Taller Guy Looking at Either 320 S Boondock or 400 - Need Help

Hello,

I was originally attracted to the 320 S as my first trailer. I'll be towing with a 2015 F150 5.0 SuperCrew. I think the issue I've seen is the trailer inside height, so I'm leaning towards the 400 but it's quite a bit more. Anyone in a similar situation and decide one way or the other?  Need help!
T@B 320 or 400 (NEED HELP!) / 2015 F150 5.0 SCREW / Passenger Pup Pepita

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    In terms of comfort, only you can determine what is tolerable. I’ve suggested before that people search on 6’ tall and read some of the many comments, as that could give you some insight. I think I remember someone who’s 6’5, but I could be wrong.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• moogoosmoogoos Member Posts: 4
    That has a wealth of info. Thanks Twojgrams
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @moogoos you need @ericnliz to chime in. He’s over 6’ and has a 320S.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I'm 6'1'' and have a 320 S and we sleep with our heads under the back compartments, not really a problem.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    I'm 6'2" and will be purchasing a 320 S. I've never seen a T@B up close and personal. I'm sure I'll be able to sleep in a 320 S, and, sit comfortably, but what about the toilet and shower? Can I make those two items work. I'm just looking for functionality. 
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @moogoos, I'm 6' and like @Homebodyatheart said, have a 320S T@B. We looked at a lot of trailers before purchasing our T@B. I initially had concerns about the height of the interior, as I'm sure you do as well. My thoughts are as follows: How often am I standing up-right inside the trailer? Not very often, mostly not at all to be perfectly frank about it. It's not like you're in there going on a walk-about. How often, and how much time are you going to be spending INSIDE your trailer, as opposed to being outside enjoying the whole reason you went on the trip to begin with. Personally, not a lot of time inside at all, I'd much rather be outside enjoying the sites around me. Even when I was tent camping, or with our tent trailer, same question....how often are you inside? I change, occasionally use the bathroom, shower & sleep. It only took one trip to get used to the height challenge. From then on, I don't even notice it anymore. If it's a huge concern, see if you can find a T@B rally close by, and talk to as many folks about your concerns as possible. Talk to them about as many configurations of the T@Bs available as you possibly can. You will get honest, straight-forward information from good, knowledgeable folks. Ha, just be a Zombie, most of 'em are used to it anyway!!! :rofl: Best of luck on your decision. Oh, and have a T@Bulous day! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• danp212danp212 Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2018
    I also have to completely agree with ericnliz, I'm 6' 2" and i've had my 320 S for 7 months now. 6 total trips (mostly winter camping I might add) and the height has never been an issue for me. Especially the bathroom/shower situation (its actually quite simple to shower sitting down). 

We spend the majority of our time outside the T@B when camping, including all cooking. There is really not a lot of time I am standing up inside the trailer other than getting dressed or using the sink. 

Regarding the bed, I ended up hitting my head quite a few times on the back storage compartment, so eventually we ended up turning around having our heads on the kitchen side. The downside of this is no headboard so often my pillow slides out during the night, not a big deal and easy to correct. The upside to this though is I was able to rig a bed extension that gives my feet an extra 6" of length, extending over the lower rear storage compartment area, which is quite nice given that the T@B bed is now longer than our King bed at home!! I've been meaning to write up a thread explaining how I did this because I think other tall T@B owners might appreciate the extra length as much as I have. In short I removed the lower rear storage lid entirely, and we use 2 Memory foam mattress toppers, the bottom one extends over the storage area to make for a nice comfy padded extension area. 

I was definitely interested in the 400 as well before purchasing the 320, but the first time I got inside the 320 I loved everything about it. The 400 size was also an issue as we can store the 320 in our driveway behind a car, but the extra 3' for the 400 would not have made that possible. Also the weight is quite nice as we pull it behind an Acura MDX and it makes for a very sporty and smooth towing experience. 

I would highly recommend seeing one (or both) in person. 
    2017 T@B Max S
  • skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    edited May 2018
    @moogoos
    From personal experience we can tell you both are great. We are 5’4” and 6’0” and we traveled back and forth across the country to all lower 48 states over four seasons with a T@B-CS. We did move up last year to a T@B 400 and tow it easily with a 2008 F-150. Considering that we are in it for months on end we appreciate the extra space and the roomy shower. You are looking at two good choices!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • moogoosmoogoos Member Posts: 4
    Thank you everyone for sharing your experience. I feel the 400 is the direction I'll likely go but still need to research!
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm 6'2+ and have gotten used to it, with only a few bumped noggins (on the ac unit).

We sleep crosswise, me a bit kitty-corner, but the bed feels large, no problem.

It takes some hunching to do the dishes.

The shower is definitely sit-down, as is any use of the toilet.

Keep in mind that both the 320 & 400 are teardrops, thus are only tall in certain parts if the interior in any case.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    My husband is the one who’s 6’5”. We have the S model with inside kitchen and sleep lengthwise. I made a bed extension so his side of the bed is long enough. The clamshell model would not work for him because the bed is way too short, and I believe the bed in the 400 is too short for him too. 

As as for the bathroom, he’s only used it a handful of times when the weather is horrendous and he doesn’t want to walk to the campground bathroom. And he’s never showered in there. 

I recommend you you spend some time thinking about how you will use the T@B before buying. It seems every week a nearly new T@B comes up for sale because it turned out to be whe wrong camper for someone!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    I'm 6'1" and that is why we are looking at the CS version with an outdoor shower. I plan to be outside except to sleep and use the bathroom anyway. I did go and sit on the toilet and I fit.
  • TamsonWITamsonWI Member Posts: 25
    Outback owner here (just came in from dewinterizing - finally!).  Hubs is 6'6" and has just gotten used to stooping.  As others have mentioned, it all depends on how much you're planning to spend in the camper.  We use ours as a rolling bed/motel room, so we're usually out and about on our adventures.  We do split up the camper duties so that he does most of the outside work where I do the inside work.  He does have to squeeze himself into the bathroom, but once in, though not roomy by any standards, there's enough space for him.  We both use the shower regularly.

The side tent helps a lot as he can stand up fully in it.  Makes getting dressed a lot more pleasant for him.  And like Photomom, we've had to make a bed extension for his feet to rest on.  I'm not sure the 400 bed would fit us, but I do envy the fact that the bed is alway set up.

As first time RVers, we really appreciated the small stature of the T@B 320 as it's easy to tow (we have a Toyota 4Runner) and easy to get into and out of campsites.  
    Tamson and Shannon, Hudson, WI
    2017 T@B Outback MaxS, 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail.
  • caa677276caa677276 Member Posts: 7
    I am 6' tall and also debated a 320 versus a 400.  We decided on the 400 because I was worried that I would always regret buying a 320 every time I hit my head on the ceiling or had to stand stooped over.  We took it camping for the first time last week.  I was very happy with the decision to have a taller ceiling.  I do fit in the bed but I occasionally needed to readjust my position because my feet were hitting the end.  Someone taller than 6' might struggle with the length of the bed.
  • Justin_in_SeattleJustin_in_Seattle Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2018
    At 6'3" I'm glad we decided on the 400. Ceiling height isn't an issue for my wife (she's 5'1") and my son is just 11yo. But when I'm standing cooking in the kitchen or showering in the bathroom -- or even just moving inside in general -- I'm very glad I have the extra ceiling height the 400 provides. No stooping or sore back.

For us the 400 is the Goldilocks size, not too big and not too small. :)
    2018 nuCamp T@B 400  +  2016 BMW X1 tow vehicle
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    We traded a R-Pod 171 for a 400 for a few reasons. I am just over 6'5" 275 # and the bathroom size and the bed fit nicely.  I can stretch out on the bed instead of fetal position.  I can shower standing which was impossible in the R-Pod.  The headroom for the dinette and galley is enough that I do not hit my head as I used to.  I am thrilled with the space in the 400.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
     Just to disagree with many more experienced and intelligent than I. I love the additional height if the 400. And I’m not that tsll, 6’1. It makes a difference to me.
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited August 2018
    I'm only 5 10 and I would love the extra height of the 400. The 320 works better for us boondocking right now. If I  shrink a bit more in my late 50s we'll probably keep it longer.  Lots of posts of me hitting my head in the 320. 🤪
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• gooddogs74gooddogs74 Member Posts: 76
    We have a 400.  I can't imagine my husband not being able to stand up.  It would drive him insane.  Everyone is different.  I actually use the camper by myself most of the time and I'm short, but I feel like I have the perfect amount of space.   
    2018 T@b 400
  • ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    Best thing you can do is put yourself inside each one. I was in the same place you are last year. The 320 is what initially caught my eye but then I compared them side by side at the dealership. I'm 6-1 and retiring at the end of the year at 66. I really liked standing up with extra headroom. Will make those rained-in days much more fun and less claustrophobic. 5 months until I place my order!
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida