Options

Atwood Furnace Removal?

My 2011 T@B has the Atwood gas furnace. The first month I owned the camper, I tried it once during a winter trip and it did not work. Tried it again at home recently, carefully following the manual, and it still does not work. When hooked up, I use the separate heat pump in moderate temperatures and use a small 1500W electric heater when its below 40F. I do not camp in winter without being plugged in. Basically, I do not need that gas furnace. So...I'm thinking to remove it altogether and have more storage space. Any advice - yeah or nay?
Stancil Campbell
2011 T@B
Rockingham, NC

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It is repairable. I'm sure some of the owners who have the Atwood furnace could steer you in the correct direction to get it repaired. 

My personal opinion is that your resale value would greatly diminished if you remove the furnace. Many people love their T@B's but life has a way in getting in the way sometimes, and the extra money gained on resale would outweigh the storage space. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    When you say it doesn't work, what are the symptoms.  Do you hear clicking when it starts and then doesn't work?   

There is a reset button on the left hand side of the furnace that sometimes is all that is needed to make the heater work.  

If this doesn't work, take off the cover on the left side (turn square at the bottom.  It should reveal what is the problem with four error code lights on the main circuit board.

As i recall, they are

Fault                                                LED Indication

Internal Circuit Board fault                 Steady on, no flashing

Limit switch/Airflow problems            1 flash with 3-second pause  

Flame Sense fault                             2 flashes with 3-second pause

Ignition Lockout Fault                       3 flashes with 3-second pause

This indicated the issue.  On mine, it was the first (circuit board fault).  I replaced board (just a couple of screws) and it has worked flawlessly since.....
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Another thing to consider is that campgrounds can loose their power.  Then you are without heat if you remove the furnace.  It has happened to us and I am glad I have the furnace and use it often.  We mostly boondock however. 

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    Estancio,
    We removed our furnace because of noisy operation and close proximity to sleeping (right under us).  We use a small ceramic heater when on shore power and have a small portable catalytic LP heater if no power.  We do not camp in the winter so no need for major heat source.
    Be sure to cap off the LP line under the trailer and seal off the intake/exhaust port on the side of the trailer.  A small piece of aluminium to replace the intake/exhaust cover has been used by other T@Bbers who have removed their furnace.
    You would not be alone in doing this mod.  
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    VermonsterVermonster Member Posts: 80
    We have kept the furnace and like its efficiency and instant heat but turn it off while sleeping. (For us we are comfortable without heat during the night even in subfreezing temps).  I do carry a small electric heater for backup in case we ever camp with hookups (haven't yet).  
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I have considered removing ours for the same reason as you, but we have been doing more dry camping of late so have kept it in.

@Geo's instructions are solid.  If you do remove it, keep it in storage so you have it when you go to resell.  It would be easy enough to reinstall.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Thanks to all who responded. Upon the advice of mash2, I will investigate problem. I did not know about the resent button or the other trouble-shooting details. Thanks!

But even if I get it repaired, I'll likely remove it as soon as we get a warm day to work outside. Keeping it in storage is a smart idea -- even though I never plan to resell it. Perhaps my heirs might, however....
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336

We like so many ordered and have modified our T@B to fit our personal camping style and typical environment.  Living in Florida we have never missed having permanently installed heat, can’t remember what was offered at the time.  We figured anything lost on resale is the price of t really enjoying our T@B, sort of like the time we splurged on excellent, but tourist trap priced, peach cobbler at 10 am because that when we could.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    Estancio, let me know if you get any additional information.  I did some research on the atwood  last year (I wanted to keep mine). so may have some thoughts if your get more info on the furnace issue.   
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Mash2, I did look at the furnace on Saturday. Saw no reset button on the outside. Opened the end of the furnace and saw no circuit board nor reset inside. Maybe mine is different. So I switched on the battery, turned on the gas, turned up the thermostat, and patiently waited. Fan worked perfectly and blew cold air for the longest time. It took at least 5 minutes before it finally ignited and operated perfectly fine after that. I was happy how quiet it was. Certainly a million decibels less that the AC/Heat pump. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
     Next time I can get to t@B, I'll shoot a couple of photos to document where my reset is so you've got a reference, okay?  
  • Options
    I like it better than the AC/Heat pump.  Don't use AC so the heater was better for me.