Options

Front wheel replacement

DMatternDMattern Member Posts: 22
edited September 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades

I’ve modified the standard front wheel on our 2022 TAB 400 Boondock with two larger wheels that will roll more easily. I looked at the Croft replacement that’s mentioned in several posts, but the two 10 inch wheels would take up a lot of room in the front bin (or elsewhere) so I decided to try a smaller solution and see if it would meet my needs. 

I replaced the single 6 inch wheel inside the flanges with two 8 inch wheels on the outside of the flanges. I got a longer bolt for the axel (8 inch) used a plumbing connector for a spacer between the flanges, and washers to adjust spacing. Pretty simple! All told this came to about $50. 

Here's the existing swivel and flanges with the new parts, less the wheels:

Here’s the finished wheel (note that I found the wheels don't need washers on each side):

So far it seems roll well enough. 

Here’s a link to the 8 inch wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFJ2SX2M?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Bubbles - 2022 T@B 400 Boondock
Tug - 2021 F-150 4x4 Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    Maxcamp8Maxcamp8 Member Posts: 213
    Very creative.  Nice job.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,292
    edited September 2023
    Nice job on the 747 mod! For anyone considering a larger jockey wheel and who's willing and able to put more work into it, here's a thought. If the factory wheel yoke is shortened it compensates for the bigger wheel diameter making it possible to drop the tongue jack lower when leveling. This won't make a difference for the majority of camping situations, so might not be worth it for most owners. Also, it may not be necessary for all tongue jacks, but it worked for ours.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    Here's my solution. I left the original wheel in place and added the other two for support. Works well in sandy soil and gravel.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.