Options

Motorized Trailer Dolly

marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

I started this on another thread but thought maybe it would be better asked as a new one. My situation is such that a motorized dolly is the best alternative. I have a HF dolly but can't manage it up the slope with the incline. I'm not overly impressed with the hand crank style.

My new house has the driveway accessible from an alley behind the house. I can manage the 30 or so feet of car width and a half alley to my house, but the driveway takes an abrupt 90 degree right turn with fences close on each side. I can get it turned about half way but then I have no more maneuverability of my big, long truck to make the rest.

My research shows only a couple of options under the $1000+ range and the forum has a few references to motorized dollys with no one offering a particular preference. I was wondering if anyone uses one and how well it works.

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This has been discussed more, I think in the FB groups. A couple there, for sure, have gone with a motorized trailer dolly solution,

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I might have to break down and join that group to see the recommendations, but I try to stay away from FB. Too easy to get lost with my ADD. :)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/19345#Comment_19345

@Mouseketab has the purple line (check the link for the exact name and link under her post). It's the neatest remote control moving system for her T@B. Expensive....sure, but....you only have one back. 

For more reviews do a simple search of valet on the forum and there are many who do use the different valet systems. They may not still frequent here daily, but try tagging them to see if they come back to answer you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    Safari Condo offers one on their Alto model. Check out their website, I am sure it has brand and model#. The Alto is the same weight as a T@B.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @marknjudy , Verna's right-@Mouseketab has an Enduro, you can search on that. And google it for a video of the Enduro in action.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Thanks everyone. You've given mecsome good research material. And you're right, Verna. Only one back'
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    edited May 2017
    Another option is to make a "friction drive" for the HF dolly with a battery powered drill motor. There are a lot of examples on YouTube.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @marknjudy I use the power caster P2 and it works great. I couldn't get it into the small space with tight turns without destroying the Tab or the house.

I purchased this one used for $400 Then purchased an attachment for the trailer and a brake. so I probably have $550 in it. I wasn't using correctly in this shot. I doesn't connect to the ball hitch it connects to the jack stand. That is why I purchased the adapter and permanently attached it to the frame of the Tab. That way you can jack it up and drop the adapter into the dolly and away you go. At about one foot per minute and that might be over stating the speed. 

I actually like the design of the P3 better.

http://powercaster.com/Products.html

Here is a site where people sell their used power casters and the availability will very...when I was looking there were a half dozen or so for sell and that was only a few months ago.

http://pub1.bravenet.com/classified/show.php?usernum=64719776
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.