Options

Can you tow the T@B with the snap on exterior A/C cover attached?

Getting ready for our T@B's maiden voyage this weekend. I've attached the snap on A/C cover to the outside ventilation grill. It is held on with only 4 snaps, and I was concerned that it could blow off during tow. Any advice? Tow with it vs. towing without it?
2014 T@B Model Q - Silver/Black Towed with 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Orange) Live in Denver, Colorado "Bad decisions usually make for really good stories!"

Comments

• Options
    My impression was that it was meant to be a safeguard from insect intrusion during storage only.
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    What is this cover of which you speak? I do not have one.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I have something similar. It should not be attached while towing, it is meant for storage only.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    XPADREX said:

What is this cover of which you speak? I do not have one.

This is not something that is standard, it was added by my dealership.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    benderennsbenderenns Member Posts: 41
    My impression was that it was also  to prevent water intrusion along rain soaked highways into the vent area. I have driven with it on an it handled the wind OK. No problem as it is
     snapped on tight….
    Chris and Phil -  Sally D., 2015 Q Maxx, Toyota 4Runner, Sidney, BC, CANADA
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Can someone provide a photo of this? It seems like more than one of you either have this or know of it, and I would like to know more.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    The vent cover seems like a good idea. I have been concerned about highway rain water entering the vent when passing the big rigs on the interstates. 
    I have not seen evidence of water entering the inside of T@B by way of the ac vent. 
    It looks like REBAR started the conversation... Let's hear from you on Who, What, Where and When.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    RebarRebar Member Posts: 29
    Will try to post a photo, but we did snap on the cover and tow the coach several hundred miles with the A/C cover attached last week. No problems. It stayed attached the entire trip and no water nor grit made it into the A/C compartment.
    2014 T@B Model Q - Silver/Black Towed with 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Orange) Live in Denver, Colorado "Bad decisions usually make for really good stories!"
  • Options
    mrbork99mrbork99 Member Posts: 1
    When I picked up my 2014 T@B in February this cover had been installed by the dealer and I was pleasantly surprised as I had not seen it before on dealer inventory or T@B literature.  We just got back from a 7,000 mile, two month road trip to California and it stayed on the whole way in all kinds of weather.  In Arizona I was fighting 40mph headwinds and it stayed put.  The airflow coming off the front of the T@B seems to deflect off to the side and it doesn't catch the cover and the snaps are very heavy duty.  When the A/C is in use I just undo the two top snaps and let it hang.
  • Options
    ??? Where did this thing come from? Mike, any intel?
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Will see what I can do.....   *-:)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I DID get a response from the factory and some before/after photos as follows:

Mike,

Here are 2 pictures regarding the cover.
    We have one for the AC units that we have installed and one for the Coolcat.
    They come in either White or Gray and include 4 snap screws to attach to the vent.
    Cost is $17.50.  If someone wants to order, they should call Elise at 330.852.4811 between 5:30am and 3:30pm EST (M-F).

• Options
    Thanks for the follow up, Mike!
  • Options
    I would have posted this up earlier but I was pleasantly detained up in the upper peninsula of Michigan for four days with my Silver Shadow.....   :D

• Options
    A worthy reason!
  • Options
    benderennsbenderenns Member Posts: 41
    Mike -  A beautiful area to be !

Chris and Phil -  Sally D., 2015 Q Maxx, Toyota 4Runner, Sidney, BC, CANADA
  • Options
    rverginiarverginia Member Posts: 21
    Snap and drive. We just drove 500+ miles and no issues. You can see it flapping a little in the side mirror, but it doesn't go anywhere. Maybe as the snaps age it will be something to keep an eye on.
    Bob and Pam, Martha Lake, Washington 2015 T@B Q M@xx PorT@Bella, Mercedes GLK-350, Shitake the Kayak, and our bikes - Chan and trelle.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

How do you get the snaps attached to the T@B?  Do you have to be handy? I'm good with a drill, but snaps????

:((
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    Good question, Wanderoo. We are also wondering if this is necessary for the S model since the AC unit is further from the ground?

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The snaps appear to have a screw in the middle of the piece that screws into the vent. Beth, I'm sure you would be able to install it yourself.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The snaps should come with screws and are the same style used on boat covers, tarps, etc.  Pretty simple to install and if anything, they will not loosen up with age and it is best to get your fingers beneath them to unsnap them as otherwise you could damage the material if you do not take them off carefully and properly.  I've used this style snap for many years and the easiest thing to do is rub a candle or paraffin around the (surface area) male portion of the snap to make installation and unsnapping process smoother and easier.  I use an old candle on the door track of my sliding screen door at home (and my boat cover snaps) and this does help.  You could also apply a small amount of silicone around the snap as well as this works too.  
  • Options
    shorthillssummitshorthillssummit Member Posts: 9
    I have the ac that's higher up..is the cover more for preventing wetness getting in..Does anyone know if they make the smaller one for the ac located higher up or if it's really needed? Thank you!