Options

A new design to make the bed easier to set up?

Ok ex-engineers and tinkerers - here's a challenge. We have a 2013 T@B and setting up the bed at night is always a bit of a tussle.  Our table is the "swing down" type (no pedestal).  How could LG make a table that would easily convert to a bed or vice versa? Right now, our table swings into the lowered position and then we have two heavy boards to put into place.  As we both approach our 70's, this gets more and more difficult to crawl around like that.  I know some will say to leave it as the bed and eat outside which is an option.  But I can't help but think there must be folks out there that think there must be a better way.  Anyone want to brainstorm on this?  No idea too outlandish!  No evaluating the ideas, please.  Just slap them down on this discussion.  (btw, we have the L floor plan).  I'll start with the first idea.  Some kind of a spring loaded Murphy bed?  Any other ideas?  Would love to sit and brainstorm with folks at Tearstock on this idea..

Thanks
Y2K

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    We can brainstorm at Tearstock. We'll figure out something.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I'm perplexed as to using two heavy boards.  The Dutchmen T@Bs use only the table to make the queen bed.  Most of us leave the table home, however, and use bed slats instead.  Another option is what I call "twin bed" mode.  When one of my adult kids is along, we take the backrest cushions off, laying our feet on the side dinette cushions, heads under the cabinets.  The bulk of our body is on the back couch area where we have a memory foam twin mattress.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169

We have the CS and it came with two filler boards of the same construction as the table top.  The fillers fit on the rails like the table top to complete filling the area between the seats.  I leave the table and fillers in while traveling to prevent the table top from sliding on the rails.  We do leave the bed made unless we find a reason we need the table (hasn’t happened yet in over 30 camping nights). 

The fit of the table top in the rails is quite secure and I’m very comfortable using it without reservations. 

Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    y2kdaddioy2kdaddio Member Posts: 20
    A bit of clarification at least for us.  The L floorplan has the three "high cabinets" in the rear of the trailer with storage underneath them.  We don't seem to be able to travel without using that storage area.  My murphy bed idea was to put some kind of "fold out" spring loaded  bed from the center two sections that would lay on the rails, similar to a fold out sofa bed.  Of course, that adds extra weight.  I assume from TABakers post the Dutchman and LG models are somewhat different as to how the bed is made up.  As gilbutler says, the filler boards are the same material as the tabletop and are decently heavy to lift outof the storage area.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    We have a 2015-L, we leave the bed made up all the time. I removed the lift mech. and use the space under the table for the spare tire and other storage. We cut off the seat back cushions and purchased some high density foam for in the middle where the table is. It works very well, and we eat outside in our add-a-room.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    y2kdaddio said:
    A bit of clarification at least for us.  The L floorplan has the three "high cabinets" in the rear of the trailer with storage underneath them.  We don't seem to be able to travel without using that storage area.  My murphy bed idea was to put some kind of "fold out" spring loaded  bed from the center two sections that would lay on the rails, similar to a fold out sofa bed.  Of course, that adds extra weight.  I assume from TABakers post the Dutchman and LG models are somewhat different as to how the bed is made up.  As gilbutler says, the filler boards are the same material as the tabletop and are decently heavy to lift outof the storage area.
    I think the difference between the beds is the U shape dinette in Q,U, and S models vs the smaller dinette in the CS, CS-S, and L models.  Only the smaller dinette has the bed rails built in and uses slats to make the bed.  Since there are no bed slats for the U shape dinette models, they have to use the table to make the bed unless they are handy and have built their own rails and bed slats.

Having to make/unmake the bed is something my husband and I were also wondering if we would get tired of doing.  If you make a modification, please post pictures.
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    FYI Using one of those suction cup handles makes raising and lowering the table a non issue.
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Y2Kdaddio, I missed in your message that you have the "L".  Maybe ditch the table and have someone make bed slats instead.  The table is heavy and cumbersome, and if I bring mine along I use it outside.  Bed slats are easy and lightweight.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We have a Clam, and the table and "extra boards" never really fit that well. We ended up getting rid of all of them and cutting two solid pieces of 3/4" MDF that fit on the rails very well. We leave the bed made up all the time and eat outside. (or eat out!!)

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Ed & LizaEd & Liza Member Posts: 5

We removed the folding mechanism from our table and keep the bed made all the time also.

Use the space beneath for storage of items we use outside while traveling and its the pooches cave at night.

C/S got it new in 2013 7k miles over 5 weeks give or take
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2015
    @R&DAndrews, we have 2014 S model with U shaped dinette AND with the bed rails already built in - but we asked for a poll table, it may be that bed rails are included by design with a poll table unlike the other type table in U-shaped dinette. It was therefore easy for us to just ditch the table (it stays at home, permanently), and replace it with 8 cut-to-size 1"x4" cedar slats. The slats are very light, easy to store in an underseat compartment when not in use, and have served us very reliably (>40 nights spent in t@b since we got it last spring). We removed the table base plate too, to have a fully even floor surface (easier for sliding stuff under the bed for temporary storage). We also have a small wooden TV traytable onboard (stays at the bottom of rear left underseat compartment), which we have used as our dining table indoors in several episodes of bad weather - else we eat and hang out outside. 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Ed & Liza said:

We removed the folding mechanism from our table and keep the bed made all the time also.

Use the space beneath for storage of items we use outside while traveling and its the pooches cave at night.

So, I think I understand that you removed the "legs" from the table and use the table top still as the platform for the bed cushions.  No rails or slats needed.  I like it!  Using it this way, you get the bonus of under-bed storage (plus dog cave...must be smallish dogs I am guessing?) in that square, but can remove the table top and maybe place it in the TV if one wants to sit with others around a smaller table on the cushion benches.  I like this mod a lot!  Thanks for chiming in.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    All great ideas.  I took the table out and put it in the basement.  We attached two rails to each side of the bench seats and cut 1X4's pine (light weight) into 4 slats to go across the opening.  We purchased a lightweight round plastic folding table and 2 chairs from Amazon and set this up as our dinning area just outside the T@B under our canopy using the inside as a "living room".  The 4 slats store under the bench seat on the door side perfectly.  We take these out and place slats on the rails and put down cushions.  Back behind the rear seat we remove the rolled-up 2" queen memory foam topper and roll out over the lowered seat back and cushions.  Throw down sheets and now a comfy bed for the night. 
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    I have a CS-S Max and after a lot of thought, I removed the "legs," and the table top makes a fine twin bed.  If my girlfriend comes to Glamp, I add the two smaller slats (which I keep under the bench cushions- too much kerfuffle to get them out of the storage space under the bench without taking the bed all apart).  We got the tent, which my hubs says is his sleeping area.  I like the added space under the bed which fits a plastic laundry basket nicely for clothes and such.  In addition, if I am "socializing", I can remove the table top and insert one of the smaller slats as a "side table".  Eventually I'll get the cushions cut down and recovered, so when the twin bed is made, there will still be cushions that can be sat on.  
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    Tweedrvr - Could you post a couple of photos of that setup?  I'd like to give it a try.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Y2Kdaddio, we also have a 2012 L and made some changes you might want to consider. We too found it difficult to access the storage area under the boards at the back cabinet floor so we made an access panel between the benches with a piano hinge at the bottom.  We can now easily sit on the bench, open the door and retrieve our slats and bedding. Next we took the heavy table top off and replaced the top with a birch plywood top that we finished and edged with birch laminate tape.  We made it a perfect 29.5" square .  It is much lighter than the original and 4" shorter from front to back which gives a surprising amount of extra space to allow us to stand.  We also replaced the heavy slats from the factory with the lighter birch plywood finished in the same manner as the table.  We really love to eat breakfast inside and this has made it much easier to work around and lighter to maneuver. We still have to make the bed every day but we have it down to about 3 min.  Not too bad but we still have to crawl.  We figure it keeps us limber and is much easier than when we had to change our clothes in the Silver Shadow
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Twocutes, sorry for not posting this sooner. This is my "end table" set up. 
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Tweedrvr- How do you use your Roku?
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Lark, how about starting s new discussion about the Roku to make it easier to find later? I'm interested in this topic, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Or maybe make about streaming/TV devices in general.
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Px- Great idea. Here goes!
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC