Options

Anyone pull a TAB S MAX with a subaru outback 4 cylinder

I am looking at buying a TAB S Max and there is differing opinions on the internet on whether a Subaru outback 2.5 4 cylinder can handle this trailer.  Live in Wisconsin.  Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2015
    It would depend on the towing capacity of the Outback. 

The Forester tow capacity was lowered in 2014, from 2400 lbs to 1600 lbs. I don't know what the Outback is. What year?

The Tab weighs @ 1600 lbs dry, so it'd probably be 2000, or more, loaded. 

Pulling something that close to vehicle tow capacity is taking a chance.

Keep in mind that you have to be able to stop the trailer, and be able to maneuver in an emergency, as well as simply pulling the trailer.

We were going to go with an earlier Forester with the 2500 capacity, but finally ended up with a Tacoma with a 3800 capacity, and are glad we did.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Puppies57Puppies57 Member Posts: 2
    out back is 2011 with a towing capacity of 2700
  • Options
    taboutabou Member Posts: 28
    Hi! Chan W i'm pulling a t@b clamshell since last year with no ploblem at all 
    We left Quebec last year to Myrtle beach with a really good mileage  . But if you expect to go in the Rockies it's could be a problem 
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I would make sure to have a transmission cooler installed, particularly the CVT transmission.
  • Options
    You could also look at the GCWR figure (gross vehicle and trailer 'combined weight' rating) for the Outback, should be in the specifications. 

As far as power to pull goes, what is the engine horsepower? Our Tacoma 4-cyl is a little bit smaller than I'd like, at 170HP. Eastern mountains weren't too bad, got down to 50mph once or twice. New Mexico mountains were be a little more struggle, maybe 40-45mph here and there.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ashawashaw Member Posts: 18
    We pull a CS -S with our 2010 Forester, 2400 capacity. We go slow up the mountains here in Utah and our mileage is cut from 26 mpg to about 13.  We can make it and we love our T@B but I wish I had a little higher capacity. So far no problems with the tranny, fingers crossed!
     Ashaw 2015 CS-S Max. 2016 Kia Sorento
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    Has anyone actually weighed their T@B S?  And what's the tongue weight limit on the FOrester? 
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    I think I did weigh it once, when it was very young.

Right from the start it weighed @ 200 pounds more than 'dry weight', which made me think that LG's specificaton 'dry weight' doesn't include some of the accessories we included in ours. For example, we had them add a front window, which turned out to be glass.

I'll have to check it again now that we've 'settled in'.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TabbieannecamperTabbieannecamper Member Posts: 32

We have a 2015 Maxx "S" that we bought in Madison, Wisc. Our TV is a 2012 2.5 Subaru Outback. It is equipped with a 6 speed manual trasmission. We towed our T@bie out to Colorado, Montana, and South Dakota last summer. Had a great trip and the T@b towed very well. Our camper is equipped with electric brakes that work very well. Happy camping.

Gary

• Options
    ironshadowironshadow Member Posts: 48

I pulled our new 2015 T@B CS-S back from Austin TX in June with our 2014 Subaru OB. 2.5. (1000 miles) It handled it extremely well. But did make it work a bit on the last 300 miles when I got into a pretty strong head wind. It has a CVT tranny. But does have a 6 speed selector. So I locked it into 5th. and was able to maintain about 65mph. Ambient temp was in the high eighties. I stopped a few time and took a temp reading on the tranny during the trip. Came in right at about 185°-190°.  MPG was about 14.

This weekend I am off to a bluegrass festival in MN.  About 4 1/2 hours from home. No services on sight. So the fresh water in full. The fridge and coolers are full. Plus plenty of other gear. So I will be hitched up to my Chevy pick-up for this one. Plus there will be no touring around. I will park my pickup tomorrow at noon when I arrive and it won't turn a wheel till Sunday night:)

• Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67

I pulled our new 2015 T@B CS-S back from Austin TX in June with our 2014 Subaru OB. 2.5. (1000 miles) It handled it extremely well. But did make it work a bit on the last 300 miles when I got into a pretty strong head wind. It has a CVT tranny. But does have a 6 speed selector. So I locked it into 5th. and was able to maintain about 65mph. Ambient temp was in the high eighties. I stopped a few time and took a temp reading on the tranny during the trip. Came in right at about 185°-190°.  MPG was about 14.

This weekend I am off to a bluegrass festival in MN.  About 4 1/2 hours from home. No services on sight. So the fresh water in full. The fridge and coolers are full. Plus plenty of other gear. So I will be hitched up to my Chevy pick-up for this one. Plus there will be no touring around. I will park my pickup tomorrow at noon when I arrive and it won't turn a wheel till Sunday night:)

Sounds like a fun adventure!!  Have a great time.
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I've pulled my T@B S Max to the Smoky Mountains and back with my 2012 Subaru Forester with the 2.5L engine and 2400 pound weight limit, however with a manual transmission.   The dry weight limit quoted by the factory does not include a full propane tank or battery.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    edited August 2015
    Yes! I researched and determined you need 2000 towing capacity. My Subaru Outback has 2700 and it pulls the T&b like a dream.

Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    I'm going to be a newbie in about 4 weeks when my new T@B will be delivered.  I have an 05 Subaru Outback 2.5XT (automatic turbo 250hp with the Sportshift, which allows you to shift to manual).  Towing capacity is 2,700 lbs.  I'm so glad to hear others are happy with the towing ability of their Outbacks.  I'm assuming that a transmission cooler is a must.  I'm so excited to start this new adventure. 

What an awesome forum.

I also see one of you has a Bulldog.  I will be travelling with Ester and Kohl my 2 Bulldogs. 
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    That might be me! Rigby loves being in my T@b and needs the air conditioning badly.  Your pups will love yours, I bet. Easy to get in and out, too.
    2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    Yes!!!  They love to travel and the air conditioning is a must with our "kids".  I'm in Seattle so our temps are typically mid 70's when it's not raining, except this summer, it's been hot and sunny. 
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    I'm towing with a 2011 Outback with the 6-cylinder, and no transmission cooler. So far no problems and I almost always have the a/c on.
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    WVWandererWVWanderer Member Posts: 12
    One of the reasons why I haven't purchased a T@b yet is that I need a TV.  My Ford Focus just won't do it...lol.  Anyways, I stopped by a Subaru dealership today to look at the Outbacks.  As I have my concerns about the 4 cylinder, the sales guy took me to talk to a mechanic tows.  So my first question was 4 or 6 cylinder.  As you can imagine, he said the 4 cylinder could and can do it.  However, he recommended the 6 cylinder especially since I love western Montana, etc.  My second question was about the transmission cooler on the Outback.  He explained the CVT transmission does not need an additional transmission cooler as it doesn't really shift. 

Now all I need to do is time the ordering of my Outback 3.6 with the T@b!  Yay

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited & soon to be Outback
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • Options
    keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    My old TV (Honda minivan) transmission died just before a trip to the grand canyon; I've got a 2016 6-cyl outback on order now, hadn't even heard that you could get an additional transmission cooler. The T@b is sitting sadly in the driveway until the new TV arrives. I towed with a borrowed 4-cyl ford pickup and that really struggled on hills, so I didn't even consider a 4-cyl outback. Looking "forward" to squeezing plenty of dinosaurs on hills in the future.
  • Options
    jcanderson330jcanderson330 Member Posts: 12
    Just bought T@B MAX S and plan to tow with a Subaru Outback 4cl.  I'm not too worried about the weight, but I am worried about the tongue weight.  OB is rated at 200 lb and I am real close to that now dry.  I want to move the tire to the tongue.  Should I be worried?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Just bought T@B MAX S and plan to tow with a Subaru Outback 4cl.  I'm not too worried about the weight, but I am worried about the tongue weight.  OB is rated at 200 lb and I am real close to that now dry.  I want to move the tire to the tongue.  Should I be worried?

Yes, because tongue weight includes all additional weight behind the axle. Your gross weight for your vehicle includes all weight inside, including driver and passenger(s) and anything not stock to the vehicle. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We have a 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 and have a 2017 Tab Outback. We live in Washington State. We towed over Snoqualmi Pass two weeks ago, I kept the freeway speeds at 60 mph, and climbed the pass at 55 mph. I had the power to go faster but was attempting to keep rpm down and get the best fuel economy we could. At the end of the trip 600 miles round trip, no problems. We averaged 18.8 mpg. My biggest concern has been hitch weight car is still rated at 2700 max tow weight 200 hitch weight. I noticed when the weekend was over we had a full black water tank and 1/2 full grey water. Car suspension seemed down a bit more. I stoped and dumped grey and black, and the rear suspension seemed back to normal. I plan to check my hitch weight with full tanks, and empty. Very interested to know what the difference is.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    Verna and BirdieJane....  Thanks for your input.  We love the Outback and don't want to part with it if at all possible. We plan to travel as light, at least to start with, to see how the Outback handles the load and keep the tongue weight close to 200.  We will be putting the spare on the tongue and compensate for the move by load distribution within the T@B when we travel.   Based on other threads about towing with a 4 cyl. Outback,  and how we plan to travel, I think we'll be okay as long as we pay attention to the details.   We are in Ohio during the summer, but will travel to and from AZ for the winter with the T@B, taking our time to explore along the way.  We are looking forward to this new adventure.
  • Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    This is anecdotal evidence so take it as such--lots of people tow T@Bs with Subaru Outbacks. Our T@B's tow vehicle, a 2012 3.6 6-cylinder Outback with 50,000 miles just blew a transmission (still under drivetrain warranty by a hair--whew!). Have always driven moderately and felt the Outback did a fine job--until the transmission went, of course. May very well be a fluke but we're getting a vehicle with more power.
    Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • Options
    Hans111...  Does your Outback have the CVT?