Access to equipment compartment under the bed

Finally pulled a thorn out of my paw. Installed hinges on the driver-side bed platform in my 2021 400 BD so I have much easier access to the equipment compartment containing the backside of the Nautilus, the water pump, and the Alde equipment, including the famous yellow pressure relief valves.

2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX

Comments

• manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,327
    I really need to do the same thing. I’ve begrudgingly just been leaving the panel unattached to at least let me take the loose panel out but this would be so much better.

How are you able to have it stay up?
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 323
    Initially, I just jammed the sawed-off corner of the platform into the roof upholstery, as you see in the photo from the initial post. After my wife complained about that, I fashioned a strut from a strip of wood left over from the project. That is what you see in this photo. I lucked out on a place to store the strut - it fits in the gap between the back edge of the hinged platform and the wall of the trailer.
  • manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,327
    Nice solution!
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
    Thanks! I might have to adjust the platform’s Froli matrix due to my re-positioning the platform as a part of the project. We’ll see.
    Turns out no re-positioning of the Froli matrix was necessary. There is a decent gap between the matrices of the three bed platforms. I ended up moving the platform in question about an inch toward the middle platform, but still maintained a big enough gap that the two platform matrices did not overlap or interfere with each other.
  • fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 381
    Nice job!  There is a never ending project list for my T@b!
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
    Thanks and you’re not kidding. Immediately after I did this project, I replaced the NuCamp OEM rotating AC vent in the bedroom with another vent model that not only rotates but has dampers to adjust the force of the airflow. Why NuCamp didn’t provide a dampening vent is beyond me. The increase in cost is minimal.
  • subkronsubkron Member Posts: 163
    @Binghi
    How did you remove the existing OEM vent?  Do you just slip something between the vent bezel and surface and pop it off?
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
    Right, I used a slotted screwdriver to pop the rotating part off of the vent base. Then I realized you can grip the louvers of the rotating part and pull the thing off of the base without too much trouble. I removed the base by taking out the attachment screws and pulling on it. The A/C ductwork tubing is taped onto the 4-inch tube of the base. Pretty easy to remove the tape and release the ductwork. Then I reversed the process to install the new vent. I used metal-backed A/C tape to attach the ductwork to the new vent, but I bet you could use regular duct tape if that’s all you have.