Options

New to the Nu

BonnieBelleUBonnieBelleU Member Posts: 4
Greetings. I'm new to camping nu. I recently purchased a 2017 T@B 320Q. I haven't been out with her yet; need to have a hitch put on my vehicle. I'm looking forward to getting out. Does anyone have any advice for setting up? Is a visor for the camper a good investment?

Comments

• Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 263
    @BonnieBelleU
    Welcome!  This is a great group with a lot of friendly, helpful people.  Advice for setting up good take quite a while...depending upon your experience with campers, towing, etc.  I would search this forum for a checklist...I know there are many out there.  In the meantime, here are a few things come to mind to check prior to each departure:
    • Be sure that your tires are in good condition and inflated properly.
    • Pay close attention to the wheel bearings - Try to determine when the bearings were serviced last.  I make a habit of checking the hubs for excessive heat every time I stop.
    • Make sure your hitch ball is in good condition and securely tightened.
    • Check the your safety chains and brake cable are in good condition and properly connected.
    • Make sure your propane valve is closed.
    • Check the inside of the camper.  If anything is not secured....it will fly around the cabin!
    • Check that the step is raised, all doors and windows, locked, and the vent cover is secured.
    As far as the visor goes...I've been considering one.  We have an old $100 canopy that we've use on every trip.  I like the fact tha I can move it around.  I think the visor would be helpful, especially in a warm climate.  

Good luck!
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 263
    Did a quick search for 'checklist' and found this thread.  It looks like there is a good checklist and other links.  

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10585/simple-check-list-for-leaving-on-a-trip#latest
  • Options
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited June 2023
    Greetings. I'm new to camping nu. I recently purchased a 2017 T@B 320Q. I haven't been out with her yet; need to have a hitch put on my vehicle. I'm looking forward to getting out. Does anyone have any advice for setting up? Is a visor for the camper a good investment?
    I would hold off on buying a lot of potentially expensive accessories until you've used the camper a few times and have a better feel for what would work for you. Rallies are a great way to see what other people are using, otherwise keep an eye on this forum to see what pops up. This thread is a fun way to see how people are setting up their campsites.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I agree, get some time out there with your NuCamp before buying anything extra.  Some use a visor, some use other setups.  Right now don't use either.  Keep it simple and keep the weight down.  Being you are installing a hitch on the tow vehicle, I assume it's not a truck or larger SUV.  Anything you load in the tow vehicle behind its rear axle can be considered the same as hitch weight as far as the tow vehicle rear axle is concerned.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 269
    My two cents: forget the visor. Save weight and trouble - use the trailer and trees for shade.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Da_BirdsDa_Birds Member Posts: 126
    I'll add practice! Spend as much as much time as you can in it at home "mock camping" and getting to know how all of the systems work. Hitch it up and take it for some rides around town and then unhitch and set up at home until it becomes almost routine. Customize a checklist as you get your routine down. Keep your first trip(s) local until you feel comfortable venturing out further.
    Everyone has their own way of doing things and needs. What may be a necessity for you may not be someone else. Learn what your needs are before investing too much money or time in things you may or may not need. Don't rush anything. That's how most mistakes are made.
    2021 T@B 320CSS Boondock - "Chirping Bird"
    2018 Chevy Colorado - "Dad's Truck"
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 354
    Figure out how everything works while at home. It will take a few trips to figure out where all your stuff belongs. Then you will have a good idea what you need.

We have a 13x13 canopy rather than the visor. We can move it to where we need. We know people that love their visor. Wait until you know what you actually need.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"
  • Options
    Thank you all for your wisdom. I will take my time getting to know her.
  • Options
    19631221963122 Member Posts: 44
    Just got back from a 42 day trip across the USA. Good checklist. Just an addition. Before you pull away from your campsite do a quick walk around. Our routine was that after everything was secure we would check the lights and then each of us would do a walk around, Pay special attention to check the hitch, chains and vehicle plus.

We like the visor. I cooked a few meals on our 1 burner stove during some rain. Worked out great