Options

Cool Search Tip

TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
edited December 2023 in Help - Computer & System
The forum search is a little bit weak, so I thought I would give a search tip that helps me to find more information. 

You can use google to limit your search to this forum.  Enter the following into your google search field:

site:http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com[place your search terms here]

so, if I wanted to search for information about tow vehicle tire pressure, I would enter the following

site:http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com tow vehicle tire pressure

The forum search tool will not give you any results, but Google will give you relevant results. It's pretty cool

Comments

• Options
    DonnabDonnab Member Posts: 60
    Thanks this is a big help!!

Donna 2017  Maryland resident Colorado land owner outback white/black Toyota Tacoma  ; )
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2017
    Google Search lets you use some logical operators too:
    • the word OR (OR must be in caps)
    • quotes around a specific phrase
    • Parenthesis, like in algebra
    • a minus sign in front of a word (w/ no space) to exclude any search results with that word
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Very interesting.  I noticed the difference in my search results by trial and error.  I used to make macros, or quick keys, to do take away multiple keystrokes.  Wish I could figure a way to do so to enter the first part of your search phrase before entering my desired search item on the iPad.  Save it and copy and paste perhaps?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    That's what I do. but it's still a bit of a multi-step process. I go to the address-bar of the current page, copy the address, open a new window, paste the address, edit out the extra stuff, and type the search terms. (it's only for serious seaches!)

TerryV6 said:
    ...... Wish I could figure a way to do so to enter the first part of your search phrase before entering my desired search item on the iPad.  Save it and copy and paste perhaps?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2017
    Good stuff and thank you all!   Ironically I am putting an email message together today to address the above issue as the forum search function obviously isn't getting the job done.  This is something we've discussed in the past behind the scenes and as a moderating team we will do our best to enhance this and other forum functions/features.  

Thanks again for posting this tip up because this is what makes this forum strong (it's members and their ability and desire to share knowledge with others) and why it has survived the test of time! 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike, I'd think it'd be pretty hard to meet the high bar of Google's search engine.
    But I have seen sites that use a Google search bar embedded in the pages, which specifically searches through that site's pages. The search results would include Google ads however, because, as we all know, that's what makes the world go 'round! And Google would also gain from it in knowing what we're searching for (somehow I can't imagine Google caring about what speed we tow our Tabs down the highway)...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I've done enough searches here with the "site" trick that when I type the word "site" in my "location bar" at the top of my Firefox window, the "search suggestions" open up and show me my previous searches.  I hit the suggested link, edit the search term in the Google search window for the search term I want, and click away.

I get this in the Google window:  led bulb sizes site:tab-rv.vanillaforums.com
    And just edit out the words in front of "site".  I don't have to do extra typing of the entire address this way.

I'm on other forums that have the Google search window, and this method still returns better results.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Ha! Great tip! Thanks.

I'd completely forgotten that google doesn't care what sequence the search terms are in.

I love learning new stuff.... Now if I could only remember it for next time I use 'site:'
    I've done enough searches here with the "site" trick that when I type the word "site" in my "location bar" at the top of my Firefox window, the "search suggestions" open up and show me my previous searches.  I hit the suggested link, edit the search term in the Google search window for the search term I want, and click away.

I get this in the Google window:  led bulb sizes site:tab-rv.vanillaforums.com
    And just edit out the words in front of "site".  I don't have to do extra typing of the entire address this way.

I'm on other forums that have the Google search window, and this method still returns better results.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ChanW,I moved this to the User Manuals/etc. category. I’ve been moving more and more help type threads there 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”