmanJetman Member Posts: 45
    Yes I listened to this, but did not mention Ny pass valve for Alse
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    My mistake as I was thinking about the video using antifreeze. 

I do not bypass the Alde hot water when sanitizing the lines. I am not aware of bleach causing problems with the hot water system at the recommended concentration. There are some  germs that can end up in hot water tank that would be killed by the bleach solution.

• Options
    Thanks for your input, because the video suggested that you let the solution sit for 6 to 12 hours was what bothered me with the Clorox solution.How long do you leave the solution in your 400.

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    Be aware that chlorine causes pitting corrosion in stainless steel, so you want to avoid putting Clorox in the stainless steel Alde hot water tank.  That's the main reason the bypass valve is installed.  The tank drains completely with the yellow flapper valve open, so I am not concerned with bacteria growing in the tank.  I've survived bypassing the tank with Clorox for many years.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Thanks, that was my concern in leaving it in tank for that long a period. I always drain the boiler after every use, so will leave the bypass up for both the antifreeze and bleach. 

Even at such a low concentration don’t want to take a chance.
  • Options
    Based upon the advice of @Horigan I will likely avoid bleach in he hot water tank in the future. 

It is interesting that these most basic of questions are not covered in the Alde manual: Not supposed to ingest or cook with the hot water? What would be the problem with that?

DOMESTIC HOT WATER
    The Alde Compact 3020 heating system can supply domestic hot water using either LP Gas or electricity.
    Please see the control panel instructions for details.
    NOTICE
    Always flush the hot water boiler before using for the
    first time or if it has not been used for a long period.
    NOTICE
    Hot water from the boiler is not intended as drinking
    water or for preparing food.

To make hot water with the heating system:
    1. Make sure that the RV’s water tank is filled up with clean, uncontaminated water or connected to a main water
    supply.
    2. Fill the hot water tank in the heating system with clean, fresh water. If the heating system is used for the first time
    or if the heating system has not been used for some time, flush it out with water by opening any hot water tap in
    the RV and allowing approximately 3 gallons (12 liters) to run through the tap.
    3. Close all taps and start the heating system using the control panel.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,685
    @Jetman The bleach solution should be very, very weak. Mr Delaney added 1/2 cup of bleach to a full tank of water, which I think is about 19 gallons in the 400.  In my 320, I use about a 1/4 of a cup.  That diluted solution should be fine for the 6-12 hours that is stated in the video. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @qhumberd - I think the recommendation to avoid drinking from the hot water tank is because the Alde does not get hot enough to kill all bacteria.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio