Second Propane cylinder

BillCBBillCB Member Posts: 23
We're about to take delivery of 2024 TAB 400. It is "piped" for a single cylinder. We come from a camper that had two cylinders, "piped" in such a way that when one emptied the other automatically switched in. Is such an arrangement possible the Tab?
Thanks,
Bill

Comments

• WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 205
    It could probably be done, but I think first you might see if you need a 2nd tank. We have a 2021 320S boondock, so a different trailer, but we go through very little propane. No forced air furnace, no oven, no 3-way fridge, so all we need propane for is the 2-burner Dometic cooktop and the Alde. The Alde is quite efficient. 

On our most recent trip of 5 days, 3 of them boondocking, we started w a full propane tank and currently have 88%, as per our Mopeka tank monitor. We had 3 nights in the upper 20s at night and we were running the Alde. We made 2 pots of coffee in the morning, cooked breakfast and some dinner - and still used only 12%. 

It depends on your camping style, like maybe extended boondocking, but perhaps a better investment would be a propane monitor like the Mopeka, so you can see where you’re at. We love ours. 

It’ll be interesting to see what 400 owners think. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 37
    I do a lot of long term remote camping in northern Canada, so I burn a fair amount of propane to keep my T@B 400 warm.  Changing the stock single regulator to a dual auto-switching regulator resulted in the end of my midnight tank switching errands.  Very pleased with the results.
  • BillCBBillCB Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the input! Although we live further south than you, Wayne (Tobermory Ontario, 45 degrees latitude), like swfitwave we do a lot of northern camping, particularly;arly in September and October. I'll look into Mopeka - I'm not acquainted with it.
    Bill
  • marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 143
    This is the Mopeka sensor I just installed on my tank.  The accompanying app allows you to monitor via bluetooth as well as set up alerts for low levels.

Mopeka Pro Check Sensor - Wireless Propane Tank Magnetic Sensor Level Indicator - Propane Gas Tank Pressure Gauge Electronic for BBQ Grill - Remote Ready Propane, Butane and Fuel Level Gauge with App https://a.co/d/dAVLWok
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 323
    swiftwave said:
    I do a lot of long term remote camping in northern Canada, so I burn a fair amount of propane to keep my T@B 400 warm.  Changing the stock single regulator to a dual auto-switching regulator resulted in the end of my midnight tank switching errands.  Very pleased with the results.
    What dual auto-switching regulator are you using? I have two 20 lb propane tanks (plus an 11 lb backup), but only the OEM single regulator. Would love to combine two tanks into one.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • swiftwaveswiftwave Member Posts: 37
    edited June 8
    I’m not at my trailer right now and I’ve forgotten the model of dual regulator I purchased.
    I went to a reputable, specialty propane appliance shop and selected their more expensive option, in hopes that there may be a valid reason for the price disparity.  Not my usual or preferred method of selecting components, but in this case I went with it.  So far, so good…
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 482
    Yes possible with valve change.  But why not just mount second tank in compartment?  The PO of my unit did just that.  You can even get the bracket from NuCamp parts website.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.