Composting Toilet in a 400

I’m planning to install an Airhead composting toilet in our soon-to-be delivered 400.  Anyone tried it in a 400 yet?  It looks like it will be a tight fit, so I’ll be using Airhead’s “Marine” sized unit.  A Nature’s Head appears to be too large.

This is a fun place to hang out.  But my head is close to exploding with everything I’m learning on this forum.  :o  :)
T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Sounds like you might be a forerunner in this endeavor (and latest addition) and it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.  Take some photos of your set-up and post them up as this topic has come up before and am betting that even the factory would be interested in knowing how this set-up works out for you.  

Thanks!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Sounds like you might be a forerunner in this endeavor (and latest addition) and it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.  Take some photos of your set-up and post them up as this topic has come up before and am betting that even the factory would be interested in knowing how this set-up works out for you.  

Thanks!
    Looks like it will be a tight fit, but should work.  The install is weeks away, but I'll post up photos.
  • travis533travis533 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about doing the exact same thing. Did you take any pics or have any advice from the install? Thanks!!
  • HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    travis533 said:
    I am thinking about doing the exact same thing. Did you take any pics or have any advice from the install? Thanks!!
    Well, here’s where things stand.  We bought our 400 in Mesa, AZ in late October.  We live in Washington State.  Before towing it home, I did a preliminary install so we could pee in it at night as we camped out for the two week trip back to Washington.  I did not have the time or tools to hook up the vent and vent fan.  Some very nice friends let me do the preliminary install in their driveway.  When we got home in November I winterized the camper.  So the commode still isn’t vented and not usable for solids.  I plan to do that part of the install in March.

The preliminary install included:
    1. Removal of the OEM commode.
    2. Cutting out a piece of 3/4” plywood to the shape of the floor where the existing commode was mounted upon which to mount the composting toilet.
    3. Attaching 3/4” spacers (pieces of the plywood) under the edges of the plywood mounting platform to get it over the height of the existing toilet’s connection to the black tank pipe, which sticks up above the surface of the floor.
    4. Attached the composting toilet to the plywood platform with the hardware that came with the Airhead composting toilet.

I didn’t need to attach the plywood to the floor since the fit and weight of the plywood and commode held it in place.  I only plan to caulk it into place when I cover the plywood with linoleum during the final install.

It worked great!  We like the Airhead (we bought the “home” version, not the marine version, since it have a bigger more comfortable seat) since you don’t have to open the composting chamber to remove the liquids bottle.  It was no hassle to use and empty the liquids bottle.

Issues:
    1.  The commode sits high due to the height of the composting chamber.  I’m 5’9” tall and have no interest in feeling like a high altitude bomber when sitting on the commode.  So, I have a small folding foot stool that we will use when it goes into full service.  It will tuck behind the commode while showering or traveling.
    2.  I want to see if there is a way to tie the venting into the existing blackwater tank vent.  I’m guessing I can do it.  Someone did it with a 320, so if I can get to the blackwater vent pipe I’ll try the same thing.
    3. I don’t know if having the existing vent fan in the bathroom ceiling going with the door closed is going to be an issue. It may be possible that the ceiling fan will out-draw the commode vent fan and pull odors back through the composting chamber into the camper. Ugh!  One couple in a Sprinter van found that just opening another window in their camper prevented the problem.  We’ll see.

As of now, both my wife and I are very happy with the Airhead composting toilet.  We look forward to being able to boondock without worrying about a small blackwater tank, and dealing with dump stations.

While I complete the install I’ll take pictures and document things for posting in the forum.  If you install yours first I’d be very happy to know how you work the venting.  Otherwise, I’ll let you know what I come up with.