A Battery Discharge Solution when in storage

My new TAB battery was discharging within a couple of weeks when in storage.  I learned that there are (apparently) enough sensors and such running all the time to discharge the battery.  Mine went from 12.5 volts when first parked to 11 a week later and then disconnected.  

My two part solution has worked well for me now:
   1. Add a battery disconnect switch ($7 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IQRMFWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and disconnect each time you park.
    Apparently new TAB's already have a battery disconnect switch so this may be unnecessary for you.

2. Add a $40-$60 5 watt trickle charger while parked.  (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JO0TC/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485546201&sr=sr-1&keywords=Sunforce+50022+5-Watt+Solar+Battery+Trickle+Charger)

I have photos but I don't know how to add them.  LOL   Best wishes.   -Deac
Deac Lancaster
Sunnyvale, CA

Comments

• DeacDeac Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2017
    Aha, here are the photos of the battery disconnect switch and solar trickle charger.
    By disconnecting the switch and connecting the trickle charger the battery maintained 12.5 volts for over a week.  

Then I used the lights and such one day enough to bring it down to 12.3 volts.  The next day the trickle charger had it back up to 12.5 volts.

I'm pleased that I don't have to remove the battery and put on a trickle charger in my home.

-Deac

Deac Lancaster
    Sunnyvale, CA
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    @Deac Are you planning to be at the NorCal rally by any chance? I'd like to do something like this but I can quite picture how you have it all connected.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I have a similar setup. It is a 5w Coleman brand solar trickle charger. It came with the zamp connector so it is truly plug-and-play to the exterior zamp port on the tub (no need for clamps
    on the battery itself).  I have used mine for over 3 years on both my silver shadow and T@B. I have sun 363 days of the year which helps. I don't have a battery cut-off switch. I just remove the inline battery fuse after each trip (presuming battery has charged to full in transit back home to storage), connect solar panel to tub and leave it.  Every time I go to check or head out, battery is at 12.5-12.8.  Pure magic. 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
    Upon closer inspection of the photos, it seems Deac's sunforce solar panel is also connecting straight into the zamp port. And, as I rummage through the fog of my memory, I seem to recall that my Coleman panel was double badged as Sunforce (like Deac's). I got mine at Home Depot's online only store at about $45 now 3 years ago.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I have a similar setup. It is a 5w Coleman brand solar trickle charger. It came with the zamp connector so it is truly plug-and-play to the exterior zamp port on the tub (no need for clamps
    on the battery itself).  I have used mine for over 3 years on both my silver shadow and T@B. I have sun 363 days of the year which helps. I don't have a battery cut-off switch. I just remove the inline battery fuse after each trip (presuming battery has charged to full in transit back home to storage), connect solar panel to tub and leave it.  Every time I go to check or head out, battery is at 12.5-12.8.  Pure magic. 
    Thanks, it's good to know that Coleman can plug directly into the Zamp port.  I was not sure if the polarity was the same.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    rkj__ said:
    Thanks, it's good to know that Coleman can plug directly into the Zamp port.  I was not sure if the polarity was the same.
    Yes, this is my question, too. Is the polarity on the Sunforce the same as Zamp or is an adapter required?
    I'm looking at the 10W version.
    http://sunforceproducts.com/products/approvisionneur-solaire-de-batterie-10-w-12-v/

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    edited August 2017
    Yes, same polarity on my the 5W. Not sure if all their line has the same polarity though...
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited August 2017
    Yes, same polarity on my the 5W. Not sure if all their line has the same polarity though...
    I just tried my 40W Coleman (re-branded Sunforce) solar panel and charge controller, plugged into the Zamp only port.  It worked perfectly.  This makes me happy, as it is very convenient.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    Marceline said:
    rkj__ said:
    Yes, this is my question, too. Is the polarity on the Sunforce the same as Zamp or is an adapter required?
    I'm looking at the 10W version.
    http://sunforceproducts.com/products/approvisionneur-solaire-de-batterie-10-w-12-v/

Follow up: I bought the 10W Coleman panel and it seems to be keeping a good charge on the battery. I simply plugged it into the Zamp port on the propane cover. I haven't moved the trailer since October and the battery seems to be fully charged. I did pull the fuse, though, so I still don't know if this panel is enough to overcome parasitic drain. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi