Options

jockey wheels on the AL-KO frames

MilesCampMilesCamp Member Posts: 14
Can't find my particular problem with the Jockey Wheel.  Mine will only go about 6", not all the way up or down.  It seems to be stuck in the middle. Does anyone have an idea of how I might unstick the wheel?  I've also read on the forum that the wheel unit can be removed on some T@Bs but perhaps not on my 2008 T@B with the AL-KO frame.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Miles
2008 T@B Solar & Tent
2001 Dodge RAM 3500 Diesel
128 cf of storage
Washington State Apr-Oct
Oklahoma Oct-Apr

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 935
    The red handle on the side loosens the entire shaft assembly.  The crank on the top provides about 8 inches of adjustment.  When using, you lower ther entire assembly to a couple inches above the ground, tighten the side clamp, then crank the wheel lower as needed to lift the trailer tongue.  When done, retract the wheel until the fork blades engage in the slots on the shaft tube.  Then raise the entire assembly as high as possible for ground clearance while traveling.

• Options
    Thanks for the reply Bob.  We just bought this T@B and haven't made our first trip yet, still learning.  I'm back in Washington and my wife is still in Oklahoma with my daughter trying to get this trailer ready.  I hope it's this simple.
    2008 T@B Solar & Tent
    128 cf of storage
    Washington State Apr-Oct
    Oklahoma Oct-Apr
  • Options
    Daughter here: I am unable to lower the shaft after releasing the quick release knob.  I've tried multiple times of redoing the process and it seems like the shaft is not able to slide down at all, it does spin around, but won't do anything else. I know I'm missing something here, but it feels like it's not seated at all. The pic shows as low as I am able to get it.
    2008 T@B Solar & Tent
    128 cf of storage
    Washington State Apr-Oct
    Oklahoma Oct-Apr
  • Options
    edited April 22
    Hi,
    You need to support the tongue (it looks like it is on a jack stand) so no weight is on the jockey wheel,  Then, loosen the side clamp so the entire assembly is loose.
    Now you should be able to crank the lower inner shaft up into the outer tube.  Continue to crank them all the way together until the wheel fork hits the outer tube.  At this point you can place the jockey wheel on the ground, tighten the side clamp and crank the wheel down lifting the trailer or retract the entire assembly for travel.  Make sure the wheel fork engages in the slots in the outer tube before retracting to assure it does not unscrew while traveling.(a common accident).
    Hope this helps...
    Bob

Be sure to release the brake before towing !!!  The long lever with red handle at 45 degrees in the photo needs to be pushed down,

The handle on the hitch has to be lifted a couple inches while engaging and disengaging the 2 inch ball.

• Options
    Thank you Bob you were spot on but apparently I was asking the wrong question.  The actual problem is:
      The Outer tube on the Jockey Wheel appears not to be connected to anything and does not move up or down with the inner shaft.
      The wheel and shaft moves up and down but the outer tube remains up as in the picture. How do we correct this?
      I hope I made sense this time.
    Miles

2008 T@B Solar & Tent
    128 cf of storage
    Washington State Apr-Oct
    Oklahoma Oct-Apr
  • Options
    If you loosen the red clamp lever several turns the entire assembly should be loose.  The crank with the outer tube should lift out the top or push out the bottom as you crank the wheel tube up inside.
    There is a metal piece that protects the tube from being damaged by the clamp screw that possibly has been pushed in too far and is blocking the outer tube from passing through.  You should be able to pull the top half out and look in the hole.  It's a pretty simple assembly...

• Options

Bob, sorry for taking so long getting back to you with the latest development on the “Jocky Wheel”.  Miridith followed your last instructions to no avail. The tube and the wheel shaft ended up freezing in the extended position. She's sure you are right, there must be a pin, screw or something in there that's jamming it. Yesterday they planned to test tow it to make sure nothing else would prevent a safe trip and she would cut the shaft if she had to. Fortunately she didn't have to as the wheel just fell off while lifting it to hitch to the truck.  She told me the wheel is in the back of the truck, she's done with “Jockey Wheels”, it's my problem now. :)  If all else fails I can buy an electric jack for less than I expected.  When they get up here I'll let you know how the story ends.

I notice on your map that you haven't been to the Great Northwest, or the whole West Coast for that matter.  We live just south of Shelton, Washington on Fawn Lake.  If you and Rosalie ever do get out this way please stop by for coffee and a couple of nights.

Cheers, Miles
    P.S.  I just tried to send you a 34 second video Miridith sent me.  Guess videos don't work here.

2008 T@B Solar & Tent
    128 cf of storage
    Washington State Apr-Oct
    Oklahoma Oct-Apr