Options

Does any body tow T@B with 4 cylinder Subaru Outback?

Does any body tow T@B with 4 cylinder Subaru Outback?
How does it work?
The Subaru Otback manual tells it can tow 2500lb...
If any body has real life experience, please let me know.
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    RunningChickenRunningChicken Member Posts: 9
    We are towing with a 4 cylinder Subaru. We are new owners, and only used the T@B a couple of times. We know we are at the edge of what we should do. We intend to really watch road grades and elevations. The times we have used it, it tows fine on flats and mild grades.

We have a 2009 T@B and a 2015 Subaru Outback.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Be careful based on the T@B brochure the GVWR is 2,900 lbs and the GVWR is 2,800 lbs. Most cars will tow the issue is stopping ability and what its does to the engine and transmission. Another thing to keep in mind is your insurance and the fact that your car is rated for 2,500 lbs and the T@B is 2,900 or 2,800 thus being over the legal limits. I would check with your insurance agent to make sure you are covered.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I towed with a forester 2012 for a couple of years. If you play on going thru the western mountains, it is marginal.  east of the Mississippi River, I never had any issues with towing (I had a manual transmission).  However, ran into some dicey issues in the mountains (colorado, utah and Nevada in particular).  After 3 years, I switched to something more powerful and was glad I did -- but outside of the mountains, it had enough power.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Isn't the dry weight of the T@B somewhere in the 1700lb range? Mine (2015 S) is stamped with a cargo capacity of 1130lbs maximum. Makes sense, since this adds up to the 2800lb GVWR John and Kris noted.

However, even with all the tanks full (~325lbs) and a good stash of gear, it seems you'd have a hard time reaching 2500lbs, let alone 2800.

I'm not saying the Outback is adequate, that using it is legal, or that your insurance won't deny coverage; only that under normal conditions you would almost certainly remain within the car's rated towing capacity.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    I pulled a Bayliner Element that weighs 1,590 lbs with my 2013 Subaru Outback. It struggled. It is fine for short distances on flat terrain at 55 mph. But the acceleration and braking capacity is just not there. Don't do it. Plan to get a six cylinder Outback or similar SUV. 
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I pull with a 4-cylinder Subaru Outback. Dry weight of MaxS is 1693. My understanding is it needs towing capacity of 2000 and Subaru is 2700.  I have gone to 9000 elev with no problem. That being said I recently removed 12-volt and replaced with 2-6 volt. On last trip (7300 elev), it towed just fine but I could feel the difference. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    RVABuffRVABuff Member Posts: 15
    I pull my 2015 T@B M@X S with a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5L 4-cylinder with no problems.  I have a brake controller installed and have hauled it up and down 11% grades in West Virginia.  Towing capacity on the Outback is 2700 lbs (euro specs are 3,000 lbs with same engine and transmission due to different testing criteria).  Dry weight of the T@B is 1670 lbs with a GVWR of 2800 lbs.  I don't agree with the previous posts that you need the 6-cylinder and most certainly don't agree that the 6-cylinder would provide better braking capacity.  The trailer electric brakes are stopping the trailer and the 6-cylinder has the same brakes as the 4-cylinder anyway.  Of course the 6-cylinder would have better acceleration, but that is not an issue for me.   
    2015 T@B M@X-S, 2017 Ford F150 2.7L V6 Turbo
    Chesterfield, VA
  • Options
    tabtravelertabtraveler Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your answers and comments.
    Its very helpful. 
  • Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    I checked with my Subaru dealer, and have been towing my 2007 for 10 months now. It does fine, though I do go more slowly up hills, and do notice the drop in gas mileage.
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    captainwingscaptainwings Member Posts: 30
    Aloha, We're towing a 2015 cs-s with a 2015 Subaru Outback Limited  4 cyl. Departed Columbus, Oh. on July 13th and are now in Mountain Home , Id. via Denver, Co.Headed for Waldport, Or. Making between 250-350 miles per day. Average speed approx. 63mph and between 14-15 mpg. Even on the steepest grades we've been abe to maintain 55-60 mph. Cruise control OK on flats but on grades I go back to gas pedal control. At times It feels like we could use more power but so far we've been able to keep up with the traffic and definitely not last in line. We're very pleased with the performance of T@b and the Subaru Orutback, Good Luck
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156

There were several mentions of Tab's dry weight meaning EMPTY.  When we fill it full of stuff, that makes a difference and needs to be considered also and added in.  The more capacity the better and less strain on the TV. 

June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    Yes indeed dry weight is an empty trailer, that is why I listed both the dry weight (unloaded) and the GVWR (max loaded weight and max weight the trailer is rated) in my post.  I see that my very positive experiences towing with a 4-cyl are shared by others.  
    Chesterfield, VA
  • Options
    HamTabHamTab Member Posts: 11
    This is a very good discussion, thank you! To go off topic a bit ... what brand of brake controller are you Subaru Outback owners using?
  • Options
    HamTaab, I am currently using a Pilot Brake Control made by Tekonsha.

Chesterfield, VA
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
    No problem towing my t@b with our 2016 Subaru six cylinder.  In fact, I bought thw Subaru last August with the full intent of using it with my t@b.  They look perfect together, too!
  • Options
    keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    What brand of brake controller are you Subaru Outback owners using?
    @HamTab, I'm using the Hopkins Insight controller; I was able to mount the tiny display and controller inside the compartment in my center console and hide the rest of the unit up inside the dash. No knee knocker for me!
  • Options
    duncanmarladuncanmarla Member Posts: 12
    We have a 6cyl Outback very pleased with it for towing we are using the prodigy RF brake controller. On our maiden voyage the charge line was not working and I only had the car brake, they worked OK, stopping distance was a bit longer. We resolved the issue and I'm happy to have brakes again (as well as juice to my battery which I'm sure I killed, but I digress).
    The 4cyl will probably be fine (I see the TC for the 2017 6cyl is same as 4cyl 2700lbs).
    2016 Subie Outback V6. S Max. 
  • Options
    Thought I should add this to the discussion.  Just proof that Subaru Outbacks with the 4 cylinder may not be the fastest on the road, they do have some redeeming qualities.  
    Chesterfield, VA
  • Options
    HamTabHamTab Member Posts: 11
    Back to Keithp: are you refering to Hopkins InSIGHT Flex-Mount Brake Control (47297)? Their website shows what it looks like near the kick plate, but not at the console. If possible, could post a photo of what yours looks like at the console?

The Hopkins system seems to make a lot of sense but yet the majority of the reviews mention Tekonsha (still not sure about P2 vs P3) and this seems to be the only brand available in the RV stores. Am I missing something?

• Options
    No prob!  Subaru is not exactly the fastest vehicle on the road, but I beat the semi trucks!
  • Options
    rdstrain49rdstrain49 Member Posts: 3
    I know I'm a bit late to the party but.  We are Subaru crazy.  Neither the wife nor I would consider any other car.  Before you tow with a 4 Cyl Subaru anything (any model) read the owners manual.  As of 2015, our latest Outback, the tow capacity of any Subaru 4 Cyl is 0 lbs., ZERO, NOTHING.  If you want to tow with a Subaru, the 6 Cyl is a must.  Don't ask what will happen 'cause I don't know, I never have and never will tow with a "4".    Bottom line is, tow with a 4 Cyl if you wish but don't slam Subaru when something fails, they did, after all, warn you.  As for me, I pull with a Dodge Cummins 2500 and get 22 mpg while doing it.  Best of luck.
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Hmm. According to Subaru,  the 2015 4-cylinder Outback's towing capacity is 2700.  T@b MaxS is 1693 and PV recommends a towing capacity of 2000. Admittedly when both car and tab are full and I'm on a steep incline, my speed drops to 50-55 but otherwise, I hardly know it's back there. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    tabtravelertabtraveler Member Posts: 4
    I have Subaru Outback 
    the manual reads: towing -! 2700 lb 
  • Options
    I concur.  We've now been on eight trips through various terrains including inclines of 7,000 feet. No problem towing with my 4 cylinder 2016 Outback other than bad gas mileage.  Sticking with our Subaru!
  • Options
    R_CUP_A_TabR_CUP_A_Tab Member Posts: 12
    I tow my 2017 T@B S-max with a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5L Premium. So far we've been on 8 trips covering around 3000 miles in the northwest and I agree that the 4cyl does get the job done....but. I tow between 60 and 65 mph and get 12 to 15 mpg depending on wind and terrain. Handling is excellent but there is very little reserve power and don't ever try to pass on a 2-way road unless you have at least 1/2-mile clear visibility. On hills I generally use the manual shift mode and try to keep the RPM under 3000-3500. Even though it has it's limitations, we love the outback overall. See the attached photo of us fully loaded with canoe and tandem bike. FYI, I'm using a Curt hitch and a Yakima HalfBack2 hatch-mounted bike rack for the tandem which works great as long as you keep the hatch closed.

2017 T@B S Max; 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5L; Curt Hitch
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    We traded our 2015 Outback 4cyl for something sturdier. While the Outback tow weight is 2700 pounds, the tongue weight is only 200 pounds, an important piece of the puzzle. While it can be done, we chose to go the safer route as we are on the west coast and have lots of mountain passes to travel to get places. Good luck with your decision.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    edited January 2017
    Forgot to add that I asked the dealer about adding a 2"/7pin hitch and wiring setup and they would only install the smaller one with 4 pin. They refused to install one compatible with the T@B. Uhaul probably would have done it, but we passed on it.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thumbs up to Subaru.  We love them.
    FYI: I attended the annual San Francisco car show in November and spoke with a Subaru rep.  She told me that Subaru may be coming out with a bigger, more powerful, vehicle.  With any luck t@b and Subaru will both step it up just a notch!
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    @Homebodyatheart  I'm pulling mine with a 2010 4 Cyl Forester.  I won't be attempting mountains with it.  However, the older Subaru's have a different engine than the new ones.  I am planning on upgrading the tow vehicle to a Honda Ridgeline at some point.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!