Options

AM Reception on the Jensen AWM968

With other preparation modifications and concerns in our first extended usage of our 2015 T@B SMax that we bought last fall (this summer we took a 3600 mile trip from MN to the east coast and back in two weeks) that ended up as a great first real experience with the T@B, I haven't paid much attention to the Jensen AWM968 system that came with the unit. We have used the DVD, but haven't been anywhere that the external TV signal is available. I found that the FM seems to work very well everywhere for our purposes, but the AM doesn't seem to work at all, even on our one local station that is receivable everywhere in our region. This is when we are on shore power at the campsite or in my driveway. I even took a portable radio we use for camping into the trailer with me and placed it right under the Jensen and it worked fine.

Reading some of the entries here on the T@B users blogs I noticed that one mentioned that the inverter in the WFCO Power Center might be causing enough interference to block the output of the Jensen amplifier. From my own radio experience this could happen if the interference overpowered the station signal and in turn activated the avc (automatic volume control/limiter) circuits in the Jensen causing it to block the audio output. So for an experiment I tuned into the local station, heard a low hiss or hum, then went to the inverter and flipped all the breakers to "off". The local station then came in loud and clear, not as sharp as my portable camping radio, but still very usable! This says to me: 1) The Jensen AM circuitry has very poor noise rejection and 2) the WFCO Power Center Inverter generates enough noise to  drown out any AM reception and manages to transmit it on the 12volt lines.

For the short term we will take our trusty camping radio along (a Grundig S350DL) on our trips. Unless someone has figured out a fix for the Jensen/WFCO problem, in the long run I will be looking at a replacement for the Jensen.

I would be curious if any other "radio oriented" T@B owners have found a solution to this problem.

Fergie in MN

Comments