Options

Swagman Bicycle Hicth adaptors

benderennsbenderenns Member Posts: 41
Wonder if the T@B bumper can accommodate a convertor device on the fromt or rear bumper so that a 2 " hitch receiver can be installed? The device mentions this:

"Turns your RV bumper into a 2" receiver for any of our 2" receiver mount bike or cargo racks. Bolt the adapter onto your bumper and you are ready to go. Only use with continuous welded steel bumpers. Not for use on aluminum or spot welded steel bumpers."
Chris and Phil -  Sally D., 2015 Q Maxx, Toyota 4Runner, Sidney, BC, CANADA

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Not sure about that. I thought about designing a hard mounted hitch for the back of the T@B, but I am not sure it would be stable back there. Instead I recently picked up a Swagman Towing Bike Rack. I still need to get a longer draw bar, at least 10" is going to be needed, so I have not tried it out, but if it works it will place the bikes between the T@B and the TV, in a stable location. I'll report back how it works in a few weeks.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Thanks..yeah would love to hear how that goes. Would love to bring the bikes!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited March 2014
    I saw something similar to this Bike Rack at the Rolling Home, but it was on the front of a Little Guy Silver Shadow. The owner had fashioned it on the tongue from a regular bike rack. I don't have a picture of it. Joe Kicos did go over there and look at it. It was just before this T@B Bike Rack came out. Had you considered it? Just curious.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Hi Verna,

I considered the T@B bike rack from wondered if a cheaper alternative was possible…I want to save my $$ for a T@B awning.. :\">
  • Options
    If Little Guy wants to sell any of those T@B bike racks at that high of a price, they certainly need to supply way more information about it. The web-site literally says .... "The T@B bike rack holds 2 bikes - $575". That's it ! 
    Not much info there from a marketing standpoint. I immediately lost interest when I couldn't discern it's functions relative to accessing the storage compartment for example.

If they want to send me one, I'd be glad to produce a high quality HD sales video demonstrating all the ins and outs and features of the rack  :D
  • Options
    I recently consulted with our local RV dealer and he discourage me from getting an extended 'draw' bar to accomodate a swagman "jacknife 2 bike' verticle rack as ihe said it would decrease the weight pulling capability of the bar. Is that correct? I don't know what is actually the truth….Thanks everyone for your help…

Chris
  • Options
    If you follow the weight limits that the bar is labeled for you should have no problem.  To accomidate my bike rack I replaced my 6" bar with a 10".  It is rated at a 6000 pound capacity, three times what I will be towing.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    That makes great sense. I wonder why they (RV dealers) are so confusing? 
    I will ask for that specifically this weekend and see if i get anywhere with him.
    Do you just add one bike or have you pulled two?
  • Options
    While I only have pictures with one bike on the rack, this was for testing purposes.  I took it out last weekend with two bike on it and had no problem at all.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    I'm not an expert but from what I read and can discern, it doesn't change the "weight pulling" capacity but it does increase the tongue weight that the rear of the vehicle sees ( longer lever arm produces more force). Since the T@B normally produces about 160 lbs of tongue weight I would think that as long as your tow vehicle has a tongue weight rating well above that amount, you're probably going to be ok. I bought my 16 inch draw bar from eTrailer.com and they have a live chat feature on their web site I believe so you might ask them.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thanks so much! My tow vehicle is a 2003 Toyota 4runner so I will check that too…great having pals to discuss this with  >:D<
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    My tow vehicle has a rear mounted spare tire, so I had a bike rack specifically for it long before I bought T@b.  The dealer wasn't sure if I could still use it while towing T@b, but I bungee the wheels back and have had no problems.  Two bikes might be too much though.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If you notice the Little Guy icon to the left upper corner of the page that is my former 5-wide trailer.  I have hauled two bikes around the country without any issues.  regardless, safety should be your ultimate goal/concern with any of these bike racks and a thorough examination of a rack should be done regularly as there is a lot of force exerted on them via road conditions, bounce, etc. off the rear of a trailer.   Most bike rack manufacturers do not recommend they be used for use off the rear of any trailer or RV.  

Be aware as we did have a Little Guy forum member experience a catastrophic failure of a bike rack out west a few years ago and lost two bikes so it's best to look around, find a rack that meets your needs and that will handle the bikes carried,  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Will report back what I find out…e-trailer.com seems very helpful…has anyone investigated the "Curt Multipurpose Ball Mount with a 2" Receiver for Bike racks and Cargo carriers - 7500lbs" part D210 or the "MaxxTow Ball mount w/2" Accessory Receiver- 2"Hitches- 2 1/4" Drop- 5000lbs" ? Is this another option ?

Chris

• Options
    There are a couple of people who own Little Guys who do use the Curt Multipurpose Ball Mount with a 2" Receiver for Bike racks and like them.   
  • Options
    Great Mike! Thanks….
  • Options
    Here is the Little Guy discussion and some feedback on the dual receiver.