Options

Warning: Spare Tire Nut Size Different

DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
edited January 2017 in Tips & Tricks
When we bought our T@B last year we didn't get much help, including a lug wrench (much less a jack) to change the tires...no problem, as I carry a serious 3/4" deep well socket (that fits the alloy wheels) and wrench when we camp.  BUT...in all our camping, despite living in the mountains, I've never thought about taking the spare off for ground clearance until today, preparing for a trip this weekend.  WOW...was I surprised to learn that the spare, mounted on a steel rim, has 13/16" nuts holding it up.  Had we had a flat in the last year I would not have been able to change it.  I talked to Ed Kauffman; he said "that's what the tire company sent", which I don't buy...since the dealer usually mounts the spare, and someone had to know there was a difference.  It was also a huge learning how difficult it is to get the spare off (I'll skip the details of the gyrations to lower the tongue and raise the rear).  Once you loosen the two (13/16") nuts the tire, obeying the laws of gravity, falls...onto your arm.  And it's virtually impossible to get back up (I presume one wouldn't do that in a flat situation, i.e. put the allow rim flat in that spot...so you better have a plan for where to put a flat tire).  I ended up using a floor jack, some creative woodwork, to hoist it up so I could thread the nuts. BTW, Ed said they're changing the design to still mount the tire down there, but add a crank/wire/drop system (similar to pick-up trucks), presumably negating the nut size difference.  In the meantime, I'm going to check out the tongue mounted option...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    VagabondsVagabonds Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for posting this...now the question is when will the changes be put in place? Ours is on order.
    Pam (and the husband..+2 golden retrievers)--2016 T@b M@x CS-S Sofitel (towed by a 2015 Jeep WrglrUnlim Rubicon)
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Wal-Mart sells a wrench that has two double sided sockets, 11/16"-17mm & 3/4"-19mm in one socket and 13/16"-21mm & 7/8"-22mm in the other socket, and they do fit in the alloy wheels. The handle can be inserted into either end of each socket and the 1/2" drive is in the middle. Both sockets needed to change a flat.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Yep, the lugs come attached to the rim held together with a cable tie, so Ed was not lying to you. My dealer didn't mount. It was under seating when I took delivery. I removed the entire underside mount on my T@b for clearance sake. I keep my spare in the TV bed of truck. I use a power driver instead of a lug wrench.....lug wrenches take too much time and energy.
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Vagabonds said:
    Thanks for posting this...now the question is when will the changes be put in place? Ours is on order.
    It has been this way for a few years. This is nothing new. The lugs that the spare tire attaches to are a different size and thread than those found on your wheels. 

JandJ92010 said:
    Wal-Mart sells a wrench that has two double sided sockets, 11/16"-17mm & 3/4"-19mm in one socket and 13/16"-21mm & 7/8"-22mm in the other socket, and they do fit in the alloy wheels. The handle can be inserted into either end of each socket and the 1/2" drive is in the middle. Both sockets needed to change a flat.
    This is the same lug wrench I have and it works very well. The handle extends so it's like having an extendable breaker bar. And it stores in very little space. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Boo...what kind of scissor jack did you get?  I see a lot of cheapies out there.  And what kind of tongue mount?  In the meantime I may just put the spare on the roof racks of mytruck cap...

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    I had to cut a 4" x 13" piece of wood to "jack up" the spare back into place.  Note the clearance in the back...the tongue is almost all the way to the ground.  I'm not sure I like how rusted the two mounting bolts are; I'll need to clean/spray them for winterizing.  According to Ed, the bolt diameter is the same as the mounted wheels, 1/2", but the O/D of the lug nuts are different (spare= 13/16, wheels= 3/4).  Thanks to all for the comments and tips!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I also found out in a non-emergency situation that the nuts are not interchangeable and require different sockets.  Durango TaB was more successful than I was at re-mounting the spare.  After I wasted far too much time trying, I moved the spare to a tongue mount.  Nice pictures Durango. :-)
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I used my four way to get the tire off at home more then a year ago, it has not been back up there since :grin:.  Never really thought about the lugs being a different size, good information to know.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2015
    Mine never got mounted underneith - I could just visualize me laying on the pavement by the side of the road in the rain. First mod I did to my T@B was run to a marine dealer and get a tongue mount.
    I actually never even thought about ground clearance, just the hassle factor. Don't think I've ever had a flat in nice weather.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    How much does the spare tire and rim weigh? Wondering if we could lift it up to the Yakima rack on an Outback if necessary. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    38 lbs, give or take a bit.  That's the shipping weight of one with the white rim.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    FYI...response from LG (bless them for responding quickly!):

"I suppose we have been blessed that this has not been an issue for us.  That
    said, we realized for quite some time that it is one that needed addressed.
    While it didn't transpire as rapidly as we would have liked, we took steps
    to work on a joint redesign of the frame to accommodate such a solution.
    Because we had to change the design in order to fit on the system, I'm
    afraid it is not something that can be retro-fitted.  

Our best piece of advice if someone wishes to get away from the undermount,
    is to mount it on the tongue.  Obviously, you want to ensure the balance is
    not thrown off so it still tows smoothly.  We are aware that there are a
    number of people that prefer this solution to the current set up.

I'm sorry it isn't the answer you would prefer to have received, but I trust
    it helps to answer your question."

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Hi land92010 - would you please send the Walmart link or item name?  I have never changed a tire but at advise of dealer I bought a Sears Digital Torque wrench and sockets.  

Not sure whatelse I need to buy but like to learn from you experts.  TIA
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    Playc said:
    Hi land92010 - would you please send the Walmart link or item name?  I have never changed a tire but at advise of dealer I bought a Sears Digital Torque wrench and sockets.  

Not sure whatelse I need to buy but like to learn from you experts.  TIA

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-711-900-AutoGrade-Lug-Wrench/dp/B004SEXO3E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1440160175&sr=8-4&keywords=lug+wrench

Amazon has 3 or four different ones.  Make sure you get the one with the 3/4" and 11/16" sockets.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I ended up sticking my wrench in the end of a pipe for leverage. The spare now rides in the cargo area of my Jeep.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    To be fair...I discovered the 3/4" 11/16" point is in fact in the (mostly flawed) LG operating instructions (that most of us didn't get from our dealers on delivery), just above "how to change a flat".

J.D. & Sue