San Francisco Area

SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
We are needing a clean/safe area near San Francisco to camp.  We are wanting to drop the T@b off & head into San Francisco for the day.  I saw a couple of decent places in Bodega Bay but was wondering if there was anything more convenient.  We are planning to head towards Yosemite.  I know the fires have affected lots of the areas.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    It's about an hour from the campground at Olema to SF. There is also plenty to explore at Pt Reyes. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We were supposed to fly into SFO around 10/5, meet my brother in Bodega Bay (which is normally beautiful), then drive up the coast to meet friends who retired near Newport, OR.  The original plan was to take the T@B, but it’s a LONG drive to get there.  We know 2 families who’ve lost their houses in Santa Rosa...if it isn’t obvious, I’d stay away from that area for quite a while (roads blocked, limited services, smoke, fires still being fought, etc).

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Cal Fire has the latest on road closures and active fire efforts.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • TorzanneTorzanne Member Posts: 30
    There's a KOA in Petaluma that would be closer than Bodega Bay but it might be full with people who had to evacuate the fires or lost homes. 
  • TammaraTammara Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2017
    There have been a large number of people who have gone to surrounding campgrounds (Bodega, Olema, coastal areas north of SF) to escape the fires and smoke.  Most of the mandatory evacuations have been lifted, so people are returning to their homes in Santa Rosa, Petaluma, etc.  I would recommend going south of San Francisco. I would recommend Big Basin near Santa Cruz. Close to the coast, redwoods, and not a bad drive to SF proper. Do avoid the commute times--they are killer.  Between Santa Cruz and SF is Half Moon Bay.  I have not stayed there overnight, but have friends who have. Also a nice area.

Oh, and East Bay... Mount Diablo State Park. Several campgrounds at different elevations. Lots of hiking and great views. About an 45 min to hour drive into SF. Or go to Walnut Creek BART station and take BART in.  (There are also some nice regional parks. Not sure how they are for camping; we lived in the area so were there on day trips.)

Link to East Bay Regional Parks campgrounds http://www.ebparks.org/activities/camping/family 
    2017 T@B 320 S     Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
    States Visited Map

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Check out Candlestick RV park a little expensive but it is San Francisco.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
    We ended up staying in  Bodega Bay. I was actually surprised how well traffic flowed through Santa Rosa area. It was definitely devastating in areas but it was only spotty. The detour signs on Hwy 1 have been covered. Now needing a recommendation between SF and Yosemite 
  • ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    @SGH0004, you might want to check out if Groveland on Hiway 120 has any camping. I have only stopped to get gas in town and driven through so I do not have any recommendations for camping. If I remember right it is the last town before getting to the entrance to Yosemite.

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
    SGH0004 said:
    We ended up staying in  Bodega Bay. I was actually surprised how well traffic flowed through Santa Rosa area. It was definitely devastating in areas but it was only spotty. The detour signs on Hwy 1 have been covered. Now needing a recommendation between SF and Yosemite 
    It's only about 3.5hrs from SF to Yosemite. Why not drive straight through? 

Tom Stienstra’s book gives decent (7) ratings to the campgrounds at Melones Reservoir and Lake Tulloch but I can’t personally vouch for them. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    edited October 2017

We were supposed to fly into SFO around 10/5, meet my brother in Bodega Bay (which is normally beautiful), then drive up the coast to meet friends who retired near Newport, OR.  The original plan was to take the T@B, but it’s a LONG drive to get there.  We know 2 families who’ve lost their houses in Santa Rosa...if it isn’t obvious, I’d stay away from that area for quite a while (roads blocked, limited services, smoke, fires still being fought, etc).
    The impacted area is relatively confined. The fires are not a reason to cancel a trip to NoCal unless you were coming to visit specific wineries that are now closed. They are certainly not a reason to cancel a trip up or down the coast. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    We have a fire in Boulder Creek right now. No threat to Big Basin, but the smoke here is bad!
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks, @Marceline, for the news report. I have a favorite wine, Gnarly Head from Lodi or Manteca, CA and I sure hope to be able to find their wines.  It’s great to see the wineries, and other local businesses are recovering. Of course, I wish that for all businesses who have been hurt the recent natural disasters throughout our great country. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • TammaraTammara Member Posts: 34
    Verna said:
     I have a favorite wine, Gnarly Head from Lodi or Manteca, CA and I sure hope to be able to find their wines. 
    Good news. Gnarly Head (in Lodi) is in the Sacramento Valley and about a 100 miles from the fires. (I like their pinot grigio).
    2017 T@B 320 S     Jeep Cherokee 3.2L V6
    States Visited Map

• SGH0004SGH0004 Member Posts: 62
    We ended up staying in Samuel P Taylor State park.  Actually a pretty nice campground.  They were remodeling the restrooms next to our spot but other than that was great.  Approx 45 minute drive to San Francisco from there.