Options

towing TAB400 with Honda Ridgeline

I am looking at getting the Tab400 and towing it with a 2017 Honda Ridgeline.  Does anyone have any experience on how this combination would work?  Do you see the need for a weight distribution hitch?  Does the rear sag much?  I hear the suspension is pretty tight and sag is minimal but would like to hear from someone in the real world.

Comments

• Options
    JeffinnhJeffinnh Member Posts: 9
    We towed ours about 2000 miles last summer in RTL-E. Stock tires, no distribution hitch, minimal sag, and the tow hitched flipped over to get a level line to the truck. I would recommend mirror extensions, pull the trailer dry. We carry most of the travel weight (camp gear) in the truck. We have an fiberglass cap on the bed with a aftermarket tailgate lock. The tail gate when hitched to the trailer obviously does not swing out and when you drop it, it rests on the trailer hand jack lever handle. It is workable but not the ideal. I suspect a work around is out there to move the handle or get an electric lift.
    We generally tow with out cruise control engaged. Typically we run at 60-70 Mph. I have had it up to 80 with no sway. I use a Tekshoma P3 brake mounted with velcro under the driver side seat heat switch. The added plug from e trailer reached the coupling under the left side of the dash, no drilling no holes. MPG drops avg. 40%. The truck and trailer combination work and look very good together.
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    I would suggest a "Scan Gauge II" to monitor your transmission temps.  If it doesn't have a Trans cooler I would also suggest you install one as well.  The Rigline Forum may have other towing suggestions that Honda has not revealed..  Hondas are not known for having strong transmissions.  
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    I pulled a 3500lb construction trailer with a 2008 ridgeline for close to 250k with no problems. I have the 2017 black edition. The things I will change is a lift kit and and stiffer suspension. Other than that all is good.
  • Options
    JdcoupleJdcouple Member Posts: 96
    Jeffinnh said:
    We towed ours about 2000 miles last summer in RTL-E. Stock tires, no distribution hitch, minimal sag, and the tow hitched flipped over to get a level line to the truck. I would recommend mirror extensions, pull the trailer dry. We carry most of the travel weight (camp gear) in the truck. We have an fiberglass cap on the bed with a aftermarket tailgate lock. The tail gate when hitched to the trailer obviously does not swing out and when you drop it, it rests on the trailer hand jack lever handle. It is workable but not the ideal. I suspect a work around is out there to move the handle or get an electric lift.
    We generally tow with out cruise control engaged. Typically we run at 60-70 Mph. I have had it up to 80 with no sway. I use a Tekshoma P3 brake mounted with velcro under the driver side seat heat switch. The added plug from e trailer reached the coupling under the left side of the dash, no drilling no holes. MPG drops avg. 40%. The truck and trailer combination work and look very good together.
    Can you please post some pics. I'm shopping a new truck. 

2017 T@B Outback, 2000 Excursion V10 4x4

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    I tow a new 320S with a 2017 RTL-E and it pulls it very well with no issues. IMO the Ridgeline will handle the extra 200-250 pounds tongue weight and extra 1000 pounds gross with no issues as long as the weight is distributed properly. I would probably add one sway bar but not a weight distribution hitch. BTW I average around 16.7 mpg towing around 65. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI