Options

New T@Bbie with supply questions

twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
edited October 2014 in Tips & Tricks
My first trip with the T@B CS-S is the weekend of July 25.  I have never owned a RV and I'm feeling a bit nervous about all the new things to learn and manage.  I already downloaded the useful towing checklist.  Thanks to those that compiled it!  There is so much great information on this forum. 
I know I will need hoses for various purposes, but not sure what else.  Does someone have a list of essential supply purchases for a new owner, besides the trailer, hitch, and related?  I think I could also use a RV primer for dummies.  In case anyone gets nervous looking at the photo, I have since implemented wheel chocks and the stabilizers are down.  Thanks in advance!
Beth
Minnesota
Practicing to be a wanderer
2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I'm sure others will have more...but I'd add...fresh water hose, water pressure regulator, 30amp cord with 15amp attachment plug. We've also ended up with a lot of bungee cords and small flashlights...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Camping World has an RV for Dummies book.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

You'll need some extra fuses in different size AMPs, just in case something blows while you are trying out all your systems.  I bought a variety pack of Buss blade fuses.  Also, do you have the Alde?  There is a separate thread on this Forum about the special Alde glass fuses that are a little hard to find.  I, as well as others, have ordered them from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/F3-15AL250V-F3-15L250V-cartridge-Fast-blow-SHIPPING/dp/B009EU9ZWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405017235&sr=8-1&keywords=f3.15al250v

Feel free to ask any questions.  We were all "new" at one time, too. 

:(
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    ...you need access to this forum! ;-)

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Many first-time RVers will do "camp driveway" before heading out.  As you camp near home keep a check list and purchase list.  It's a good way to find what you need but don't have in the T@B.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Agreed, it is a good idea to camp locally at first if possible, it gives you a chance to work out all of the bugs.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options

Thanks for all the helpful info!  I do plan on a driveway night before the first trip.

Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    While we have a ton of car camping gear, we bought some light-weight, stackable/storable GSI brand cups & dishes, and a couple stackable/storable GSI pots & pans from our local outfitter. Our T@B RVV store is carrying the GSI brand also...well made and fits into LG/T@G/T@B small spaces.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    I just ran across this checklist -- this is really valuable to me as a new owner.  I naively thought RVs would come with a detailed guide on whats and hows.  The online T@B user guide has great key information, but for someone that has never owned a RV, it's not enough.
    http://www.rvlifestyle.net/essential.htm
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    Just looked at some of the GSI accessories on the REI web site - ooohhh, cool!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    Two additional helpful items...a cheap cigarette (12V) lighter outlet voltage indicator (e.g.Camping World), and a level gauge for your propane tank.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    I should also post the main page that has several links to checklists, even ones that can be customized.
    http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/09/checklists_rv_checklist.php
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    Follow up question on DurangoTaB's comment about a level gauge for the propane tank.  Is it true that certain functions will not operate unless the T@B is level, like the stove?
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hi, Beth -- The instruction manual for the Norcold 3-way suggests the T@B be leveled to within 6 degrees for the propane to flow properly through the lines.  I have a small bulls eye leveler that I put on the counter top when I get to camp to see how "off" I am.  Then I use those Lego-type plastic snap-together levelers to get me as close to "level" as possible, and I have never had a problem with my Norcold.  I have not heard of people having problems with the stove if they are out of level.  I have heard the comment before that if you are level enough to be comfortable sleeping, then the T@B should be level enough to operate the appliances.  Best practice is to get as level as possible.   :|
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options

Sorry about my confusing "level gauge" suggestion...I meant something like this:  http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Bar-B-Q-Propane-Level-Gauge/dp/B002SUCOR2 , so you know when your tank is low (vs. tilted)!

;)

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Oh, level of propane, not level to the ground!  :D  The Norcold refrigerators in the T@B CS-S only operate on AC and DC, not propane, so I don't have to worry about that particular item.  Thanks!

Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    Beth...but what about your stove?

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    I did purchase a 5 way level and plan to purchase the 2 way adhesive levels from Camping World, too.  Any gotchas I should look for?  Thanks!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    One thing I take along are a few freeze dried meals for those times when you arrive later in the evening after a long drive and are just too tired to prepare a meal and have to deal with dishes, etc.   I've taken many long cross-country trips and it's a heckuva lot easier boiling a couple of cups of water than having to prepare a meal in the dark in some remote location.   And while the water is boiling I'm able to do some of the site set-up details, come back, empty the water into the bag and have a hot meal and a cold beverage which really is quite tasty and satisfying.   And they have come a long way with these meals too and they really are not too bad!  

But hey, that is just me and it has saved my bacon on several occasions while on the trail and away from home over 2K miles!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    To answer the question about the stove - yes, it does make a lot of sense to have a propane level monitor, so I don't run out at very inopportune times!  :D  Thanks!
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx