Options

Storage

clkellerclkeller Member Posts: 46
edited July 2014 in Tips & Tricks
With only a limited space to store your stuff in your t@b, and only 350 pounds cargo weight any suggestions on how to pack these tiny trailers

Comments

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    Light. *rimshot* ;)
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2014
    It's like anything else, you pack the necessities you need, take a few shake-down trips and re-evaluate your gear when you return home.   It's better to pack something "you think you'll need" as opposed to being away from home and having to restock something you should have taken along on the trip.  I am constantly re-evaluating my needs and necessities out on my trips as I try not to merely "take gear out for a ride" and return home without having used things.  I pack for the weather conditions and have honed my cooking gear and site necessities down to what I feel will make it through a week or two on the road and things that will become a permanent part of my traler and be ready for the next trip out.  

Here is a rather large list of gear/food/cooking items, etc.for various tasks that might help and that you can always tailor to your own specific needs:  Camping Checklist
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Hi, Clkeller -- I utilize packing cubes for my clothes, carefully planning out what I need (after checking the weather forecast).  I bought 3 packing cubes (Eagle Creek), medium size, one for each back cabinet of my T@B S.  I also utilize an over-the-shower door storage caddy I got at IKEA.  It has lots of pockets for dry food storage (or whatever).  I love the 3M Command hooks -- I think I put up about 10 of them -- and keep my jacket, a hat, keys, TEK towel, toilet paper, you name it -- hung up on the hooks so it's out of my "living" space. ALL of my cookware, GSI dishes, coffee pot, and dishwashing items are under the sink in the storage cabinet.  I put my shower shoes and my knee pad along the slim inside space by the fresh water tank. Under the rear seat, I keep two plastic TV trays, my lightweight camp chair, my leveling blocks, my spare plug-in heater, and my Coleman battery camp light.

These campers can really hold a lot of stuff. I bought one of those compartment carry-alls from Camping World for other food things, like a jar of peanut butter, etc., to transport stuff to/fro my condo to my T@B which is kept at a storage facility.  That rides in the center of T@B with my Cuisinart grill, and my caddy for wheel chocks.  My bedding stays in the T@B.  It's fairly lightweight -- a down sleeping bag, a furry blanket, and a 1-1/2" foam pad is all I need (plus 2 pillows).

I find that advance planning for food/meal preparation is key for me. I plan out each meal and apportion condiments, etc., into little plastic containers that don't weigh very much.  In addition, I only travel with 1 gallon of water to minimize the weight. My fresh water hose, water filter, etc. is stowed in a collapsible container in the shower pan, along with my toiletries caddy. I'm sure there's a few other things, but that's the main stuff.  I am a former backpacker, and I equate my own "back" to the axle of the T@B.  I know how every added ounce feels!!! 

You will get creative when you start looking around and thinking of how to utilize space.  Velcro is great, too.  My Velcro paper towel holder is still in place.  Have fun finding new places to "hide" things.  It can be done! 

[-O<
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If you are looking to save some space, here is a handy item that I just picked up and that arrived yesterday.   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    sekissekis Member Posts: 1
    First trip this summer, just overnight, in my silver/red trim 2012 T@B U-shape. Always tweeking storage. Plastic 3-drawer (file size on bottom and two shallower above) rolling cart minus wheels just fits inside the closet next to the sink. It eliminated two stacked file size cardboard boxes which were primitive and awkward to use. Now kitchen utensils and dishes are just a pull-out away. Shelves over the sink/stove area were also freed for linens and other small items by those drawers. T-shirts, shorts, sox, and undies tuck into shelves over windows. Over-cabinet-doors hooks and hangers hold paper towels, hanging clothes, and hats both on the doors and on the shelves over the windows (with a little foam padding or careful squishing-to-fit, as Mike suggested). Also an adjustable shower rail that spans the distance between windows works for hanging damp things.

I really appreciate knowing how and where other T@B owners store things. There is lots of storage potential that invites creativity!
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    There was a photo album on the T@B Facebook page showing how owners utilized their cabinets.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Beth/Wanderoo - Tell me about your velcro paper towel holder, please!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Oh, you bet, and it's really easy.  I bought a clear plastic paper towel holder and some industrial strength Velcro.  (It is mounted above my sink.)  Cut a strip of Velcro to fit the paper towel holder.  I installed one side of the Velcro on the ceiling of the T@B above the sink, and the opposite side of the Velcro on the paper towel holder.  Voila!  It just sticks on and is still holding up great. 

B-)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Awesome - thank you!

Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual