Options

Rain coming in CoolCat grill

BackroadsBettyBackroadsBetty Member Posts: 10
I have a 2007 T@B with a CoolCat heat pump mounted in a cabinet at floor level.  The unit has a large screened vent on the outside of the trailer.  I recently had to tow through about 300 miles of heavy traffic (lots of semi's) and hard rain.  When I stopped for the night, the T@B had a wet floor from water splashing into the vent opening.  Is there any sort of cover for the vent that would stay put at highway speed?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Betty, what size is the vent? Round or square or rectangular? 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Vent grate is 24" wide and 16 3/8" high - rectangular.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Betty, I know that Pleasant Valley makes a rectangular cover that snaps on, that is for air conditioner vents. If you call Pleasant Valley (the factory), Mon-Fri, 5:30 am to 3:30 pm and ask the office what the dimensions of their A/C cover is. Maybe it would fit your vent, and if not, maybe they could get one made to your dimensions. I "think" the A/C cover was rather inexpensive.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Another option may be to cut a piece of fibrous furnace filter material to fit behind the vent cover. Would allow air to flow but I would think it'd probably block the road spray.
  • Options
    Thanks.  I'll check with Pleasant Valley.  Not sure the extra layer of furnace filter would have helped in this case.  Apparently, the best bet would have been to stay in camp another day!
  • Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    I fit a piece of plexiglass in mine, screwed onto bolts that have the heads holding them to the screen. There are instructions in the Yahoo forum files. 
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    Sounds like a plan.  I think I can manage it without instructions, but how do I find the Yahoo forum file?  I "searched" the T@B forum file with no luck.  Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Full credit goes to Sandra Rutan, who walked me through it. The best tip she gave me was to use the smallest possible bit to avoid cracking the plexiglass.

put a washer on the bolt and finagle the head and washer through the screen, then add another washer and nut to hold it there (in each of the four corners). Hold up the plexiglass and mark where the holes need to be. Use wingnuts on the outside so it's easy to install and remove.

Here are Sandra's pictures.

• Options
    Thanks to both of you.  Very clear instructions.  I will certainly give it a try.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I haven't tried this mod yet, but may give it a try.  I already have the Plexiglas cut to size and tape it over the opening when in storage to keep out insects.  I think I will use rubber washers against the Plexiglas in case I accidently over-tighten to help prevent cracking it.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I have the fabric cover that fastens with dome fasteners and use it when travelling (and when not using the AC). It stays in place, so far, without any issue. It folds up and stows away easily. 
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Sandra, I'm pretty sure I understand this process.  Great job.  When you secure the bolts to the screen, they obviously protrude outward the thickness of the washer and bolt.  So, when you install the Plexiglas, does it still mount flush with the frame, or do the washer and nut cause it to leave a gap between the Plexiglas and frame?

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Just did another inspection of my screen.  Instead of being recessed like in the above photo, mine protrudes outward by about the same amount.  This means doing the above procedure would leave a substantial gap between the Plexiglas and the screen.  Since my primary reason for installing the panel was to keep out insects during storage, I will need to figure out another solution.  I'm thinking there may be some kind of pivoting clips I can install on the sides, top and bottom, and just twist them away to remove the panel.  I will do a search next time I'm at Lowe's or Home Depot.  In the meantime, I'll keep it secured with electrical tape.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    New solution:  I have ordered a roll of white industrial strength Velcro.  This should hold the Plexiglas panel in place for a relatively long time and will keep both bugs and water out.  If the Velcro starts to degrade, it can be easily replaced.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    edited January 2015
    I was wondering if twist studs and matching eyelets using a marine type weatherproof fabric would work.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    mawebb said:
    I was wondering if twist studs and matching eyelets using a marine type weatherproof fabric would work.
    As I mentioned in a previous post, the weatherproof fabric cover from T@B which is fastened with dome fasteners works well at highway speed, although the twist studs might provide more peace of mind when you are driving.  The fabric also keeps out insects.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Someone in our group had hinged a door panel on and installed a switch so the Cool Cat would not turn on if the door was closed. The simple plexiglass is more within my capabilities, but his solution was very nice.
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    We also use the plexiglass cover.  I was afraid of turning on the Cool Cat with the cover in place, so I have a sticker I place on the thermostat as a reminder.

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    RZRBUG said:
    New solution:  I have ordered a roll of white industrial strength Velcro.  This should hold the Plexiglas panel in place for a relatively long time and will keep both bugs and water out.  If the Velcro starts to degrade, it can be easily replaced.

I don't know how long this stuff will last, but when they say "industrial strength," they mean it.  After getting this installed, I had to be careful not to crack the Plexiglas trying to pull if off.  I ordered two inch strips, but ended up cutting it down the middle to make one inch strips because there is not a lot of solid metal on the edges to glue it to, and one inch is plenty.  I really believe this will keep out both the rain and the bugs, and I don't believe there will be any danger of it coming off going down the highway.  As Sandra said, it will store nicely under the seat cushion (sticky/loop side next to the wood so it won't stick to the cushion).  I just have to rig some kind of reminder to take it off before turning on the A/C.

Speaking of reminders:  I have installed a small dry eraser board next to the door on which I can write reminders, or camp information where I'm staying in case I need it quickly in an emergency.  Sort of a string around the finger for this old brain.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map