Options

Help with electrical problem

On a 3500 mile trip all has been well until now, 5 hours from home and I cannot figure it out. We hooked up to 30 amp campground electric. All outlets work, but not fan, frig or lights. I have checked all fuses and they are good. Have unplugged and rep lugged. What the heck is going on? And I think the battery has been bad the whole trip, it has not charged while driving. Battery could be bad.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Kates, check the fuse that is at the battery--it could be blown.  And, you could have a blown fuse at the tow vehicle battery on the charging wire. If you have a volt/ohm meter you could check for voltage at the ends of these wires to verify if the fuses are good or not.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Kates_MobyKates_Moby Member Posts: 38
    Thanks, I do have one and will check it at first light. But, I am plugged in, should that affect my fan, lights, etc.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If one of your 12V fuses is blown, then, yes, it will affect the 12V fans, lights, etc.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Ok I have taken the battery out and checked under the tab, where the heck is the battery fuse? I checked the manuals also. Cannot find it. HELP! THANKS!
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    The fuse should be located in line next to the battery and will look something like this, except it will have a blade fuse in it.  Lifting the cover on this holder should reveal the fuse.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I definitely do not have one on the battery wire. I do have a fuse labeled "battery" in the converter. And the fuse is good. I am having the battery checked tomorrow
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2014
    If it were me, I would do the following:  

1.  Check the fuse on your vehicle battery in the engine compartment to ensure that it is not blown.
    2.  Check the wiring from the vehicle battery and back to the female receptacle plug at the rear of your vehicle.
    3.  Work from there that point and back to the trailer.  Many of these issues are a result of a bad or defective ground wires. 
    4. Check the battery wiring  and ensure that:
    A.   Red (+) wire is on the positive side of the battery
    B.   Black (-) wire is on the negative side of the battery. 
    C.   Test the voltage at the battery  
    4.  Use a 12 volt DC LED meter (preferably one with a cigarette lighter style plug) and check the trailer voltage inside the trailer or at the galley 12 volt plug receptacle if you have a galley on your 2007 T@B.  
      A. Unhook the trailer harness from your tow vehicle - check/record trailer voltage.
    B. Plug trailer harness back into vehicle and start vehicle - check/record trailer voltage.

Note:  You should see a significant rise in the voltage reading when your vehicle is running (e.g., approximately 13.5 volts DC) and this would indicate that the tow vehicle is providing a charge to the trailer battery.  

Questions I would have for you are as follows:

1.  How old is the battery in your 2007 T@B unit?  If it is the original battery it's probably time to change it out - Try a different 12 volt DC battery and hook it up to your trailer, clean the terminals good and get some terminal grease from your auto parts store and apply some to the battery lugs so that you have a good connection.  TEST the old battery cells - a place like AutoZone will test the battery for you for free.    
    2.  But it could also be that your electric converter is bad and the fact that the outlets are hot doesn't necessarily mean it's good either.  If the converter isn't providing an adequate 12 volt charge or is less than 11 volts, your battery is going to eventually die.  
    3.  Try charging the battery up for a few days, hook it back into the trailer and monitor and record the voltage.  DO NOT run the refrigerator and eliminate the other appliances that could drain the battery.  

Check the Converter

To determine that the electric converter is the problem start from the beginning, and where the 110 volt AC supply enters the trailer power converter as follows:

1.  With the trailer electric converter connected to shore power (120 V outlet), check the voltage at the point it enters the converter. It should read approximately 108 to 130 volts AC. This is a an acceptable reading.  

2.  Next, check the voltage where it connects to the 12 volt DC breaker box. It should read approximately 11-13 volts DC to operate satisfactorily. Anything less indicates a bad power converter.

Note:  If you are running the refrigerator (via the 12 volt DC system) between camp sites and home and your tow vehicle is not adequately charging the battery via the alternator, or because you have no dedicated feed wire back to the trailer, this would drain the battery quickly, especially if it is an older battery.   The electric converter is basically a trickle charger and floats the battery charge, provides 12 volts DC to the trailer lighting and accessories.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I have started your list.
  • Options
    So, I started the list. I got it. It was the fuse on the battery wire. Do you know how many times I looked for that damn fuse on the battery on the tab? So, if anyone else s as blonde as I am and didn't figure it out. The fuse is on the battery wire on the tow vehicle. Sometimes I have to laugh at myself.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Glad you found the problem.  In addition to the fuse on the tow vehicle, MOST will also have a fuse in line close to the T@B battery as mentioned above.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    No problem Kate, that's how we learn....  And you probably helped someone else out there down the line solving your own problem.   That's what it's all about and very happy that you resolved your issue.

• Options
    TabyDDTabyDD Member Posts: 52
    Michigan_Mike
    Will you marry me?  ;)
    Seattle, Wa
  • Options
    Is the trailer paid off Kate???   :D