Options

T@B 320-S vs 320-CS-S pros/cons feedback on each

Hi. Trying to decide which model I would like better and would like some feedback from those who have each model what they like/dislike about each

Here are the things I like:
On both models the bathroom

On the 320-S
Extra sleeping footage allowing to sleep lengthwise.
U-Shape bench allowing a single person to sleep widthwise and retain bench seating
Indoir kitchen but concerned about lack of counterspace and retained cooking odors

320-CS-S
Outdoor kitchen, more prep space
2017 model like the extra bench but the 2018 model replaces the bench with cabinet drawers and counter which is great for storage
Disadvantage: lose of sleeping footage requiring to sleep widthwise, which is not an issue in height for us.(my son who is 5'8" fits). Would prefer a U shaped bench design though that woukd allow a single sleeper to create a bed (widthwise) and still retain some bench seating... saw on the forum where someone modified to create this by cutting the bench cushions in half and re-apolstering them.

Anyway, please give me your feedback on both models. Would be most appeciative

Comments

• Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We struggled with this as well. Finally decided 320-S Outback, we live in the PNW on the rainy side and like to camp in the early spring and late fall. We did not like the idea of cooking outside in the rain and wind. 
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited August 2017
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited August 2017
    It was easy for my wife and I.  We wanted the outdoor kitchen, we got the CS-S.  We go camping to be outside as much as possible.  There is tons of prep space.  Cooking inside the T@b would not be great for me, since I can't stand up inside, being 6ft tall.

The downsides do exist though.  When there is a lot of mosquitos, they tend to flock to the hot steamy pot of food you are cooking up.  Sleeping width wise is a bit of a compromise, but it works.  Also, not having a 3-way fridge can be a significant downside if camping without electrical hookup.

Our dog sleeps on the bench, which works really well.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    From everything I've read on the forum, it seems that the decision of S versus CS-S depends a lot on how you camp. If you've already been a camper then you might already know what you do.

At this point I always camp with other people, at the very least my teenaged sons who don't sleep in the camper. They are either in a tent or in their own tent hammocks. Therefore they need to have access to the food without bothering me so I went for the CS-S. Generally, though, we camp with other families or sometimes many other families in which case the kitchen is a social area so I knew I needed it outside. Also since I have the 2018 CS-S I have a counter space in front and could put an induction hotplate there if I needed.

In addition I'm short and my dog who also sleeps in the camper is too so the smaller bed isn't a problem for us.

Third, I camp in New England mostly. I hear the people who camp in places where there is high winds are more comfortable with the indoor kitchen.

I think what I hear most from people is that they don't really spend much day light hours inside the t@b so seating isn't so much of a problem. 

I would suggest considering whether you camp alone or with others and where you plan to camp mostly to direct your decision. 

Good luck and tell us what you decide and how it turned out. I got my t@b just this past June and am very happy with my decision. It makes my camping life so much easier and more comfortable.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts
  • Options
    DerecoDereco Member Posts: 89
    We faced the same questions, so here are the factors that led us to opt for an inside kitchen:

1. The bed is larger.  We are two adults + one child (and a small dog added later).

2. We had cooking gear for outside as we had camped before, as someone else noted above. And with cooking gear and a kitchen, we could cook outside or in. But if you get the kitchen in the rear, cooking inside, even boiling water, is not really an option?  So with the interior kitchen and a Coleman stove, we have an outside kitchen too. :) 

3. The interior kitchen provides the option to cook inside if we are waiting in a ferry line-up, or on the side of the road or at a Walmart, without having to get out and open a kitchen.

4. The interior fridge is/was 3-way when we bought but the outside one on the rear did not run off propane? (That is my recollection, but it may have changed) That is our preferred power source for the fridge.

5. While we liked the image of the exterior kitchen, and having the kitchen 'set-up' the minute you open the back, camp sites we have used are wider than they are longer: the picnic table area etc is usually to the side immediately when you exit the door from the trailer. A kitchen 'around the back' would mean at the end of the camp site, and it becomes a question of room and location. 

Trust this helps.

Derek 

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @geekmama, your comment re the kitchen is a social area reminds me of an old needle point I seemed to have misplaced-Breakfast, lunch or dinner, or just a cup of tea, served in the kitchen seems more friendly. Should be able to fit mimosa in there somehow.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    BoulderjayBoulderjay Member Posts: 37
    We love our 2018 CS-S... we love to cook and socialize and also feared bacon-smelling bedding!  We definitely wanted more counterspace though.  Since we use the Pahaque room tent as a second bedroom, moving the Laguna table to the left of the door wouldn't benefit us much...we don't hang out in the tent.  I found another easy spot to drill the bracket and VOILA!  I am sure I am not the first to do it but I love the extra space..

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @Boulderjay, you innovator you!  I think you are the first to do this with the Lagun table.  I have not seen it mounted on the driver side.  Good job and it makes for a nice, extra cooking surface.  What will you use to cover it in the rain?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2018
    Hi, one on the main reasons that I decided on a T@B 320 S was that it was available with the Boondock package, as my TV is a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and I wanted a camper that had plenty of clearance and I just fell in love the first time I saw the 320 Boondock in person.

The other big factor was the fact that I'm 6 feet tall and my boyfriend is 6-1, so we really needed the longer bed in the 430 S.

Finally, we are hikers and backpackers (as in tent campers) and we were looking for a 3-season base camp camper, where we could sleep and cooking in out of the elements. My home area is the Northern NH White Mountains, where it is often rainy/snowy.

We just completed our very first camping trip in our new 320 S.  We had a sudden thunderstorm right in the middle of cooking dinner the first evening, and I was VERY glad that we had an indoor kitchen area.  As others have posted, we have a small gas stove, so we still plan to cook outside sometimes. Up until last weekend, my only camping experience has been with my little backing tent, so it is really nice to know that we can just back into a camping spot during a storm and instantly have a dry place to cook and sleep!

It is wonderful that nuCamp offers both models as we get to pick what works best for each of us, but it can sometimes make for a tough decision.  Best of luck in selecting the model that works best for you.
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    @Boulderjay, I noticed you have not removed the black plastic inserts from the keder rail.  Most people just discard them.  
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Hi. Trying to decide which model I would like better and would like some feedback from those who have each model what they like/dislike about each

Here are the things I like:
    On both models the bathroom

On the 320-S
    Extra sleeping footage allowing to sleep lengthwise.
    U-Shape bench allowing a single person to sleep widthwise and retain bench seating
    Indoir kitchen but concerned about lack of counterspace and retained cooking odors

320-CS-S
    Outdoor kitchen, more prep space
    2017 model like the extra bench but the 2018 model replaces the bench with cabinet drawers and counter which is great for storage
    Disadvantage: lose of sleeping footage requiring to sleep widthwise, which is not an issue in height for us.(my son who is 5'8" fits). Would prefer a U shaped bench design though that woukd allow a single sleeper to create a bed (widthwise) and still retain some bench seating... saw on the forum where someone modified to create this by cutting the bench cushions in half and re-apolstering them.

Anyway, please give me your feedback on both models. Would be most appeciative

I have a CS and I camp on my own so I have made a single bed across the back and that leaves me two seats to use during the day. 

I think that the indoor kitchen model might be better if you intend to use it for camping in inclement weather (rain/cold) or moochdocking (staying in driveways).  There are also certain places (Harvest Host/some RV parks) where you can't cook outside.

I think that the CS is a little bit better for state park/national park camping where you want to cook outside and hang out by the campfire. You don't have to drag around a campstove and set up an outdoor kitchen. Just open the hatch. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We love our 2018 CS-S... we love to cook and socialize and also feared bacon-smelling bedding!  We definitely wanted more counterspace though.  Since we use the Pahaque room tent as a second bedroom, moving the Laguna table to the left of the door wouldn't benefit us much...we don't hang out in the tent.  I found another easy spot to drill the bracket and VOILA!  I am sure I am not the first to do it but I love the extra space..

If I get to go to uCamp next year, that will be my next purchase from them.  Outside Lagun mounts on either side of the clam just like you did. I especially want the one on the driver side for a dish washing station. Although, I'm thinking a plastic table top instead of the formica table top.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    We just used the table for the first time this weekend and it worked perfect!  We kept it up high for cutting board and dishes but we're able to drop it down lower to use our propane grill.

• Options
    @Boulderjay, I noticed you have not removed the black plastic inserts from the keder rail.  Most people just discard them.  
    I removed the one on the passenger side to install the Pahaque... maybe I should remove the driver's side as well...are People afraid of them collecting water or something?  Or just for aesthetics?
  • Options
    @Boulderjay, you innovator you!  I think you are the first to do this with the Lagun table.  I have not seen it mounted on the driver side.  Good job and it makes for a nice, extra cooking surface.  What will you use to cover it in the rain?
    Doh!
  • Options
    @BoulderjayBoulderjay said:
    I removed the one on the passenger side to install the Pahaque... maybe I should remove the driver's side as well...are People afraid of them collecting water or something?  Or just for aesthetics?
    Just aesthetics.  One less thing to deal with.