Options

2022 400 AC External vent questions

subkronsubkron Member Posts: 151
We have been getting stink bugs in the T@B and I have noticed a couple on the outside AC vent when I remove the snap-on cover.  I could remove the vent cover and place a mesh behind it, but tbh the cover is nicely factory sealed/caulked around the periphery and I really don't want to disturb it.

Can the inside surface of the external vent be accessed if I remove the driver's side dinette plywood since the AC unit is under there? If so, I'd rather add the mesh from the inside to maintain the factory caulking.  Any pics of what it looks like if I do remove the plywood base for the seat?

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,067
    Unfortunately it can not be accessed from inside.  You would have to pull the AC out to do that.  I would try to come up with some type of screen that you can fasten over the exterior of the vent so you can remove it when you run the AC so as to not restrict the airflow.  Check out Sea Biscuit Metal Designs.  They just came out with a metal cover for the vent that attaches and the vinyl cover then goes over it.  It is meant to restrict water intrusion when towing the trailer but can be left on during storage and during use.  Though it may restrict airflow a bit.  Maybe you could attach some screening on the backside of it to keep the bugs out?  It fastens on and is supposed to be very easy to remove if.  I'm considering getting one. 

https://seabiscuitmetaldesigns.com/product/tab-400-a-c-vent-cover/ 

And here are some pics of the backside of the AC.   I removed ours this spring to just have a looksee at the Alde convectors and to see what was back there.  As you can see the back of the exterior vent is not accessible.  The last photo is the Alde Glycol loop behind the White panel you see in the first photo.  

2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    subkronsubkron Member Posts: 151
    @bergger
    Thanks for that! I will probably fabricate a removable mesh to attach over the existing vent. I did see the Sea Biscuit solution but TBH the design and look is not for me.  Also seems like a lot of restriction for the flow, I would think efficiency of the AC is hampered.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey