Options

Reese Wireless Brake Controlers

Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
edited June 2016 in Trailer & Towing
Thinking about going with this type of brake control so I can tow with multiple vehicles without wiring up two vehicles. Seems kinda nice but I can't help but wonder "what if it lost signal" between the wireless units. Any thoughts or advice? 

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I may not be asking correctly as its all new to me. What I'm referring to are the brake controllers where a unit mounts to the trailer hitch area permanently  and you have a handheld device you can carry into multiple TV. Several dealers I have ask about these units shy away from the discussion and advise me to use the units that mount into the TV. I don't want to mess with my TV wiring and I don't want to purchase two brake controlers when this other system takes care of all that.,

This type of unit is what I'm referring to:
     tekonisha -prodigy-rf-electronics-wireless-brake-control. I'm not sure I spelled all that correctly!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Haven't heard of anyone using the Reese but severalmembers are using the Prodigy and haven't reported any problems.
    As far as loosing contact, it would depend on your tow vehicle. My Jeep Wrangler is heavy so about the only time I actually "need" the brakes is for an emergency stop or mountain grades above 6%. The T@B just insn't heavy enough to push me around.
  • Options
    Thanks, I will be using my Jeep Wrangler 4 door Rubicon as a second short haul (less than 159 mile trips) TV. I didn't have the factory tow package however I added a hitch. I still have to add the 7 way connector but I'm struggling in knowing if a plug and play system is available since mine didnt have the tow package. Utalization of 2 different TV is the reason I was so interested in the "RF" type controlled brake units. I can move the handheld portion between vehicles providing I can solve the Jeep 7 pin mystery. I will be pulling a T@B Outback
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    The way I understood the literature, the full function of the controller is built into the unit attached to the trailer.  The remote is used for initializing (pairing), adjustment for trailer weight, and manual override if needed. 

Perhaps someone can confirm or correct this.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim