Autowbrake (worth checking out)

I picked this up on another thread. A little expensive, but really cool.

https://autowbrake.com/
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    Sounds like a great idea for any vehicle without a brake control already. Less wiring and no annoying module to hit your knee into.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • dluddlud Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2017
    I doesn't look much different in function than the Tekonsha Prodigy RF except that the Tekonsha gives you a wireless control in the TV to adjust the trailer braking as needed, i.e., maybe more braking (or less) in certain circumstances. The controller plugs into the cigarette lighter and I leave it in my console compartment. Have yet to hit my knee on it. And it's wireless so no additional wiring for the TV.
    https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-90250-Prodigy-Electronic-Control/dp/B001P0ZA86

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    I also have a tekonsha wireless. To use it you need a working charging line from the tv to the trailer to keep the trailer battery charged because it is the power source for the brakes. I understand the other braking system called the autowbrake operates without an active charging line such as in a 4 pin tv to trailer connector. I defer to those with more technical knowledge if that's not the case.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I also have a tekonsha wireless. To use it you need a working charging line from the tv to the trailer to keep the trailer battery charged because it is the power source for the brakes. I understand the other braking system called the autowbrake operates without an active charging line such as in a 4 pin tv to trailer connector. I defer to those with more technical knowledge if that's not the case.
    It can be wired either way. A separate power line or the tail light wire can be used. If the tail light wire is used you must drive with the headlights or parking lights on.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • dluddlud Member Posts: 32
    I suppose if your TV does not already have a 7 pin connector the autowbrake might make more sense as you could avoid the cost of that extra wiring and connector. I assumed everyone has a 7 pin connector in order to charge the T@B battery while driving but maybe that's not the case.
  • nolagringanolagringa Member Posts: 25
    If you're reading this because you're thinking of getting a Tekonsha Prodigy RF: a word to the wise.  You must have a 7-pin that is wired to terminal #4.  Apparently this is not common procedure if you got your 7-pin at UHaul.  I had to drive BACK to UHaul which is over 30 miles away to get the #4 wired and the mechanics didn't know what I meant.  "Wire it to what?"  "The battery," the Tekonsha tech support told me.  $85 later, it was wired and now the brake controller works.

If you're trying to calibrate and you're stuck at the brake stage and can't get the 0.0, this is probably your problem too.  The tech support was very helpful and figured it out within 30 seconds.