Options

Removing the Sink from the Wet bath M@x S

I would like to remove the Sink and faucet in my 2014 Wet Bath. The sink is too small to be more then a soap holder and without the sink would improve the space significantly. I plan to put in a single handle shower mixer on the wall for the spray hose. I would like to know if anyone has done this or has ideas on how to patch the 3 holes in the vinyl once the old drain and water lines are removed. 

John D. 
2014 TAB M@X S series

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    If it were me, I would place a call down to the factory and ask to speak to Marvin.  He might be able to give you some suggestions and a means of accomplishing what you want to do there.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I'm glad our 2014/15 didn't include the sink as I agree with you. I had to plug an extra hole in the top of our house kitchen sink and found a color matched "blank" that's meant for that purpose at our local plumbing supply store (Fergusons). Barring that, I wonder if it wouldn't look to intrusive to put a small panel of vinyl, silicone caulk the edges, and screw it in four corners...perhaps you could get a small piece from LG.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
    I would like to be able to locate some of the matching vinyl used in the TAB for a patch. I have not been able to find a source yet. Would appreciate insight others may have.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    John, call the factory and talk to anyone who answers the phone.  The phone number is listed on the right of this page in the T@B Contact Numbers
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks I will.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I'm sure the factory will send you out a matching piece of vinyl (or whatever it consists of) if it is available too, probably for a minimal fee.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I spoke with Marvin at the factory today. He was very helpful in finding a solution for patching the old plumbing holes if I take out the sink in my wet bath. One option is to replace the wall board which he can provide if I go this way. Seems like the best solution but also the most work. I may just try to find nice looking hole covers to attach. Still undecided.....
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    OneOleManOneOleMan Member Posts: 10
    Just a thought but for re-sale value you may want to consider replacing the wall board.
    Pat
    Life is Good
  • Options
    I have thought about the best way to repair that will maintain good resale. And I also want it to look nice for me and function well. The challenge I see for replacing the wallboard is the panel runs down behind the shower base. The factory said they would just run the new panel down to the top edge of the shower base and caulk the seam. I am concerned how this might end up looking and given the panel is only 1/8" thick may have structural issues if pushed on at the bottom. This is a little like major surgery, so complications are a concern. I am still working out if I can replace the panel and have it look as good as new, or find discrete hole covers that don't look like Rube Goldberg was your repairman!
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    mcHmcH Member Posts: 2
    How about cutting a square of vinyl / plexiglass to go over the holes area - and not cover the whole wall. Could it not be screwed into the vinyl as a patch?  Maybe get creative and have it be a design?
  • Options
    Covering the holes is the approach I am taking. The 3 holes are close together and can be covered with one decoratively shaped cover. I bought a sheet of 1/8" thick white plastic from a guitar supplier that I will cut to shape. This material is used for making access panel covers on guitars. It matches the white fixtures in the bath and I can put a nice finished edge on it. All I will have to do is use silicon to attach it to the wall.

The bigger challenge has been to find a single lever temperature balance value that will fit in the wall space for the shower. I can find ones that fit outside the wall face but they are all in Europe and I can't find a distributor willing to ship to me. I may have to use the cheep two handle units used in most RV's. I was hoping for better quality. 
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    Hi John - could you post a link to the single lever unit you are referencing?  I am not a fan of the plastic two handle units.  Thanks!
  • Options
    Here is a link to the UK site for the fauset.  https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/triton-thames-vertical-bar-3546-21997 
    I have also included a photo. This is the only vertical shower mixer I can find. The access panel in my tab is narrow and close to the wall so a vertical unit allows me to work in the existing space. Also, because it is an external mixer there is no issue with the thin internal wall and having to fit a large value in the wall. 
    With the limited water supply in our tank (5gal) we waste water trying to set the temp with two handles. This unit has one control for setting the temp and one control for turning on and off the water volume. All I have to do is set the temp and forget it. Perfect!
    All I have to do now is find someone in the UK that will ship it to me.

John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    edited March 2015
    I don't know if it would help but I bought a 'Gadget" off of EBay that crimps PEX fittings.  I think it cost $25 and it was certainly worth the money.  I've used it on the sprinkler system and if I have  problem with the T@B, I'll use it there.  A clamp that is tightened with a 1/4' or screwdriver won't hold under pressure.  The gadget will fit in my hip pocket.
  • Options
    That seems a good price for a PEX crimper. I used to have one but sold in in a garage sale. I was planning to use the new "Shark Bit" fittings instead of bands. They work well on pressure lines and don't require tools.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Finally completed my upgrade to remove the sink from my MAXS. Thought I would share some pictures. I replaced the shower mixer with a temperature balance value and single volume control. I was able to get this value from the UK and it fits great in the small space. I couldn't find anything like it in the USA. 
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 913
    It has been two years now... Are you glad you did it?
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA