Options

Intervals for emptying holding tanks

I am a brand newbie to this forum and RV ownership.  I hate to talk dirty right off the bat...but my question is with the 8 gallon black tank that comes with the T@B.  There are two of us traveling and we will be taking a 5 - 6 week trip and I need some advise about how often the tank needs to be drained...just a ballpark.  I need to be sure and plan our stop sites so there is a sewer connection when this needs to be done.  Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Welcome @TikiBarTab! A lot of us were new and novices like you! I was terrified of tank dumping till a friend talked me through my first one. Easy! I dump at the end of each campout, so for you, when you leave for the next spot. The other indicator would be your holding capacity which you can check on the Seelevel monitor. You can also hold the flush lever open and look down into the tank with a flashlight. Dumping more frequently will also give you less weight to tow. Someone on this forum highly recommended Happy Campers enzyme powder for tank treatment, and I love it! I use it in both tanks after each dump with some water included to start the cleaning process all over. It is scent free, a biggie for me, and simple, and compact. Some people make their own mixes and those work, too. You'll figure it out! Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I am a brand newbie to this forum and RV ownership.  I hate to talk dirty right off the bat...but my question is with the 8 gallon black tank that comes with the T@B.  There are two of us traveling and we will be taking a 5 - 6 week trip and I need some advise about how often the tank needs to be drained...just a ballpark.  I need to be sure and plan our stop sites so there is a sewer connection when this needs to be done.  Thanks in advance for the help!
    Good information above by Homebodyatheart!  This is a process that you do get better at with each episode and I would also add that the hoses and fittings should also be periodically inspected for any wear or damage and to avoid any unpleasant events down the road.  Trust me on that one!   =)

Good point to dump when leaving a camping area with a dump facility, add new chemical after dumping and when adding any powder style chemical, add in a little water into the stool area, open up the packet outdoors and be very careful when dumping it into the stool to avoid any dust or breathing in the dust, etc.  I always add in some water to the stool area by slowly pushing down on the flush handle and allowing some water to accumulate in the stool.  Otherwise you will just flush the stool prior to adding water in if you press the flush handle down too far.  You will get the drift if you try this out!

Sequence is:

Empty black water tank first

Gray water last, as this will rinse out the hose and contents from black water dump some. 

Follow up by rinsing area around dump station where waste is dumped with facility hose and as a courtesy to those who will use the facility after you leave.  

I do leave some water in my fresh water tank during travel so that we can use the toilet when we stop in rest areas and this eliminates having to use the public rest rooms.  

Also, if you have an annual state parks pass in your state this will allow you free entry into any park and you can dump your tanks at a nearby SP before you arrive home should you not want to have waste or fluids in your black/gray tanks.  

Here is a helpful video....

https://youtu.be/x5jMhd6ntGo?t=458
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I figure about 4 days for the two of us with no other facilities to use.  If your camping area has bathrooms then of course you can really stretch it with just nighttime potty breaks filling the black tank  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    My wife and I have been fine for 4 nights, using the T@b Bathroom for abut 80% of our waste.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    TikiBarTabTikiBarTab Member Posts: 39
    Thank you all so much for the advice!  It's so helpful having this forum!  So glad I joined...happy camping to all.  Can't wait to get on the road!