Duct tape and bailing wire

db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
We managed to drive our Subaru Outback 30 miles out of the woods this weekend thanks to Gorilla tape and Fix a Flat.  Got a 2-3 inch cut in two tires.  While putting the spare on, heard another tire hissing. 😠 .Covered the cut with the tape, and used 2 cans of Fix A Flat, and made it to the tire shop.  BTW, no issue with the TPMS sensor from the Fix A Flat,  they had no trouble cleaning the wheel.  Needed new tires anyways. 😀

I've used duct tape to hold the T@bs front window together when it broke, and I have the tape backing up the fender well caulking to keep  dust out.

Haven't used bailing wire on the T@b yet.

So what's your favorite emergency repair?

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Found these at Fred Meyer. Designed for tire puncture. You just screw them into the hole. Then break off the “key handle, not a permanent fix.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I just call @Dalehelman!  If he can’t help me, no one can ;).  

(Sorry Marvin Raber, you’re still the greatest!)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Found these at Fred Meyer. Designed for tire puncture. You just screw them into the hole. Then break off the “key handle, not a permanent fix.
    I'm going to throw some of these in the kit, but believe it or not the handle is about the size of cut we had this weekend.  Very lucky I didn't have to ride the mountain bike for help.  Legs were already toast!

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @db_cooper, didn't you know that duct tape is like the "force". It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Duct tape & super glue are ALWAYS in my tool kit! @db_cooper, Nice improvisation to get out of a bad situation!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Newbomb_TurkNewbomb_Turk Member Posts: 18
    db_cooper said:
    We managed to drive our Subaru Outback 30 miles out of the woods this weekend thanks to Gorilla tape and Fix a Flat.  Got a 2-3 inch cut in two tires.  While putting the spare on, heard another tire hissing. 😠 .Covered the cut with the tape, and used 2 cans of Fix A Flat, and made it to the tire shop.  BTW, no issue with the TPMS sensor from the Fix A Flat,  they had no trouble cleaning the wheel.  Needed new tires anyways. 😀

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Nice to know you made it out.

now If you like woodland adventure, I woul suggest you go with AT tires for your Suby.  Sidewall should be tougher to ponctures.

There are many ways to fix a Tire off road, even the side walls.  You have just found one.  Good job!
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    Luckyj said:

now If you like woodland adventure, I woul suggest you go with AT tires for your Suby.  Sidewall should be tougher to ponctures.

There are many ways to fix a Tire off road, even the side walls.  You have just found one.  Good job!
    That's exactly what we did.  Put a set of Cooper HTP's on there, friends have liked them on their SUV's.

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    db_cooper said:
    Luckyj said:

That's exactly what we did.  Put a set of Cooper HTP's on there, friends have liked them on their SUV's.
    Not being familiar with the HTP, I looked it up, since H often stands for highway.  According to the description on Discount Tire, "A reliable truck and SUV tire designed for highway driving." 

In any case, I hope they serve you well, and keep you out of trouble. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I was at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, 7 miles at the end of a dirt road, started the TV and my left rear tire was at 29 PSI and the TPMS blinking at me.  Drove it out to the main part of the park, about 20 miles.  The tire held at 29....but there is no phone service, the closest "town" is 45 miles away, etc, etc.  At the little gas station in the park the attendant told me the "general store" near the Demotte Campground, about 20 miles up the road, had a guy there who could repair my tire.  I threw some air in the tire, and it held up on the drive to Demotte.  And sure enough, the guy there came out with a tiny repair kit and a spray bottle.  Spray the tire, roll a little, spray a little more, until he found the drill bit that was causing the leak.  Pulled the bit out, and popped in a repair plug.  Whole operation took 15 minutes and 15 dollars, and I drove 400 miles home.  Haven't seen a repair like that since my Bug in the 70's.

If you are ever at the North Rim and have a flat, talk to the General Store at Demotte.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    It as been a very long while since I have removed a flat tire from my vehicule.  Always prfer to plug them on the spot.  Use the jack to lift the tire from the ground, use a 12 volt compressor to locate the leak, remove the nail or whatever, clean the hole, insert the plug, air up, down from the jack, and back on the road until next flat. I always used rubber cement with the plug, never had to refix the plug until next 4 tire change.

shorter than changing for the spare.  But I will always carry a spare for those not fixable flat.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
    rkj__ said:
    db_cooper said:
    Luckyj said:

Not being familiar with the HTP, I looked it up, since H often stands for highway.  According to the description on Discount Tire, "A reliable truck and SUV tire designed for highway driving." 

In any case, I hope they serve you well, and keep you out of trouble. 
    A lot of the sizes are LT, but you are correct that the size I got is not.  Can't complain as I got a screaming deal.  Will use the Xterra if I ever drive that particular road again!