Options

Problems with Apple products?

Apple had a couple of updates to the iPhone two or three weeks ago. Ever since then, I have to log in to the T@B and LG forums each and every time I go to them, even if I'm gone for a second. Yes, I have the box checked to stay logged on.  Yes, I have "rebooted" many times on a daily basis. Yes, I have closed the apps and links many times. 

This is not happening to any other forum or app, and I have a lot of them.  It is also not happening to my iPad, nor my MacBook Air. Only the iPhone.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Thanks
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2015
    No. I'm running an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.1 and though the mobile site vs. the full site acts weird every now and then, and it does make me re-log in every now and then, after I do, that's it. Did you tell iOS Safari to use private browsing? Stop setting cookies? It would seem some setting changed. 

PS. I have a MacBook Air and an iPad mini too and they don't seem to have problems. I don't think Vanilla likes iOS in general
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My iPhone is fully updated and doesn't seem to be having a problem. Try this...
    Up on the right edge of the URL bar is the refresh circular arrow.

Press and and hold on that circular arrow and you should get a drop down menu...

Chose "Request Desktop Site" and see if that corrects the problem.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    THANK YOU, PXLATED!!!   I should have asked three weeks ago instead of getting so frustrated!  I have never heard of holding down on the refresh symbol. It worked on both of these forums, although I had to perform it in a different sequence on the LG forum.  But, the two forums have always been different, since they were "crafted" at different times. 

I don't think Vanilla likes iOS in general
    That is an understatement!  

(And I'm still on the iPhone 5S because I had to buy it the day before the 6 was introduced. I was dumped off my kayak and the alleged waterproof neck bag was not waterproof. And, since I wasn't due for an upgrade yet, I had to pay full price.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Well, this doesn't work....It still logs me of after a while. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I had a period like that last spring where I couldn't stay logged in - never figured out why - it just cleared itself up after 2-3 weeks. More than likely has something to do with a cookie not getting set - cookies are usually what's used for tracking that kind of thing.

Try this - Go into Settings > Safari > Scroll down to "Passwords" ... In that list should be one for the forums ... Edit - Delete it ... Revisit the forums and login. A new entry should appear under passwords. Maybe that will reset it.
    If not, do that same thing then click on that entry in passwords, it will show you your username/password ... Delete and re-enter.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Or maybe clearing your vanilla forums related cookies.

Depending on which browser, the option is found various ways.

Which browser are you using Verna?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW - Verna's using an iPhone so more than likely Safari.
  • Options
    Safari. Chan. I'll try this later, PXLated--family cookout this evening. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Verna, iPhone Safari cookies...

Under Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website Data then hit edit in the upper right corner.

Click the red minus sign next to vanillaforums.com.

That will remove all vanilla stuff, so you'll have to log in again, etc.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    ChanW - Ahhh, knew where to wipe the username/passwords, forgot about the cookies/data settings/prefs area :-(
  • Options
    Here's Vanilla's answer to getting logged off each time you leave the T@B or LG forums:

"I would advise those users to check their cookie settings and make sure that they are set to "always". I would also confirm they aren't in private browsing mode. Generally getting logged out would be some sort of cookie issue, unless there is some other error they are seeing. Let me know if something else seems to be occurring."
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - We already knew it was probably a cookie setting, that's usually how logins are kept track of, so their answer isn't much help in that respect. Since everything works on iPad just not on iPhone, maybe go to Settings > Safari > Scroll down to "Privacy & Security" and compare those setting on both and see if the phone is set different than the iPad. Might also "Clear History and Wesite Data" right below the "Privacy" area.
    By the way, it seems to be working fine for me on the iPhone. It's kept me logged in through refreshes when I've tested it. I rarely use the phone for web stuff - screen too small - default to iPad. so I may not have tested it enough.
  • Options
    I used Chan's suggestion above here, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works. The T@B forum has "sometimes" kept me logged in for a few hours, but not overnight since the two iPhone updates. The LG forum has logged me off every time. 

I've stayed logged in (knock on wood) for about 3 hours right now, on both forums. 

I'm just used to the iPhone, small screen and all. I bought the iPad and MacBook because the Dell took so much data just to boot up. I do have a hotspot so I can use  iPad instead of the iPhone, but I get throttled if I go over 5 gbs on the iPhone. 

ChanW said:
    Verna, iPhone Safari cookies...

Under Settings/Safari/Advanced/Website Data then hit edit in the upper right corner.

Click the red minus sign next to vanillaforums.com.

That will remove all vanilla stuff, so you'll have to log in again, etc.

Verna, Columbus, IN