Options

Clamshell owners: Which galley configuration would you prefer?

It's interesting to see that NuCamp is making some changes to the non-clamshell T@B. As a 3-year clamshell owner, I think that they should also consider updating the clamshell model, so I'm asking questions related to that. 

Pull-out cooler

Front-loading fridge

San Francisco Bay Area
2013 CS-S us@gi
Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab

Clamshell owners: Which galley configuration would you prefer? 21 votes

I prefer the pull-out cooler
57% 12 votes
I prefer the front-loading refrigerator
38% 8 votes
I prefer no cooler or fridge
0% 0 votes
I don't have a preference
4% 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Not a clamshell owner...but the pullout ARB makes more sense to me in both CS and non CS configurations if they’re switching to 12v fridges anyway. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    We rarely use the refrigerator as a cooler. While it works just fine it is just too small for our uses. We use it as dry good storage. This winter it is coming out and being replaced with either a cabinet or pull out cooler.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @VictoriaP, the clamshells only have 2 way frigs.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    I don’t have a CS because of the bed size and non availability of an Outback/Boondock model at my time of purchase.  But I prefer a pullout cooler.  There is multiple high quality versions out there.  And by basic design, much more efficient.  
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @VictoriaP, the clamshells only have 2 way frigs.  
    Yes, and the 2021 prototype for the 320s removes the 3 way in favor of a 12v marine fridge as well, so they might as well swap them out for an ARB.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    We would prefer the pull out cooler as we do not currently use our 2 way fridge when we do not have shore power due to the power consumption. If the pull out cooler uses less power then we would be more inclined to use it. It would be an added bonus if the pull cooler had more capacity than our current 2 way fridge in our CS.
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    With the new cooling system inside the tab...there is no way for a pullout cooler...if you look at a picture of the galley the door beside the current fridge is only 1/2 of the size...I currently own a tag and love the norcold cooler and from what I've heard it even holds more food than the fridge...but by doing this you have lost outside storage...under the sink is already tight with all the plumbing...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @ontheroad.  You are right.  Here is a 2020 vs a 2018.  It looks like The Air8 takes up space in the bottom cabinet to the left of the frig.  I don’t think you can mount a pull out drawer for a cooler on top of the Air8 because the curve of the hatch - the door would not close and the height would interfere with the upper cabinets.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    I vote for pull out cooler because the frig is such and energy hog...    
    Frig configuration would be fine were it not for it's energy consumption.  
    We never trust that battery will last so we turn it off when no shore power available, might use it during day if solar suitcase has lots of sun. 
    I understand the pull out cooler shown above is very energy efficient.
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Vikings...from what I understand the draw is about 2 amps...my norcold in the T@g is about 4 amps...now that's an energy hog... that's why they provide the yeti now...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    ;-)
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    I am a very happy 2018 CS-S owner. I didn't get the TV back there so I have plenty of food storage. I use the front fridge all the time, including on battery.

As I've mentioned before, one of the reasons I love the outdoor galley is because I often have people traveling with me who don't sleep inside the camper, but are free to use the galley without bothering my "stuff" inside.

Depending on how many extra people I am camping with, I bring an extra cooler for each extra two or three people.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts