Options

2024 Tab 400 Q- inverter and access to under mattress

Recently we bought the 2024 Tab 400 Black Can w the 4 Lithium and extra solar. We had a Tab 320. Pretty excited about having tons of battery charge, we primarily boondock. Question is, we never really used the Victron for the 320, always used our Voltmeter. There are no ports for boondocking phone charging in the back by the bed except the outlets which need 30 amp power or the inverter in the 'on' position?..or do we have to use Victron to turn on the inverter for those outlets and ports at bed cubby and under tv?
Also, we are going to put some type of hinge with a stick on the covers of the battery and Alde heat system, in order to access these under bed storage areas. 
Has anyone done this already, and can share pic?
2024 Tab 400 Boondock, Oregon

Comments

• Options
    Busted_11BBusted_11B Member Posts: 7
    I ordered the same one, Black Canyon with extra solar and 4 batts. Should get it this month. I am interested in following your question.

• Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 113
    Bailey said:
    There are no ports for boondocking phone charging in the back by the bed except the outlets which need 30 amp power or the inverter in the 'on' position?..or do we have to use Victron to turn on the inverter for those outlets and ports at bed cubby and under tv?
    Firstly, congrats on the new 400! Assuming it is similar to our 2023, you are correct. In the stock layout you'd need to turn on the inverter to use the plugs in the cubby and at the foot of the bed. There are USB and 12V outlets below the driver's side bench up front. We've been using them to charge stuff while boondocking.

Bailey said:
    Also, we are going to put some type of hinge with a stick on the covers of the battery and Alde heat system, in order to access these under bed storage areas. 
    Our experience has been that there isn't really much need to get in the battery compartment on a regular basis and leave the panel attached. The panel over the Alde area we leave unscrewed to access the drains, lifting it with panel resting on the wall side ledge. I drilled a finger hole near the edge of the panel, where it mates to the center panel, to make pulling it up easier.
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 300
    I added 2 dual quick-charging USB-C ports along with a 12v outlet with dual USB-A ports.

BaileyBailey Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the pics of the installed charger ports, and it looks like there is room in that bed cubby. We were charging our phones in the outlet near dining room, but I want to add one to the bed cubby.
    Also, RTWCTS, those two panels of wood covering the batteries and the Alde heater come with all corners screwed down, you just leave them with no screws, did you put in some type of hinge? I was looking at screwing in a small nylon loop on the underside of panel, forming a sort-of dog leash loop. I'd be able to loop it in an open position for Alde access, what do you think? 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Thanks for the pics of the installed charger ports, and it looks like there is room in that bed cubby. We were charging our phones in the outlet near dining room, but I want to add one to the bed cubby.
    Also, RTWCTS, those two panels of wood covering the batteries and the Alde heater come with all corners screwed down, you just leave them with no screws, did you put in some type of hinge? I was looking at screwing in a small nylon loop on the underside of panel, forming a sort-of dog leash loop. I'd be able to loop it in an open position for Alde access, what do you think? 
    I removed all the screws from those panels and have left them out. Don't see any need for them.

New question per this inverter/4 lith batteries in the 400.  Question:  if plugged into a CG 30 Amp, does that inverter continue to  charge those 4 lithium batteries, if needed? This is how I handled my Tab 320 on the occasions where we had shore power. The walk through didn't go into details.
  • Options
    edited March 2
    Bailey said:
    Yes, we just leave the screws out. No hinge. We lift the panel and use the ledge on the wall side as a lever point when flipping the drain valves. I just drilled a hole about 1" in diameter to act as a finger hole. I couldn't figure out how to keep any kind of loop or handle from impacting the Froli system. Here is a pic of our solution...

I'd be concerned about a hinged panel falling on my head if I was working in there ( I'm already a CTE candidate :| ), so wanted to be able to remove the panel.
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    Ah, I see what you mean, got it. Thanks!

• Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    I would not remove the screws on the plywood panels underneath the bed mattress without securing the panels to the frame with a set of hinges. In the event of a severe impact on the road, you could end up with the panels flying around in your trailer.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    I keep the panel over the batteries screwed down as the panel can move a little and the drawer latch below the bed is finicky on mine (already had to add shims to a slider and latch) to keep drawer closed during travel.

For the panel over the Alde, I added a "D ring" near where RTWCTS drilled a hole.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    edited March 4
    I'd like to emphasize that in my first response to @Bailey I did say that we keep the battery hatch screwed down. My mind glossed over @Bailey writing about "panels" in my later response.
    RTWCTS said:
    Our experience has been that there isn't really much need to get in the battery compartment on a regular basis and leave the panel attached. The panel over the Alde area we leave unscrewed to access the drains, lifting it with panel resting on the wall side ledge. I drilled a finger hole near the edge of the panel, where it mates to the center panel, to make pulling it up easier.
    Also, the inspiration for the finger hole to lift the panel over the Alde came from a comment @dsfdogs made in a different discussion. 
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    Appreciate your comments and pics!
  • Options
    HammickHammick Member Posts: 70
    Bailey said:
    Recently we bought the 2024 Tab 400 Black Can w the 4 Lithium and extra solar. We had a Tab 320. Pretty excited about having tons of battery charge, we primarily boondock. Question is, we never really used the Victron for the 320, always used our Voltmeter. There are no ports for boondocking phone charging in the back by the bed except the outlets which need 30 amp power or the inverter in the 'on' position?..or do we have to use Victron to turn on the inverter for those outlets and ports at bed cubby and under tv?
    Our '23 400 has the Lithium upgrade.  I'm not sure I understand your question about the USB ports.  The whole point of the Lithium upgrade is to have the entire camper powered the entire time.  If you turn the inverter off the USB ports won't be hot.

There is no under bed storage when you have the Lithium upgrade other than the pull out drawer.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Your lithium is in a drawer? Mine are under the mattress, 4 of them (2024 package). And yes, once my inverter is on, it provides power to the ports by the bed and under TV.  I read somewhere that I should not leave my inverter on for long due to battery drain while boon docking. I am not sure where I read, and decided to reach out to Battleborn.
  • Options
    HammickHammick Member Posts: 70
    Bailey said:
    Your lithium is in a drawer? Mine are under the mattress, 4 of them (2024 package). And yes, once my inverter is on, it provides power to the ports by the bed and under TV.  I read somewhere that I should not leave my inverter on for long due to battery drain while boon docking. I am not sure where I read, and decided to reach out to Battleborn.
    No.  My Lithium upgrade is identical to the 2024 model.  4 Battleborns, Multiplus 3k, Smart Shunt and BT adapter under the removable bed panel.  I was trying to point out that there is no under bed storage with the Lithium Upgrade.  That batteries take up all the space.  The drawer at the base of the bed is still there even with the Lithium upgrade.
  • Options
    said:
    Bailey said:
    No.  My Lithium upgrade is identical to the 2024 model.  4 Battleborns, Multiplus 3k, Smart Shunt and BT adapter under the removable bed panel.  I was trying to point out that there is no under bed storage with the Lithium Upgrade.  That batteries take up all the space.  The drawer at the base of the bed is still there even with the Lithium upgrade.
    Actually, the point of the lithium setups is not running the inverter continuously. Unless you have an abundance of sunshine your won’t last very long. The USB ports on the 110 outlets won’t charge while on battery, however there is a single USB outlet in the dinette area that can be used without running the inverter. I think it was a mistake by NuCamp to. It provide more 12v outlets for charging devices. 
    I emailed nucamp, recommended more outlets for for phone/ipad charging while out boondocking. an might be out there next summer, so looking at having them install.