Inexpensive Bike Rack

Here is the home made bike rack I came up with for our two mountain bikes when we travel.  Way less weight, way way less money and aside from the obvious drawback, the turning radius restriction, I'm very happy with it.  If you have to get into a tight spot where you need to jackknife the trailer, just take it off.  Undo the fork clamps, remove the back wheel straps and the bikes are off.  For nuts and off comes the rack.  The bikes are always in the rear view mirror so you aren't likely to forget that their there.  A few 2x4's, 4 bolts, two bike axle clamps and you've got it.  Here is the etrailer link for the clamps and a few pics. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Bike-Racks/Hollywood-Racks/HRT970.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjw24nNBRChARIsALldLD0xww7JwMDXh9Fkl966lI7kAij0fhKd1Mvag26V9JwjNBWYnyW0qRMaAgZTEALw_wcB

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Interesting rack, and I like the placement. Having to lift my bike up over my head has never appealed to me! Thanks for sharing!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @newell Nice job.......simple and well thought out.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • newellnewell Member Posts: 182
          Thanks for the kind words.  Just in case you were wondering, there are no holes drilled through the trailer frame.  This just sandwiches the trailer frame between the 2x4's.  The lock nuts shown in the picture were replaced with wing nuts.  I found the lock nuts weren't necessary and required a wrench to remove.  We just finished a trip up in the Adirondacks.  We didn't find any turns that were so tight that the rack became a problem.  

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Cheap and easy, nice work.

Might be a good option for those who don't have a tongue mounted spare tire.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • I was planning on buying a 2" receiver and a steel bracket and weld it under the tub.  Then just use the bike rack I use on the back of the explorer TV.

Any reason this will not work or is unreasonable?
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    tabstel said:
    I was planning on buying a 2" receiver and a steel bracket and weld it under the tub.  Then just use the bike rack I use on the back of the explorer TV.

Any reason this will not work or is unreasonable?
    Just be mindful of the reduction in tongue weight...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    Tongue weight was a big thing for me too.  I lifted the 2 bike rack we use on our other vehicle a Honda CRV and it must have weighed 30 pounds. With out the bikes! That's why I chose the 2x4's.

• KarenNGeorgeKarenNGeorge Member Posts: 6
    Like the idea. Suggest using PLASTIC Lumber. No rot, no painting, lasts longer.
    2014 T@B "S" 
    Bluffton, SC
  • BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Beautiful design. I'd buy a commercial variant if one were available, but I haven't seen the equivalent, so my nonexistent handyman skills are about to be tested once again.

• The bike rack I have carries 2 bikes, goes into a 2" receiver and is about 8 lbs. Seems that might be less/close to the weight of the wood.  Mounting a 2" receiver under the tub would be cleaner, less work to remove carrier, look better IMHO.  Not sure what I am missing.  My only concern would be any impact to the frame, but I know a professional welder.
  • With regards to welding a 2" receiver to the back of the T@B (for bike rack use only), we asked NuCamp to make this install to our T@B Outback during the Rally in Sugarcreek, OH.  NuCamp refused to install for two reasons being: 1) it would void the T@B warranty; 2) the frame components are not thick enough to take the weld necessary to install the 2" receiver and the resulting weakness in the metal near the weld could result in frame failure.  We were disappointed as we would like to use our existing KUAT bike rack (2 & 4 bike) for our carbon bikes.
    2017 T@B Outback, gray and black trim; pulled by a RAM 1500 CrewCab 4X4 with 240 hp Ecodiesel 
  • Good to know! Thanks for the info.
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We built a similar bike rack out of aluminum and it is surprisingly stable and rigid.  (I do like your half pipe rear wheel locators.)  Aluminum cuts easily with a carbide tipped blade on a table, radial arm or circular saw...just be sure to protect eyes and secure loose piece being cut properly.

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    @tabstel - Is 8 lbs sturdy enough to carry two mountain bikes on a 2" hitch? The units I see on etrailer are in the 20-30 lb range.
    The beauty of @newell 's design is the strength contributed by clamping the rails to the A-frame. I bet the bikes don't wobble at all.
    Removing front wheel also makes good sense and minimizes any jackknife/turning issue which is avoided completely with @Vikings storage box mount (if you have a sturdy box).
    A single rail version for solo travelers would be a snap to install.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
    Like the idea. Suggest using PLASTIC Lumber. No rot, no painting, lasts longer.
    I like that idea too.  I'll file that away for the new revised model.  Thank you.

tabstel said:
    The bike rack I have carries 2 bikes, goes into a 2" receiver and is about 8 lbs. Seems that might be less/close to the weight of the wood.  Mounting a 2" receiver under the tub would be cleaner, less work to remove carrier, look better IMHO.  Not sure what I am missing.  My only concern would be any impact to the frame, but I know a professional welder.
         My Yakima 2 bike rack weighs 28 pounds. 

• I need to apologize for the typo, I meant to type 'about 18 lbs'. I will do better and be more accurate in the future as info on this board is invaluable.

To remove all the guessing I looked it up and the Allen Sports 522rr is 21.5 pounds.

Thanks for you understanding.
  • VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Newell...box came from Etrailer...picked one that I thought would have enough room for propane, battery, shore power line, hoses, crank for stabilizers, and other junk, and that would sort of fit shape of trailer tongue frame. 
    This one about $250-300 and required "snubbers" to hold edges of lid down (single latch/lock does not provide enough rigidity to stabilize bikes).
    Lock also prevents opportunists from walking off with battery, etc.
    This added a few pounds but trailer frame/tongue plenty strong enough!   Bottom of box a bit wobbly so it sets on 3 1x2 aluminum sq tube pieces which stiffened it up. 
    Took a few hours (days?) to construct, and some trips to metal supplier but it works well.  
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited