Trailer hand break

While following a different thread. They were discussing the idea of needing a brake. To help stop your trailer while manually moving it around on a slope surface. Got me to thinking. I think early T@Bs have a hand brake. The newer ones with electric brakes have an emergency breakaway switch. By simply installing a momentary switch to the electric breakaway circuit. You would effectively have a controllable hand brake. Your thoughts.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Good idea Dale.
    Brings up a couple of questions though:
    #1 Where would you install the switch where it would be handy to get to, especially if you were moving the trailer by yourself? 
    #2 How would you be able to access the switch to the brake-away circuit, and would it be in effect like an interrupter switch?  Thanks
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    How much current do the electric brakes draw, and could they run your trailer battery down if you left them on too long?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I would put it on a 3' to4' flexible cord. Maybe self coiling. I think if you just ground the wire going to the breakaway switch the brakes  engage. I would use a remote starter button like  mechanics use to use.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Photomom said:
    How much current do the electric brakes draw, and could they run your trailer battery down if you left them on too long?
    This is something you would apply for a few second at a time up to a minute or two. Not a long term brake  solution. Current draw would not be an issue.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • VermonsterVermonster Member Posts: 80
    Yes the early t@bs with the surge brakes have a hand brake.  Which leads to a story illustrating why one should use a checklist.  While pulling out of a tight campsite my wife Sharon was spotting for me.  Next thing I know she's waving her arms and screaming THE WHEELS ARENT TURNING!   Yup, I sheepishly went back and released the handbrake
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,509
    I'm thinking that activating my husband to "helpful" mode will solve most of my trailer to garage issues... ;-) 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red