"L" model back cabinets

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
edited October 2014 in Factory Comments
Hi all --- wondered if anyone on the forum would share pictures and dimensions of the interior of the long cabinets in the "L" model. I thought I'd be able to see one in person but my dealer said he neither has one on the lot nor has plans at the moment to bring one on. I've seen some pics of them when they're closed but wanted to get a better sense of the storage capacity - perhaps I missed a posting of the inside? Thanks! Michele
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    edited June 2014
    I have a 2008, so there's no guarantee the measurements will match a new one at all, but these are some I jotted down. Doorway: 13" wide x 28" tall. Center cabinet floor board: 30.5" long x 19.5" wide. Side cabinet floor board: 20" long x 19.5" wide. Storage under cabinet floor: 10.5" - 18.5" deep. Closet depth: 18" at 6" above floor, 13" at 12" above floor.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Thank you very much for taking the time to measure!

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

edited June 2014
    I've struggled over the years to use the space effectively, instead of just piling stuff in and shutting the door. I think this year I'm going to try using a couple of shower curtain tension rods across the whole space, with shelves on top. I hesitate to run screws anywhere, and I'm not convinced they would hold effectively enough. I don't utilize the under-cabinet space much. For one thing, you have to unpack the entire cabinet to get to it. More importantly, I did put some things there (notably a screen room I don't often use) and could immediately feel that I had too much weight in the back. Now I have lightweight things like extra paper products in an underbed container that fits perfectly.
    Pretty clever idea to put the tension rods up (I envision two side by side and then lay some wood across them?). Not sure if the newer years have the same but it appears so from the pictures (can only find pics with the doors closed). I've lived in some pretty tiny areas so coming up with storage solutions has been important - I know it'll be the same when I get my T@B. Thanks again. Michele

Put up the shelf. I think it works well. Plus, I can change it whenever I want to adjust the way I pack. (The shelf is 12" deep.)
    Looks great and very functional!

• DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    This is a brilliant solution for making use of the great space in the rarely seen L model. I'm eagerly awaiting mine, ordered in early May but held up some until the new openable front window is available. It's now scheduled to arrive in early September. Thanks to Kristi and other T@BLers for all of their help and insights about the L.
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
    By the way, I used two pieces of 1/4" MDF for the shelves (having two shorter pieces makes it easy to get them through the doors). Having the supports lengthwise means you can use thinner, lighter shelves.
    So I headed over to the T@B yesterday to start readying it for Tearstock, and the lovely little shelf I had installed had fallen, although I didn't have much weight on it. I'm thinking of upright 1x2's to support the shower rods on each end, but I'm open to other creative ideas. I don't want to screw anything into the wall of the camper, though.
    Kristi - not sure if this would work but perhaps something like these "floor wire shelving units" would fit. I have some in my small home now and they come in depths of 12" and some as little as 8" with varying heights and number of shelves. They're lightweight and yet strong. Just a thought!

Thanks. i've tried several similar units, but I found they reduced the flexibility of that cavernous (for a T@B) space. The shelf running the entire width works well for me--I just have to get it to stay up!
  • SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Hi Kristi~ Here is how we maximized the storage in our L-shaped T@B back cabinet:
    We bought fabric collapsable bins from IKEA and sewed D-rings into each corner using cloth tabs.  Then we inserted loop type Command Strips through each D-ring.
    We hung the bins in each section of the back cabinet (4 bins) using Command Strips. 
    We have larger collapsable bins that we pack at home.  They fit nicely in the cabinet under the hanging bins. They're lightweight, too.
    Command Strip change/eyeglass holders stick to the cabinet door.
    We attached a narrow board (in 2 parts, joined in the center with a metal plate in order to get it into the space) using L brackets attached to the bottom of the shelf and the back of the door frames.  The shelf is not attached to the back wall so no holes are made in the camper itself.   Nothing heavy sits on the shelf but it holds a lot of stuff!
    Everything stays in place as we travel through the miles.

Katie and Dave
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

Katie/Dave - what a brilliant idea! Very clever. On the top shelf I see how you joined two pieces and understand the L brackets in the door frame, but how does it stay level if nothing is holding it in the back area? Thanks for sharing! Michele

Hi Michelle!
    It's a very narrow shelf and the L brackets are supporting about 1/3 of its depth.  It stays nice and level.  If the shelf is placed lower, it must be deeper and so a longer L bracket would be needed.  Hope this helps.
    ~Katie

Those are excellent ideas! Is the surface on back wall of your cabinets similar to the walls? I think mine is a carpet-type material. I hadn't thought Command hooks would work on it.
    Yes, our back wall is just like the side walls-smooth not carpeted. So, the shelf would work for you but not the hanging baskets. That's too bad.

Kristi, you may find that industrial strength Velcro ( the hook side) could replace the back wall command strips. Loop a long narrow section of Velcro through the D rings and attach to the carpeted wall. Just a thought.

Yes, I was thinking Velcro. For my shelf,I've cut some 17" lengths of scrap 1x4's to use as uprights. It's interesting that the shelf collapsed while the camper was sitting in the storage lot, but stayed up while I towed it home. I'll see how it does on the way to Ohio, but once I'm the I'll likely put in the uprights regardless. That way I won't have to worry about how much weight I put on it.
  • Dwane52Dwane52 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2015
    We have the L model and what I did I put dividers between the 1st door and 2nd door, than I put a divider between the 3rd and 4th door.  I also put shelves in each one.  The 1st door is were we hang our clothes.  I also put a hinge on the bottom shelve of the 2nd/3rd door.