Thank you, and seeking recommendations for various items of gear, after first trip in 400

Took our first trip in the 400 this weekend and came up with a list of items we want to get for future trips. Looking for recommendations on a few of these from all the experienced hands on this forum:
- Non-slip tarp or light weight mat to go underneath our 5x8 outdoor woven plastic rug 
- 48 OZ electric water boiler, not plastic, but durable. 
- Camp lantern

We were very happy with and would recommend our Trekology lightweight aluminum folding table and FabHabitat recycled rug, both of which were purchased thru Amazon.

And thanks to this forum for the tips on Happy Camper black tank powder, camco slinky, plastic crates for holding gear, the need for a camp rug generally, the tip to put a rubber mat over the step to protect our dog's paws, RV toilet paper, water pressure regulator, cracking the windows at night for humidity control. We are totally new to RVs, so this was all super helpful info for first trip. All the 400 systems we have used so far (Alde heat/hot water, fridge, lighting system, usb charger, ac on shore power, tv, stereo) have worked great. The only thing that broke was the shear pin on the tongue crank. Fortunately this happened at home so my husband was able to come up with a temp fix.

Comments

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @AMac, The pin for the crank is actually called a roll pin. You should be able to get one at a local hardware store. Take a part of the old one along with you to check, and verify the size, as there are quite a few variables. They're cheap enough, so you might want to buy a spare as well.
    We use one of those woven mats for in front of our door as well. Not too sure if I'd go with something underneath, as it would retain water (not allow drainage) when it rains. Is the reason for the "non-slip" tarp due to the matt sliding  around? Ours has tie-downs on all four corners so we could stake it down, but I've found just placing items on top keeps it from moving around, even in the wind.
    Camp Lanterns : There are several to choose from. We have a Coleman propane, just because it was one we had from tent camping days. There are the newer LED battery operated ones, some that have re-chargeable batteries. My suggestion would be to go to Amazon, and check out several, and read the reviews on each one you choose to check out.
    The water boiler....I have an OLD blue 48oz coffee pot that I put either on the burner inside, or my Coleman stove outside. As far as electric...look around, I know a few folks that use the smaller version Keurig coffee pots that allow for hot water only as well. Lots of them on sale right now during the holidays.  :)
    It sounds like you're enjoying your new home away from home, and that's how it should be!!! Happy Camping to you & yours!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• AMacAMac Member Posts: 75
    @ericnliz, thanks for the feedback!  yes, my husband knew it was a roll pin and saved it in a baggie so he can get another (I'm the one who is challenged with mechanical vocabulary ☺). Rug pad is because our site was surfaced with sharp gravel, like an ABC stone and seemed like it could damage the rug. If this is an uncommon surface material, we wouldn't need a sacrificial tarp to put under it.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @AMac, I've had mine subjected to the same type gravel, and it seems to hold up surprisingly well under those type of conditions. Ours is about 7-8 years old & still does the job well. I usually give it a good rinse, and let it dry really good before storing it.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf