Options

We will pickup our first T@B in two days, looking for advice.

gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
We are long time tent campers from northern California. I've been browsing here lately and see a lot of good information.  As really new T@B owners, we would really appreciate suggestions and warnings, particularly any specific to the Cs model.
Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim

Comments

• Options
    I see I was pretty stingy with introduction information. my name is Gil, which you probably guessed. I'm a 72 year old retired electrical engineer and my wife, Catherine, was a middle school librarian until she retired about a month ago. Cathy has a friend that is enthusiastic about their T@B and started looking at some displayed next to the freeway while returning home (Folsom, CA) from work. She became strongly biased toward the clamshell as she does not want cooking inside the unit. She convinced me to look and I was impressed enough to Start research and make the purchase. A week before we bought, the dealer had seven units. We bought the last one. Our three children are on their own (well the youngest is graduating this winter), so we can start planning for the two of us. We are excited about traveling with the T@B an already have trips planned. We would appreciate any suggestions regarding use of the T@B or any destinations. I already appreciate the information I've found here and hope to contribute when I gain some experience.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2014
    Welcome aboard Gil and although I don't own a T@B (2014 Silver Shadow) I think you will find folks helpful and knowledgeable here as we have some very innovative and seasoned owners here on the forum.  

If it were me and I was picking up my trailer in two days I would ask for a complete instructional walk through and operational demo of the unit.  The list below should help out or get you started and I believe that other owners will add to it as well.   In many instances we as trailer owners fail to get pertinent information due to our inexperience and because we just are not unaware certain features or operational issues are present.  You are on the right road looking asking be better informed and knowledgeable and I believe that others will benefit (even the dealers) down the road.  This is a major purchase and it's important be fully informed on all fronts as it pertains to functionality, operation and maintenance of these units.  

Being a new owner you should look the unit over completely for your own personal satisfaction.  Check doors, window operation, galley door, cabinetry/cupboards/under-bed areas/drawers, TV & Stereo operation, trailer finish, front cowling & latches,  propane tank, sewer hook-up, water & water valve locations/operation, etc.  It's important that you "understand how things operate/function and how to service & maintain things" as issues always surfaces after people bring their trailers.  Big hitters or hot buttons for your dealer during pick-up might be as follows and as noted above, please feel free to add to the list via your knowledge and personal experience as an owner:
    • Electric Converter - Have them explain the function of the converter, fusing/wiring aspect, fuse replacement, etc.  There's a misconception that the converter is an inverter and you attain 120 volts from the battery, so understand the power aspects of the trailer, ask questions, how light bulbs in fixtures are replaced, etc. 
    • Battery Location & Maintenance -  Have them show you how to access the battery, what charge requirements are necessary and how to maintain a proper charge when the unit is sitting idle.  
    • Power Cord/Cable TV - Review the proper power hook-up procedures/recommendations, the location of extension cord, cable TV hook-up, TV/Stereo operation, etc.  
    • Solar Quick Disconnect/Charge Port -  Have them show you where this port is located as you might decide to buy a solar panel later and this is the hook-up point for solar panels and should be built into your trailer.  
    • Stove Operation/Propane Usage/Refrigerator - Check the appliances inside the galley area, ask for a demo on how these work, how they are hooked to propane, safety precautions needed, etc.  The same applies to the refrigerator, power usage of each, duration, multiple power to frig (12 volt/propane/120 volt hook-ups) - how do you power up use these functions? 
    • Sink & Water/Hot Water Tank - Ask about the operation of the sink, how to activate the pump, precautions, hot water use/operation, etc.
    • Fire Extinguisher/CO2 Detectors -  Ask about these units, how to service and maintain them, expected life span of these units, etc.
    • Gray & Black Water - Ask for detailed info as to where valves are located and the best practices for each therein, porti-potti location, etc.  
    • Water Storage/Maintenance - Discuss the water holding tank operation & how to sanitize/maintain the system.  Many folks assume there is no maintenance, but there is and you should be aware of the valves, how to fill the unit, capacity of tank  and how to drain it for the winter, etc.  
    • A/C Unit - Look the A/C unit over, ask for a demo, what each switch does or how the unit is properly turned on/off, proper position of the trailer to facilitate proper drainage of condensation, safety precautions, winterizing if needed,  etc. 
    • Alde Heat System -   This is a big ticket item, very important and a thorough go through is needed.  How do you prep & operate the system, how do you maintain it, valve operation/location of valve handles, winterizing/flushing unit, etc?    
    • Cabinets - Inspect cabinets, look inside and inspect the cabinets.  Is there a sponge/dish rag drawer?
    • Windows/Door/Latches/Locks -  How do they work and lock?  
    • Roof Vent - How does it work, precautions, etc.?  
    • Wash -Wax & Maintenance Recommendations - What are the recommendations for washing & waxing?  Can I power spray this unit?  Are their maintenance requirements for the body, caulk and trim, etc.?  
    • Tires/Inflation/Stabilizers - Ask about proper inflation, tire rotation, axle specs & wheel bearing lube procedures/lube intervals, etc. Ask about tongue weight recommendations, tow weight requirements, etc.
    • Warranty Information -  Ask for this to be explained, get a users guide if it is available, appliance brochures, look all paperwork over, ask questions, review recommended maintenance procedures/requirements on both the trailer and any mounted equipment.  Ask for contact numbers, procedures/proper contact protocol and who to contact should an issue arise, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Mike - super information and I'll copy it into a document to take it with me when the time comes I pick up my unit. Very helpful!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Mike,
    Thank ou for the fine advice.  I've read the on-line manual fully and took notes about asking questions.  We are scheduled for a walkthrough and full demonstration on Friday that is scheduled for two hours.  The electric brake control and wiring will be installed in my Honda Pilot at the same time. I'm fairly comfortable with the Pilot's rating for max tongue weight of 450 pounds and max tow weight of 3,500 pounds.  Browsing this forum, I've seen some interesting ideas and suggestions.  For the most part, I'll wait on incorporating most suggestions until I have some experienceI.  After my challenging experience using a small U-Haul to move my daughter, I've decided to spend significant time on Saturday and Sunday practicing on the large High School parking lot.  Thank you for the excellent list that I will print and take with me.  I tend to concentrate on the more technical issues and my wife can be quite picky about cosmetic issues. (her first description of her interest in the T@B was It's just the right size and really cute!)  We are both anxious to get it home and prepped (flushing/sanitizing the water system, etc)..  We plan on taking a short trip next week to a campground we have previously tent camped at several times. 
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    You're going to have a ball Gil and there is a huge difference in towing comfort between the T@B and the U-Haul (as you well know), as most of the time the U-Hauls are proportionately unstable weight wise and this is why you see many folks swaying back and forth because there is more weight to the rear of their load and not enough on the tongue.  Good luck to you, as I am sure you and your wife are very excited as you should be!  

Have fun and safe travels!  
  • Options
    Cheryl74074Cheryl74074 Member Posts: 71
    That's a great list Mike! I wish we had had it when we picked up our T@b. Our dealer was definitely lacking in knowledge about the T@b. For example, I asked "what do we need to do to make sure it's ready to tow?" His reply was "nothing really". Good thing I knew that was wrong. Also, he insisted that we didn't have a black water tank when I knew we did. Good luck Gil!
    Cheryl, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, 2015 T@b S Maxx (T@bitha)
  • Options
    Kates_MobyKates_Moby Member Posts: 38
    Mike, that is a great list. We bought our tab used and only knew a few questions to ask. Now, after more than 50 nights in our tab I think we have it figured out. I will say your input on this board is wonderful. It is a big help to get others input. Today I met Bonnie, somewhere in Nebraska, and because we both had tabs, and had seen posts, we hit it off. Not only do you get a new camper, but you get a network of really friendly, nice people. Happy camping!
  • Options
    SunnyTABSunnyTAB Member Posts: 65
    Hi Gil and welcome to you and your wife! How exciting for you guys!

We'll be taking our 2008 TCS out for her 4th trip (with us) this weekend to eastern WA, and I can't tell you how happy we are that we chose the clamshell. I didn't have an opinion either way but my husband knew the outdoor kitchen was right for us. My favorite part is sitting outside the kitchen while folks wander over to satisfy their curiosity. We meet so many amazing people.

Our unit has no AC or heat so it's fairly foolproof. We haven't used the stove, but we have used the fridge. I don't know what the right thing to do is, but after we got mold in the fridge once I've learned to wipe it out and leave it open when stored (unplugged). 

I've also heard that you should put tennis balls over the toggles that lock the door when it's open so you don't smack your head. I'm short and my husband's 5'10" so we've never had a problem. 

Be sure to post pics once you pick up your new toy!

Tiff in Seattle

2012 BMW x3/2008 TCS "Sunny"

• Options
    TabyDDTabyDD Member Posts: 52

Hi SunnyTab

I should be getting my new T@b this Saturday, I am hoping to have a short shakedown cruise the beginning of the week, but I'm going one step at a time.  It would be lovely to have your itinerary for the next couple of months, just in case.  You had mentioned your trip to Prosser, that will be out for me next week, do you have anything else on your calendar?   Or, I should ask, how late in the season to you camp.  Do you take the ferry's?  Any tips? Are you considered under 30 feet, or is it 40?  Thanks so much for all the good info and safe travels.  I look forward to meeting you one of this days?!  Thanks again.

DD

Seattle, Wa
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    Gil, welcome to both of you. I am almost a neighbor over here in Kelseyville. Essentially a straight shot west on Hwy 20. I was looking on Collins Lake website earlier. You are possibly fimular with Collins Lake since it is just west of you off Hwy 20 a lttle north of Marysville. Thinking of making some reservations for a mid week trip. Used to go there many years ago and need to check it out again soon. We have a nice State Park here on Clear Lake you may want to check this one out. 

That list Mike posted is a great list. But, we all seem to know more about the product being offerd than the dealer does. Ok that's maybe unfair since I have found, a very few, dealers over the years that did know their product. Most anything you need to know is somewhere on the forum or the folks here can get or direct you to the information needed. In my short term experience here on the forum the participants are very willing and eager to help you.

Many happy camping days in your T@B are ahead of you.  
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    Thanks, SunnyTab.  I appreciate the heads up on the fridge.  That's the type thing I would overlook, having only used refrigerators in our kitchens that were never unplugged long.  I'll also keep the tennis ball idea in my file.  I'm 5'11" and my wife is 4"11.5" (that .5" seems to be important :)  She is the one who first became interested in the T@B, and was quite firm about preference for the clamshell, as she didn't want any cooking inside for several reasons - but firm reasons.  I lived in Tacoma while stationed there in the Air Force a good part of a lifetime ago.  It's beautiful country that I look forward to re-visiting. Thank you for your welcome and advice.
  • Options
    Jimbo, Thanks neighbor for the welcome.  I've taken Hwy 20 by Clearlake many times on my way to MacKerricher State Park near Fort Bragg (one of my favorite parks), but more recently, I've been picking up Hwy 101 closer to the Bay Area an taking that to Willits.  [the directions are not for you, of course, butI had to plug one of my favorites.]   I haven't been to Collins Lake yet , but we are meeting some friends near there at Lake of the Springs during October.  California does have some great state parks, but reservations seem to be getting more difficult to get.  I remember paying $7/night.  Now it's $35/night, but still well worth it. I was really worried when budget concerns threatened a closure of man of the parks, but relieved when it didn't happen. I've heard of Collins Lake, but never checked into it.  Thanks for reminding me to do that.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I think as customers we sometimes take things for granted as we want the best product we can get for our money and with that, we also want to know as much as we can about the products we purchase which is reasonable.  I know first hand that Little Guy wants the same for their customers, they want to produce a quality product, they want to provide the best service possible and want their customers to be able to enjoy their products, be happy/satisfied and have a great camping experience.  I also believe the same is true for their dealers and distributors, but like anything else, it does take time to acquire knowledge and to learn the product line from top to bottom.  By having a list in hand, we are actually helping the dealers, as the end result is that everyone learns and hopefully everything gets explained.  

I looked the list over and cleaned it up some, corrected some typos and added a few things on too.  
  • Options
    gilbutler,
    I just called Collins and they have 100 sites available next week so I am planning to go Tuesday and come back Friday. Will advise you and others about the campground. I have not been there since around 1977. Hope to catch a trout for dinner on night..I can see form the site map it is probably double the developed sites since then. First outing with the new T@B. I think I have everything ready to roll, but there will be that one thing I will have forgotten....Yeah I know make a LIST, and I have....Now I can let myself get a bit excited in antisipation of starting my camping experiences again. I will take some pics and see if I can figure out how to post a couple. I do remember seeing something on the forum about how to post pics, but will have to search a bit to find it again. Yeah the rates have certainly increased over the years. But I do understand the reasons, so just grin and bare it if one wants hook ups. I want them this trip to test all the systems on the unit, and it is hot still and the heat seems to get to me more in recent years. Never a problem in younger years. 

Let me know about Lake of the Springs. I don't recall that one. Guess I could Google it but a word about it from a fellow forum person would be appreciated. 
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    I just had a great experience picking up our new T@B.  I am seriously impressed with Folsom Lake RV and all their staff I met.   When I went (by appointment) to pick up our trailer, Carl explained and demonstrated every piece of equipment, switch, etc. I brought my list of questions, but didn't need it as he answered each before I could ask.  He then gave me his card and told me to call anytime I have a question.   Since he knew I was a first time trailer guy, he spent time giving a lot of helpful advice.  I'm really glad I bought here.  Of course, the next nearest T@B dealer is at Azusa in Southern California, so I just Lucked out.  I'm looking forward to info on your trip to Collins Lake, Jimbo.. I hope all goes well with you.

• Options
    Gil,  Congratulations and happy to hear you had a great delivery experience at Folsom Lake RV. NOW on your mark get set GOOO...We are both going to have a great time.

Just to let you know there is a T@B dealer in Ukiah, Vogels RV <vogelsrv.com> . He has sold them since before 2006 when we first started looking at them. Just letting  you know so if you ever need a dealer for some emergency work on the road in this area, they to are great folks and know their stuff. 

I received my PahaQue T@B cover and XL Visor this afternoon via FedEx which was not due to ship till 9/15, so got them earlier than expected. Too late in the day to install or look at to much but will check them out tomorrow. Finally found the Video on how to install the Visor on You tube via the PahaQue website after registering my purchase. I have read a lot of other folks comments on the Visor installation so I know what to watch out for during installation. I also watched some of the other videos for PahaQue. I may invest in a Cottonwood  one of these days. Looks like a quality product form a customer service oriented company. 

Viewed a lengthy group of pics of their products and newsletters. Saw pictures of Michigan Mike and his current and former Little Guy rigs and some trip pics. Nice job Mike.
  • Options
    Jim,
    Looks like I was misinformed and didn't do my homework. Thanks for the correction.
  • Options
    Gil, No correction intended. Just passing on info just in case you needed a dealer for repairs in this area, while on the road.
  • Options
    FrontierFrontier Member Posts: 11
    One thing to be sure of operation is the Alde heating and hot water system, most things can be figured out as one hooks up etc or other campers can aid you but the Alde system is new and not fully understood by many owners. We had a new T@B ?2007 and know the basics but winter is fast approaching and heat will be needed.