Options

Size of mattress topper?

I see that several folks here have ordered a mattress topper from Mattressinsider.com. The custom 2" Brookside Memory Foam Topper w/Organic Cotton and have been very happy with their purchase. I would like to ask if I may, what size did you order for a (2) Person sleeping Topper? I will be getting a new Tab in a couple of months and am trying to get things that we will need for it in advance. Thank you for any information. Debbie D. 

Comments

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Wish I could help. I order mine for sleeping wheel-to-wheel. (twin size)  As you've said, it is a great mattress topper.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited April 2017
    @denber42, what t@b are you getting? A t@b s, a clamshell? For others to help you, they have to know which type of t@b as they have different size sleeping areas and which way you plan to sleep, wheel to wheel, twin style, twin style bench alignment, etc. Full mattress etc. Many variations, unless you specify, size to purchase can't be determined.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    denber42denber42 Member Posts: 6
    Hi dragonsdofly thank you for your questions. Sorry I was not more specific. It will be a 2018 320 U floor plan. Planing on sleeping (2) ppl. Would like to get the largest size topper that will fit. Again, thank you. 
    Debbie D. 
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @denber42, According to the specs for the T@B 320 U on the nuCamp site, the bed size is 70" X 73". Hope that helps you.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    roguebooksroguebooks Member Posts: 31
    May be a dumb question but how large is the bed with just the back rest put down and the one seat cushion (and leaving the dinette table up and pushed to the side)? It looks perfect for one, but quite doubtful for two unless one of us was stacked on top of the other. 
    Mike
    Home in Florida/Cabin in Michigan
    Tow Vehicle: Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited August 2017
    With just the back bench down, no slats or table to configure a full bed size, our 320 Outback Max S is 42" wide, tight for two. We sleep in either the full bed configuration with slats, wheel to wheel, OR the twin configuration, front to back.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Twojgrams said:
    With just the back bench down, no slats or table to configure a full bed size, our 320 Outback Max S is 42" wide, tight for two. We sleep in either the full bed configuration with slats, wheel to wheel, OR the twin configuration, front to back.
    In the twin configuration front to back is the table down? If not, I am curious how wide the cushion is for the twin? And thank you. I also assume the 320 Outback Max S is the same as the website's 320 Outback S? Or is there something that makes it a Max that I am missing?
    Mike
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I sleep wheel to wheel in my 2018 Max S, and I use this topper which I cut about 5" off the length to make it 70x39.  It fits really well, and I'm very happy with it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IY6HNDS/

An apartment I had years ago in Dublin had a loft twin bed (we call it a "single") that you climbed up via a ladder.  Believe it or not, my boyfriend and I didn't mind it much and found it relatively comfortable (of course, I met him after I had the apartment for a while or I likely wouldn't have gotten one with that size bed!).  The point to that was to say that I think two adult people can fit in a twin bed fairly easily.

However... after being in my T@B for a while now, I'd say the wheel-to-wheel twin size set up may not work overly well for two.  I say this because when you drop the backrest of the seat down to make the bed, nearly half of the twin-size bed is under the cabinets across the back. The first few days in my T@B I gave myself a whack on the head occasionally sitting up before I've found myself gravitating a bit more to the side of the bed not under the overhang.  

I'd say you could probably manage pretty well for a weekend, but if you are going longer than that, you may want to think of a different set up for two people :(

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    Thanks. Helpful.
    Mike
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    denber42 said:
    I see that several folks here have ordered a mattress topper from Mattressinsider.com. The custom 2" Brookside Memory Foam Topper w/Organic Cotton and have been very happy with their purchase. I would like to ask if I may, what size did you order for a (2) Person sleeping Topper? I will be getting a new Tab in a couple of months and am trying to get things that we will need for it in advance. Thank you for any information. Debbie D. 
    I ordered a custom sized 70 x 73 inches.

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    @roguebooks, "In the twin configuration front to back is the table down? If not, I am curious how wide the cushion is for the twin? And thank you. I also assume the 320 Outback Max S is the same as the website's 320 Outback S? Or is there something that makes it a Max that I am missing?"

Can't find the brochure for our 2015 S Max Outback to articulate the differences between plain S and S Maxx, so I'm really happy you're working with a rep close to the factory according to your other thread. I'm pretty sure all the differences are obsolete now.

They'll be better at explaining dimensions of the configurations too! When I said twin configuration, I refer to the side benches 22" wide plus the back bench down, creating a twin bed 22"x72". Keep with the expert, I'll only confuse the both of us!

• Options
    The sales rep confirmed what I thought you meant Twojgrams. He didn't measure but knew the twins were slim and 22" sounds right to me by the floor plan. But he thinks we need the LG MAX and is going to do a video tomorrow afternoon of all three models I am interested in so we can compare side by side. I am in Michigan, my wife is in California for two more weeks, the sales rep's site is in Ohio, and we live in Florida. But this rep sounds like what I am looking for in a consultant and on the way home we will be visiting his RV center.
    Mike
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    Very cool. I like it driftless .
    Mike
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    I think I really want a T@B 320-U. Does anybody think not having a bathroom is a mistake? We don't mind the portable potty and I like not having a black water tank and the added weight. And as long as we have an outdoor shower we are good to go. I probably should have made this comment in my "what teardrop to buy?" thread, but this bed thing segued itself into another important issue. Sorry. Please forgive.  
    Mike
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @roguebooks
    The two of us spent 700 nights in a T@B-CS (without shower) using the portable potty and did just fine.  As far as the bed, since we were living in it for months on end, we opted for a custom made mattress and kept the bed in place at all times. For the occasions that we did want to eat indoors, we could set up a small folding table we kept under the bed and sit on the edge of the bed. Worked quite nicely.
    Good luck with your discernment.
    Happy trails!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    DancingOtterDancingOtter Member Posts: 3
    Hi All, This is my first post and first RV'ing experience. I have just recently bought a 2017 T@B Outback with a bathroom floor plan. Not sure the name of the floor plan. Anyway how do I determine the size mattress pad? I will be sleeping with my fiance in it. I have no idea if we will sleep wheel to wheel or the other way. Suggestions? 
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    @DancingOtter your T@B (if it is not the clamshell version) is set up so that you can make the bed into a 70"x73" area, which is larger than a Queen but not quite a King.  To make the large bed, you may have the bed slat version - so slats are included in your T@B and they will be placed in the area between the benches.  The cushions drop down to make the large sleeping area.  If yours was manufactured before bed slats (I think they made the change sometime in 2017), your large table will drop down to cover the space and the cushions will go on top of that.  You can likely find some YouTube clips of this, too.

Most important though - if you haven't slept in your T@B yet, I'd advise you not to buy anything yet, but take either some bedding (blankets etc) or sleeping bags and see what you think on your first trip (or test it out in your driveway one night).  The cushions are relatively comfortable on their own, and you may not want to buy anything extra.  

If you search the forums, you'll find a lot of different ways people have done up the sleeping area to suit their particular style.  A lot of solo travelers (like me) like to keep the back bench in the down position as a permanent twin bed, leaving the two seating areas to the side available all the time.  However, a lot of other travelers just make the entire area into a bed each night like it was designed to do and have a luxurious large bed! And some couples form two narrow twin beds running separately along the sides.  And many permutations and modifications in between!  Like just about every mod mentioned here in the forum, I'd wait investing money into it and go try it out as normal a few times first to see what suits you best.

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    @HR_Taly and @DancingOtter -good advice! We don't use any toppers and sleep very well, well, when we don't have to fight the dogs for the sleeping bags.

• Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    @roguebooks, we have a 2014 Q.  It is the L kitchen area and the U bed.  My point is that we have no wetbath and have never missed it.  We don't mind vault, pit, or public toilets. Although we have the outside shower, we have never used it since we usually camp in National Forests or state or National Parks.  However, if we ever boondock, we would certainly use the shower and portable potty.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    HR_Taly said:
    @DancingOtter your T@B (if it is not the clamshell version) is set up so that you can make the bed into a 70"x73" area, which is larger than a Queen but not quite a King.  To make the large bed, you may have the bed slat version - so slats are included in your T@B and they will be placed in the area between the benches.  The cushions drop down to make the large sleeping area.  If yours was manufactured before bed slats (I think they made the change sometime in 2017), your large table will drop down to cover the space and the cushions will go on top of that.  You can likely find some YouTube clips of this, too.

Most important though - if you haven't slept in your T@B yet, I'd advise you not to buy anything yet, but take either some bedding (blankets etc) or sleeping bags and see what you think on your first trip (or test it out in your driveway one night).  The cushions are relatively comfortable on their own, and you may not want to buy anything extra.  

If you search the forums, you'll find a lot of different ways people have done up the sleeping area to suit their particular style.  A lot of solo travelers (like me) like to keep the back bench in the down position as a permanent twin bed, leaving the two seating areas to the side available all the time.  However, a lot of other travelers just make the entire area into a bed each night like it was designed to do and have a luxurious large bed! And some couples form two narrow twin beds running separately along the sides.  And many permutations and modifications in between!  Like just about every mod mentioned here in the forum, I'd wait investing money into it and go try it out as normal a few times first to see what suits you best.
    HR_Taly Thank you very much for the time you took in replying to this and providing this explanation! I have a 2017 Outback. So it does have the wooden slabs. Good to know on the different kinds of sleeping arrangements one can configure in the RV. I will take your advice then and just take some blankets and see how it goes. Good to know on the specific dimensions as well if I wanted any custom made topper. 
  • Options
    Twojgrams said:
    @HR_Taly and @DancingOtter -good advice! We don't use any toppers and sleep very well, well, when we don't have to fight the dogs for the sleeping bags.
    @Twojgrams thanks for the feedback as well with how it feels to sleep without adding toppers. 
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Mattress topper was the best thing we did. We went to the Orginal Mattress Factory and had one made to the size desired for $115. Sleeps just as good as our bed at home. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123
    We ordered two 3-inch twin size memory foam toppers from Amazon and then I did some trimming to make them fit. However, it was still not soft enough for me, so I ordered another twin size (4 inch) for my side and am now comfortable. We tuck the bedding around the topper so that we can fold up the topper and bedding when we want seating.

Gail & John 

• Options
    edahle0618edahle0618 Member Posts: 13
    We bought  king size 2” memory foam cover from Walmart at under $100. Our bed setup is wheel to wheel.