T@B 320 S + Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost AWD

ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
I'm now intrigued by this combination. Sounds like an excellent fit on paper. Share any real life experience if you would, please. Florida RV Super Show in town this weekend. Thanks!
2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
Tampa, Florida

Comments

• ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • tfire328tfire328 Member Posts: 22
    We have this combo and it works very well for us. The Escape handles the T@b without complaint. We generally get about 14-16 mpg. That is mostly on flatter terrain. Perhaps someone in a more mountainous area can talk about their experiences in those areas, we are a little short of mountains in Michigan!
    Ted & Donna. Bay City, Michigan. Ford Escape, 2016 Tab Max-S

• dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    I also used this combo before I bought my Tacoma. The Escape 2.0 towed my T@b just fine. I have not had mountain experience either.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    My friend purchased the Ford Escape 2.o EcoBoost AWD to pull a lance 1575 which arguably is heavier. But I don't think he ever maxed out the GVWR of 3700 lbs probably kept it at 3000 or so. So this is not an apples to apples comparison, but on hills in California the computer system would regularly power him down to 25 mph, to keep it from overheating. That is why he sold it and bought a Nissan Frontier with 6500 lbs tow capacity.

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 72
    dsatwork said:
    My friend purchased the Ford Escape 2.o EcoBoost AWD to pull a lance 1575 which arguably is heavier. But I don't think he ever maxed out the GVWR of 3700 lbs probably kept it at 3000 or so. So this is not an apples to apples comparison, but on hills in California the computer system would regularly power him down to 25 mph, to keep it from overheating. That is why he sold it and bought a Nissan Frontier with 6500 lbs tow capacity.

Yikes! In my opinion you need a tow vehicle with a rating of at least 5000lbs to tow a Lance 1575. By the way the 1575 is a great Trailer.

2017 T@b 320 S

2017 Kia Sorento SXL AWD

@jason330i I absolutely agree with you but go to page 11 with towing and compatibility on the official Lance brochure and you'll see why he thought it was ok.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I have a 2014 with 2.0 boost engine an tow package.  Has worked well for me.
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2018
    Many vehicles have a maximum frontal area for the trailer as well as max weight.  The Ford Escape max trailer frontal area states 30 sf maximum.  My T@G is right at 30sf frontal, which puts the T@B out of range for towing with the Escape.  

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
    @WilliamA Let me just say that I never really understood the frontal square feet thing. But, I'm pretty sure it's figured on the exposed area above the TV. The Tag couldn't have 30 sf of exposed area with a Ford Escape Vehicle height 66.3 and the Tag is 72. So, that would be about 3sf of frontal exposure. Tab is 89" to the rails on the 320S so that might add up to 30sf. But it's also going at an angle which works to your advantage as well. Seems like it could pencil out. 
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    When frontal area is determined, the aerodynamics aren't factored in.  Irregardless of airflow dynamics, the actual total frontal area must make a hole (displace) the total frontal volume of the air it's moving through.  Of course the shape makes a difference in the efficiency, but the bottom line is that the total volume of disturbed air is what determines how much torque is required to do the work.  In most cases, the cross section of a vehicle is more important than its weight.  Once a load is moving, it takes relatively little extra power to maintain its momentum.  Cutting a hole in the air, however, is a relentless force that is constant.  Where tags/Tab's really shine is in exit flow or how the air column reassembles itself in the back of the vehicle.  Ever notice that airliners are much longer and sharper in the rear than the front?  Exit flow management.  All that said, you must, whatever the shape of the vehicle, move a column of air equal to the sum of its width X it's height.  Rather than reducing the total effect, the cross section of the TV often makes it worse because the air column must partially collapse and then triangulate to allow the trailer to pass.  Lots of disturbed air in there. It's a complex problem.  The bottom line is the torque required to make a tunnel remains high as opposed to how relative horsepower requirements can fall off once speed is attained.  

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
    @WilliamA Well there are forum users pulling with an escape without issue I'm pretty sure. I wonder why that's not a factor that is listed as a qualification for all car makers?
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
     @dsatwork
    A few thoughts on the Frontal Area discussion: 

1. Frontal Area [FA] is the total area in square feet of the tow vehicle and trailer exposed to air resistance. That statement or something like it is in most automobile manufacturer towing guides.

2. FORD is the only manufacturer that seems to publish FA limits yearly. I would guess more manufactures will do so as they comply with the SAE J29807 Recommended Practice guidelines for testing/marketing vehicle towing capability.

3. Recommended FA in general goes up with vehicle size and power.

Little cars = car only FA
       Escape size range = 30 sq-ft (base vehicle is 20 sq-ft) [2003 data]
       Next size (like Flex) = 40 sq-ft
       Many SUV and mid-size pick-ups = 50 to 55 sq-ft
       Full size pickups = 60 or more sq-ft

4. It is my understanding that FA is a vehicle performance issue more than a vehicle breakdown or safety issue. If you exceed your vehicle GVW, Axle Weights, CGVW, Trailer GVW, Tongue weight you will at best shorten the tow vehicle useful life while increasing your repair costs. Worse case overloading could cause an equipment failure and highway accident.

That I believe is not the case with FA.

Exceed FA recommendations and you could be spending even more on gas/fuel while towing, could have transmission heating problems, and will most likely drive with the vehicle feeling slow & under powered. How much an individual driver, vehicle, and trailer see these impacts will vary and be effected by many factors - - - driving style, speed, terrain, weather, etc

Years ago I towed a sailboat that was small and well sized for my tow vehicle with no issues. For the next larger sailboat the tow vehicle was not correctly matched and towing became a chore. One reason I have a T@B 320 S on order is to insure the trailer is well below all my tow vehicle limits and recommendations. I want my RV'ing travel to be a fun adventure not a chore.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Newbomb_TurkNewbomb_Turk Member Posts: 18
    We haul our Outback with a 2014 Escape Titanium.  Not sure about later models, but in the 2014’s, the only trim level with a 3500# towing capacity was the Titanium.  They come with a 4-pin electrical oulet, so we had a 7-pin installed.  

The first time we towed, we had a bit of porpoising, but installing sway control took care of that.

Last fall, we towed through NM and Colorado, including Wolf Creek Pass.  There’s a sweet little feature on the Escape that automatically reduces rpm when the engine temp gets too high, and that kicked in once on the way up the pass.

Other than that, the Escape / Outback combo has been a breeze.  

• mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Based on frontal art for T@B of 48.5 (height X width), it would take an explorer to pull the T@B.  I've got the Escape and it can easily handle the T@B.  I've had no problem with slowness or underpowered, heating problems, etc.  The gas mileage definitely takes a hit (16-18), but that is a common issue with vitally every tow vehicle.  I done mountains, steep terrain and some other pretty rugged terrain and have never had an issue with performance with the escape 2.0 with factory tow pulling my T@B.
  • rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41
    I have a 2013 Escape Titanium with the 2.0 Ecoboost and factory towing. We took our first trip this weekend up to North Higgins Lake in mid Michigan...about a 2.5 - 3 hour drive from home. We purchased a 2018 320 S late August and was very happy with how the T@B performed, bot towing and living in. My biggest disappoint meant was with my TV. We averaged 13-14 MPG, but when it cam to hills, the little lady had to rev high to make it up. Of course this is a 4 banger, so I get it, but wish there was a way to bring the revs down. Over all happy with the weekend.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S