Options

Is the Alde Worth Having?

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    So we decided to go without & will purchase the CS model.
    We took a look at a CS-S model, husband got inside, sat on the john & his arms were right up against the walls. He concurred that its just not for him. On-site facilities and/or outdoor shower 'tent' & portapotty it is! 
    So my question is, since were opting out of the inside facilities, can I go without an Alde?
    We are not planning on Winter camping much, have talked about getting a portable heater if needed & I can always heat up some h20 for dish washing.

As always, any & all input is much appreciated.

(....anxiously waiting on Honda to release the Ridgeline so I can FINALLY pull the trigger on this!)
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    So we decided to go without & will purchase the CS model.
    We took a look at a CS-S model, husband got inside, sat on the john & his arms were right up against the walls. He concurred that its just not for him. On-site facilities and/or outdoor shower 'tent' & portapotty it is! 
    So my question is, since were opting out of the inside facilities, can I go without an Alde?
    We are not planning on Winter camping much, have talked about getting a portable heater if needed & I can always heat up some h20 for dish washing.

As always, any & all input is much appreciated.

(....anxiously waiting on Honda to release the Ridgeline so I can FINALLY pull the trigger on this!)
    Yes, you can go without an Alden, but you can also order one with an outdoor shower, so you might want to think about that.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    No Alde might hurt resale though. It's a great feature for most.
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169

We have and appreciate our CS.  I think the Alde is a valuable addition both for use,  and resale.  Over our first year, we took at least a short trip each month. The trips generally varied from 3 to 5 nights, from coastal to mountain sites.  We did not use the Alde heavily for heat, but really appreciated it a few times.  We did, however, generally use the Alde for hot water.  It was almost always on simply for hot water convenience.  We used it almost exclusively on propane, and made it the entire year on a single bottle of propane.  I would definitely recommend the Alde.  The outdoor shower is available with hot and cold water, and if you choose, you can get a popup privacy shelter to use as an outside shower.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy a T@B CS as much as we have.

Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    dundonsdundons Member Posts: 36
    Yes on the Alde, hot running water and a warm morning trailer are nice.
     2016 T@B CS/ 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I used the Alde for heat my very first weekend with the T@B, when it was 57 and rainy damp outside and 70 inside. Not sure where you live but here in the NE we can get cool weather through May and beginning in September. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    tfire328tfire328 Member Posts: 22
    The Alde is wonderful and very stingy on propane. We bought out T@b in February (how is that for optimism in Michigan) and it was able to heat the T@b in the dead of winter. After all we had to try it out even just in the driveway. Having hot water always available is very nice too. 
    Ted & Donna. Bay City, Michigan. Ford Escape, 2016 Tab Max-S

• Options
    I'm also in the NE, Photomom. I'm still on the fence about getting a t@b with it.
    :neutral:

• Options
    The Alde was the deciding factor for me - Put me firmly in the T@B camp - It's a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I am in the camp that the Alde is not necessary IF you are not a boondocker. To me it takes up a lot of storage room under the benches. Since I use campgrounds with electric, a space heater gives me plenty of heat. I added an electric InSinkerator Instant Hot Water for dishes and soup, hot chocolate, oatmeal. If you are custom ordering a CS without the bath, then outside hatches under the rear bench, and a custom front storage cabinet would be the better way to spend money for me. Also would leave off the grey water tank, and just use a portable grey water container, or run a hose to campground sewer hookups.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I think you will find that most people who have the Alde will recommend it.  I don't have it, so don't miss it and wouldn't want it if I were getting a new T@B.  It's all a matter of personal use and preference.  If I were full-timing, I might consider it.  If it's just the heat you are concerned with, you can practically heat these units by striking a match.  Doesn't take much.  As for resale value, not a concern for me.  It's sort of like refusing to make alterations to the T@B because you're afraid it will hurt resale value.  I bought mine to use the way I want, not the way some future owner might.  Good luck and safe travels.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I tried striking a match but it kept setting off the smoke detector.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    We have an L model, two options, front window and the grey tank. Simple, lower maintenance, portable water heater & shower tent, portable A/C, portable 2 way fridge, small electric heater. Take along when needed, left at home if not needed. With all the troubles that I've read here with the Alde, I'm glad we don't have one.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Mine does have the CoolCat, and I love it!! I mostly camp in the Southeast though, so need A/C!!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    SlangeSlange Member Posts: 11
    We have a 2015 CS Sofitel with the Alde and love it.  It is very quiet and efficient. Last weekend was our seventh outing with the original propane tank with most of those trips using at least low level heat!   No problems with fuses or anything else with it.  Agree with others that available hot water is always nice.  Also agree that the head is very tight, unlikely to be used as a shower.  BUT, it is very usable at 2 am when it is cold and rainy outside!   In any case, you should get whatever you think will work best for you and fit your needs the best.  Hope the wait for the new Ridgeline is not too long so you can get camping!
    Steve
    West Chester, Ohio; 2015 Sofitel CS; 2015 Ford Escape
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    The Alde may be the best feature of all in our T@B. It is small very  efficient and quiet. It provides heat and hot water in a single unit that other RVs need two separate units which are  noisy and require high battery drain to operate the blower. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    While spending 93 nights camping in my T@B this past winter in Arizona, the absolute best feature was/is the Alde. I spend the previous winter in Arizona in a Silver Shadow teardrop, with no furnace. My 0* sleeping bag was my best friend a year ago, and now the Alde is my best friend. It's so simple, so quiet, such a comfort knowing I will wake up to a warm T@B. The Alde extends my camping possibilities to any day in a given year. Sure I had a blown fuse one day, but due to this forum, I knew the front fuse on top of the Alde was probably blown. No worries--just replace the fuse and there was heat. It sure beats relying on a a sleeping bag and a small dog who thinks it is my job to keep HER warm ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Must. Have. Alde! I have a CS. Outside shower is awesome. Former tent camper with a zodi hot water heater. Loved it but it must be lit for each use. I camp with a group of friends and they ALL now brush their teeth in my T@B sink. Last year we showed up to the campground onlly to find a pipe had burst. No hot water on site. Who saved the day? Me and my alde. It kkept up with showers for all. I coulda sold showers to the other campers there! Haha. Never leave home without it
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Just one the beautiful things about these wonderful trailers is the fact that you CAN order them exactly the way YOU want it and you aren't faced with a list of "mandatory options" like the other trailers. So you can be totally happy with whatever equipment level that YOU have chosen. Ours is basic, we love it that way, others are loaded up with options, perfect. Can't beat it. Happy camping for everyone.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Many thanks to everyone who shared their input. This is priceless & one of the many benefits of being a member here! 
    :bow:

• Options
    AustinRoamersAustinRoamers Member Posts: 45
    The deciding factor for me would be my intolerance for cold.  It makes me miserable.  My husband could sleep on an iceberg and not notice. The Alde is a nifty little system (though not entirely intuitive). I give it a thumbs up but if cold doesn't bother you, maybe it isn't necessary.
    Kat & Sam      Austin, TX        2018 T@B 400           "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    edited June 2016
    We also think that ALDE is not needed, and if you don't plan to boondock it is definitely an unnecessary burden and a waste of precious storage place. We camp deep into winter and use a small electric quartz heater ("Vornado", available on Amazon for ~$30), which keeps us comfortably warm even when the outside temperature drops into low 30s or 20s. If we were to buy a new T@B, it would HAVE to be without Alde - else, no deal. 
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    Not just boondocking - Most campgrounds I've been in have no hookups.
    If that's all you do is go to places with hookups, you could get by without but would think it would limit your resale. You'd have to find someone that does the same.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    If resale is a concern, it is clear even from this thread that there is a market for non-ALDE t@b's, particularly in the Southeast. Additionally, ALDE is an expensive piece of machinery, and a t@b ordered without it must cost less to begin with -  hence, it is only fair that such t@b would fetch a lower price in resale. (Btw, all state parks in GA have hookups, I believe also in FL. We stayed in a number of county campgrounds and US Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds around GA lakes, which also have hookups. )
  • Options
    Sorry, disagree - This forum is not a good indicator of the larger marketplace. And even if it was there's only what, 2/3/4 proponents?
  • Options
    The we shall agree to disagree.
  • Options
    The cost is certainly a factor. If I can save 2 grand on 1 item that husband & I can easily work around, that's worth it to me. 
    Good points on both sides; I truly appreciate everyone's input. 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I do love the Alde. The efficiency is amazing. I love the even nature of the heat and speed of the hot water heater. I think as Alde USA improves it's documentation, it will become less of an enigma and more of a sought after unit. Other than the high altitude rumble, which appears easily manageable, it is extremely quiet. I am amazed at how little LP I go through boondocking. I am still on last summer's 20 gallon tank. I would get the Alde, again, without hesitation.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    It's all about your style of camping. In almost 10 years of ownership, and many 100s of nights camping, I have spent exactly three nights camping without traditional hookups. But I had electric on each of those nights. Two nights I was tailgating at an Auburn game, but I plugged into my neighbor with a Class A Diesel and generator. The other night was when my son's Scout troop was camping at a sports park on a bicycling trip, and on that trip, there was an electric pole with a 20 Amp plug. For those that enjoy going to parks and lands without power, that's great for you, but there are many, many T@B owners that stay with parks with hookups.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    We're the exact opposite. Roughly two years full time and maybe three hookup days a year.
    But yep - All in your prefered style. However, when you try to sell it's not. It's about what a potential buyer's style is. The more options your camper has, the wider your potential market.